Eriol's Weekly Finnish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Eriol
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (advanced), Current target: Finnish, Past studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, French, Turkish.

Re: Eriol's Weekly Finnish Log

Postby Eriol » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:54 pm

A late update from last week:

In the beginning of the week I finished Supisuomea episode 4 and started on episode 5. Then I travelled to Finland and, as expected, didn't have much study time. At least I have managed to keep up my work with Anki.

I'm still in Finland and although I haven't really had much in terms of active practice I notice that I can understand a lot more than on my last trip, which was just two months ago. Visited a bookshop and ended up buying book 1 and 2 of Suomen Mestari. The first one might be a bit to easy for me, but I'm hoping to make use of both in my future studies.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 721
- New words this week: 67
- Mature words: 389
- Unseen words: 0
2 x

Eriol
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (advanced), Current target: Finnish, Past studies: German, Russian, Portuguese, French, Turkish.

Postby Eriol » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:58 pm

I'm back from Finland with a lot of inspiration but still not enough study-time. What I have managed to do this week is:

1. Finished Supisuomea episode 5. A lot of stuff on family relations and comparison of adjectives.
2. Read the two first chapters of Suomen Mestari 1 and did the exercises. This was mostly just simple repetition, but still there were some good points made that were less clear in the FSI-course. My plan is to rush through the first book quickly, only stopping in places where I feel that I need to.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 773
- New words this week: 52
- Mature words: 462
- Unseen words: 5
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Sun May 05, 2019 8:18 pm

I usually do a major part of my studying in the weekends but most of this one was spent celebrating my daughters first birthday, so I didn't find the time to do as much work as I wanted to. Still did all of Supisuomea episode 6, chapter 3 of Suomen mestari 1 and got a small start on chapter 4.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 849
- New words this week: 76
- Mature words: 531
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Sun May 12, 2019 10:27 pm

I have decided to try to spend more time with Suomen Mestari and a bit less om Supisuomea from now on. The plan is that I will get to the point where they are about equal in difficulty for me. Right now Suomen Mestari is good for reinforcing grammar points but there is almost no new vocabulary at all. Supisuomea on the other hand, still gives me about 60 new words from each 30 minute episode.

I have also got the feeling that I need a lot more listening practice and for that reason I reviewed all the "Elämä on Mukava"-parts from the first six episodes of Supisuomea before I started on episode 7 (which I still haven't completely finished). In Suomen mestari 1 I finished chapters 4 and 5. I found the explanations of verb types a lot more straightforward and easy than in in the FSI-course. Suddenly the verbs seem so much more manageable. :)

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 911
- New words this week: 62
- Mature words: 593

Oh, and I almost forgot that this week had the last lesson of my evening course after an unfortunate long break around Easter. We celebrated with typical Finnish food and played some word games. From now on it will be exclusively self-study for me.
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Sun May 19, 2019 10:01 pm

Another week with too little study time has ended. At least I managed to finish episode 7 of Supisuomea and chapter 6 in Suomen mestari. I'm enjoying the silly office-banter parts in Supisuomea (they seem to always forget all their meetings) but some of the language is a bit too much "puhekieli" for me to easily understand.

Suomen mestari has now reached the locative cases. Chapter 6 had a lot of practice on these and now I've gotten to the point where they feel pretty natural to me.

This weekend I also got some extra language practice when we organised a small play-date for Finnish-speaking kids around here. I didn't try to do much speaking myself but I realized I can understand quite a lot of the playground-lingo.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 983
- New words this week: 72
- Mature words: 651

I'm getting close to a four-digit wordcount in Anki, but I have decided to postpone the celebration until I have 1000 mature words to show. :)
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Tue May 28, 2019 9:54 am

I'm in a cabin in the mountains with somewhat sporadic internet access, but here comes the update from last week:

The idea was to concentrate on Suomen Mestari this week, but I still haven't done more than all of chapter 7 and about half of chapter 8. Since I haven't watched any Supisuomea at all there are fewer new words than usual. For this week I have a long bus- and train-trip planned and I'm hoping to get some undisturbed study-time then.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1017
- New words this week: 34
- Mature words: 714
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Tue May 28, 2019 4:45 pm

Hah, I'm in Finland now and bought exactly the same book and the Akateeminen Kirjakauppa. Suomen mestari, though I just got 1. Still in Finland now, but only for a week. Will peek at it more when I get back to USA.
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Almost finished the 9th and final chapter of Suomen Mestari 1 this week, but then there are also some extra exercises at the end of the book so not quit there yet...

Most language materials for adults seem to deal a lot with business- and work-related stuff. It's a good thing that I have access to a lot of children's books where the vocabulary is more interesting for me. The last one I read was "Pikkueläimet" where I learned to tell the difference between all the little critters such as hyttynen, kärpäinen and mehiläinen.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1052
- New words this week: 35
- Mature words: 763
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:57 pm

This week I finally finished Suomen mestari 1. Judging by how I did on the repetition exercises at the end of the book I know the material fairly well, but far from perfect. But it has never been my aim to overlearn anything, I don't have enough patience for that. Anyway, I enjoyed the course-format and I'm looking forward to book 2 in the series.

This weekend I returned to Supisuomea and watched episode 8, which had a health theme. Lot's of new words for me and I still haven't added everything to Anki. I have also read some more children's books, the last one was "Äkkää ja tökkää, Ulkona".

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1114
- New words this week: 62
- Mature words: 815
- Unseen words: 34
1 x

Eriol
White Belt

Postby Eriol » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:03 pm

A very late update for last week:

Very little progress on my study materials this week (just started on the first chapter of Suomen mestari 2 really), but on the other hand I went back to Finland at the end of the week and the plan is to stay for two weeks this time, celebrating midsummer among other things. So far the impression is that I understand even more than last time but I'm still pretty terrible at using the language actively. Need a lot more practice on that.

My Anki statistics:
- Total wordcount: 1162
- New words this week: 48
- Mature words: 860
1 x

Return to “Language logs”