Liberté, égalité, fraternité, français

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Lysander
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Liberté, égalité, fraternité, français

Postby Lysander » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:28 am

C'est l'heure.

I am back after an 8-month break from language learning. Though Portuguese went well for what little time I spent with it, French actually has a place in both my work and personal life. edit: I jinxed myself again, just like when I thought I'd use Persian for work potentially. :lol: I have been relocated to our division that deals with Latin America. So French is now on pause too. But I think I am going to wait a while before starting Spanish to see if this position sticks.

From experience with Portuguese, I decided to start off in a similar way. I edited New French With Ease to my liking, and am doing one lesson a day (I started a couple of weeks ago). This is how I do each lesson:

Morning
1) Read the English side of the dialogue.
2) Listen and silently read along with the French text.
3) Listen, pausing after each line and repeat it out loud twice. Then I compare with the English and read any grammar notes for that particular line.
4) Listen and silently read along with the French. Then listen and read along out loud with the French.
5) Same as #4, except the first time I read along silently with the English while hearing the French.

Evening
Repeat steps 1, 4, and 5 from above.

Since I edited the audio, the longest track of the entire course is only 1 minute and 49 seconds. It makes it quite easy to get in many repetitions.

Beyond Assimil, I had been simply listening and reading along to a few news articles at Euro News daily. As far as I can tell, this is not slowed down for learners and is "real" French. What I most like is the wide diversity of accents and delivery the readers use. There are a few who are pretty big on not sticking to the script, though. :lol:

Tonight, I actually came across Journal en français facile, which is similar in setup to NHK, but much more user friendly, though a bit shorter. I think this may supplant Euro News as my daily news source avec audio.

My library has a decent sized stack of Dover dual readers that I will work through. At that point, unfortunately, the library seems to only have a handful of French novels (an abundance of Spanish and Vietnamese, though), and I will look to transition to either reading French books on Kindle or looking to buy novels cheaply in bulk online.

Anyway, that is about it for now. Assimil, French news with audio, and easy dual readers. Oh, and some French music. I really like this album:

Slow and steady wins the race.
Last edited by Lysander on Mon May 06, 2019 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
8 x
: 0 / 30 Placeholder
: 8 / 100 Assimil - Passive Wave
: 0 / 100 Assimil - Active Wave

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2, B1-certified), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: Liberté, égalité, fraternité, français

Postby zjones » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Welcome to French. :twisted:

I look forward to following your log. If you can listen to Journal en français facile regularly, it will help you a lot. Despite the name, it's not dumbed down, and the speed of the presentation is not particularly slow either - depending on which présentateur you get, of course. There are also plenty of advanced expressions in JeFF that you can learn by checking the transcript.

If you like news, you might want to take a peek at the YouTube channels of RFI and LeMonde. They upload a few new videos every day, and some of them are subtitled. The narrator of LeMonde videos speaks very clearly. Sometimes I get tired of listening to JeFF every day, so I opt to watch a couple videos instead -- and because they're all about the same topic (current affairs) I can reinforce my vocabulary by learning from different sources.

Thanks for the song, too :)
2 x

Lysander
Yellow Belt

Postby Lysander » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:42 am

Today I finished reading Why We Sleep, which focuses on how poorly most people sleep, and the dire consequences we face on an individual and societal level as a result.

The full scope of benefits one receives from sufficient, qualty sleep goes well beyond matters of concern to this forum, but the list of benefits for a language learner is near endless. The impact of the quality of one's sleep, for better or worse, on one's memory is extreme.

Memorization improvement is one small example of many in the book for why sleep is helpful for language learning, but don't let crushing stacks of flash cards or surfing YouTube to find that perfectly subtitled French/Russia/whatever video keep you from getting enough shut-eye. Both you and your language learning will suffer for it.

If it isn't too close to your bedtime, here is a ~14:00 minute video with the author, made a few year's prior to the publication of the book, giving a taste of the research:

It may not even be news to you, but we can all probably use a reminder once in a while to head to bed on time. Bonne nuit et de beaux rêves!
1 x

Lysander
Yellow Belt

Postby Lysander » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:54 pm

zjones wrote:Welcome to French. :twisted:

I look forward to following your log. If you can listen to Journal en français facile regularly, it will help you a lot. Despite the name, it's not dumbed down, and the speed of the presentation is not particularly slow either - depending on which présentateur you get, of course. There are also plenty of advanced expressions in JeFF that you can learn by checking the transcript.

If you like news, you might want to take a peek at the YouTube channels of RFI and LeMonde. They upload a few new videos every day, and some of them are subtitled. The narrator of LeMonde videos speaks very clearly. Sometimes I get tired of listening to JeFF every day, so I opt to watch a couple videos instead -- and because they're all about the same topic (current affairs) I can reinforce my vocabulary by learning from different sources.

Thanks for the song, too :)

Thanks for being my first visitor :) French will definitely be an interesting journey. It somehow feels much more challenging than Brazilian Portuguese did, even though I took some French at university, but had no background in BP when beginning.

Journal en français facile definitely does not seem particularly slow, haha. When you use it, do you just listen and only use the transcript to check if you get lost? It is all feeling new to me, so I mostly just read along with the audio and let the obvious stuff ("Brexit", "Donald Trump", etc...) jump out at me. I figured more and more will come to stand out in time and that, for now at least, I didn't need to work too intensively with it.
0 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2, B1-certified), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi again!

Yes, I think the way you’re using Journal en français facile sounds great. The more advanced you get the more time you can spend working on pure listening. I’m in the B-levels so I usually focus on listening first and then going through with the transcript and focusing on the more difficult areas. Some days it’s easier, other days seem really difficult to follow.

Good luck!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”