el mono está en el árbol.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
frenchfish55
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian(N),English(C1),French(A2)-Active learning
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18440

Re: Le singe est dans l'arbre [EN->FR]

Postby frenchfish55 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:17 am

badger wrote:
frenchfish55 wrote:HI/Bonjour/ Is Philipp Pullman harder than Harry Potter?Why you don't read YA anymore?

Harry Potter, but rather less formulaic, repetitive & irritating. ;)

At least repetitions are good for language learning :-)
0 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:31 pm

not a great deal to report - I'm not doing any active study really except a bit of Anki now & then, but I'm still reading & watching for the Super Challenge.

I finished the 1,000+ pretty dense pages of Les Piliers de la Terre & watched the French-dubbed TV adaption.

I finished La Croisée des Mondes, as I said a few posts ago, & have found the French translations of La Belle Sauvage & La communauté des esprits.

I'm still watching The X-Files & am mid-way through the third season, but I started on them last year so they don't all count for the SC unfortunately. I'm also re-watching Au Service de la France - some actual non-dubbed French French for a change - this time with no FR subs, which I find very funny.
4 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:18 am

kind of a last day of the summer holidays feeling today - I promised myself I'd get back to studying on Sept 1st if I'm aiming to do the B1 exam in the spring. I have an iTalki session booked for tomorrow with someone I know already & I'm going to try to find a teacher to give me some structured lessons - maybe work through the Edito B1 book or something similar. I think the Spring exams are in March so that's six months which should be plenty if I put in the work & do a couple of iTalki sessions per week.

the plan is:
1. two hours of iTalki sessions per week
2. work through the Edito B1 book
3. work through the Grammaire progressive B1 book
4. finish the Super Challenge by year-end & start again to do the double
5. go to France - I have a work trip to Paris in October which I'll try to extend by a few days
6. learn the IPA

I started Un monde sans fin by Ken Follet - the sequel to Les Piliers de la Terre - expecting it to be familar language but jarringly it appears to have a different translator & to be written in a rather higher register. which is good I suppose - new vocab, new grammar - but I'm finding it rather heavier-going than the last one. 150 pages down, only about 1,200 to go ...

still working my way through the X-files & Au Service de la France. I attempted Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources but found the (I presume) Provençale accents a bit impenetrable so I ended up with English subs as it didn't have French ones. :(
6 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:10 am

badger wrote:I started Un monde sans fin by Ken Follet - the sequel to Les Piliers de la Terre - expecting it to be familar language but jarringly it appears to have a different translator & to be written in a rather higher register. which is good I suppose - new vocab, new grammar - but I'm finding it rather heavier-going than the last one. 150 pages down, only about 1,200 to go ...
If you find yourself avoiding it, it might be better to just ditch it early, and switch to something you find more readable.
3 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:53 am

DaveAgain wrote:If you find yourself avoiding it, it might be better to just ditch it early, and switch to something you find more readable.

I'm enjoying the story, so I will persevere. I'm probably over the "hump" of learning most of the new vocab & grammar, & it does seem to be getting easier.
3 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:16 pm

Alors, bonsoir à tous. an update of sorts ...

I did an iTalki session a week or so back which went fairly badly - I realized afterwards that I hadn't done one for four months which didn't help. I'm kind of stuck between the A2/GCSE-level "Je m'appele M. Le Blaireau, J'habite à .." sort of stuff & actually being able to construct enough French to talk about anything interesting. that, & the fact that I'm not terribly chatty even in English, so doing an hour of conversation is a struggle. somewhat relatedly, in the course of studying I chanced up the French for small-talk being les mondanités, which rather amused me. :)

I think I'm going to find a proper teacher on iTalki to give me some structured lessons - I did think about coming up with some plans for sessions with my existing "community tutors", give myself homework for correction & suchlike, but really, why have a dog & bark yourself? I'm also more likely to be shamed into doing the homework if someone else gives it to me. :lol:

still working my way through Un Monde sans Fin - I swear the translator was being paid by unique word - but I'm about half way through the 1,3k pages. I'm also a few hundred pages into La Communauté des Esprits. I'm just about at 50% for the Super Challenge.

also still watching The X-Files for the SC. 45 hours done, so I have 105 hours to complete before year-end & there are 104 days left in the year, so I guess I'll be doing an hour a day.

French exclamation of the week: Nom d'un chien !
5 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:48 pm

badger wrote:French exclamation of the week: Nom d'un chien !
Ça ne rime à rien! :-)
3 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:00 am

DaveAgain wrote:Ça ne rime à rien! :-)

I rather like this phrase péter plus haut que son cul :D
3 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:23 am

~250 pages of Un monde sans fin, ~100 pages of La Communauté des Esprits & ~10 hours of X-Files. I started doing Anki again too, somewhat more assiduously than I have been doing of late.

I've started on Un Village Français for a bit of viewing variety - I've watched it before with EN subs, but now doing it in FR only.

French expression of the week: avoir du pain sur la planche.

funnily enough "Nom d'un Chien" turned up in the X-Files last week - the Baader–Meinhof effect strikes again!
2 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:02 pm

alors, bonjour à tous. cette semaine j'ai été surtout ... watching comprehensible input. X-Files, Un Village Français, Au Service de la France, Amelie, La Belle Saison, some French YouTube stuff. also Wynona Earp, which is a bit like grown-up Buffy, which reminds me that I must re-watch Les Revenants at some point. all of which brings me up to 75 hours of watching, which is half a SuperChallenge. :)

I finished Un Monde Sans Fin which was an absolute brick of a book - 1,3k pretty dense pages, both in font size &, at times, grammar complexity. I found the DVD of the TV adaption second hand for a couple of quid, so I'll have that to watch shortly. 3,2k pages done for the SuperChallenge. :)

there has been some really good advice on some other thread lately. I've started appyling myself to the Edito B1 book a bit more consistently rather thaan just picking out the grammar. I also bought the Routledge Modern French Grammar book that someone recommended, which seems ecellent.

I wish the Institut Francais wouldd put up the 2023 testing dates. I suppose they'll be much the same as the 2022 ones, but it would be nice to know them still.

French Expression of the week: avoir du pain sur la planche
4 x

Return to “Language logs”