el mono está en el árbol.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Le singe est dans l'arbre [EN->FR]

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 am

badger wrote:
Le Baron wrote:I've heard other people say things dubbed into French are easier, but I've never experienced it.

my theory is that it may mostly be down to speed. the dubbed-into-French dialogue needs to match the originally-in-English dialogue to sync with what's happening on-screen, & I think natively-spoken English is generally a little slower than natively-spoken French, hence the dubbed-French is maybe a little slower than French-French. & perhaps also a little more clearly enunciated by voice actors in a booth than film/TV actors on a set.
In a dub you're less likely to hear unfamiliar native expressions, or cultural allusions. But I think clear speaking is a benefit you get too.
3 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:48 am

long time, no write in my log, so I thought I would add something.

I had kind of a break from language learning the back half of last year, but I have got back into it the last few months. rather gratifyingly I haven't lost too much of what I had learned already.

I finally got around to using some of the money I put on italki in my Jan 2020 new year's resolutions & have been doing my best English-policeman-from-Allo-Allo impression with a tutor. I am fairly dreadful - as might be expected from not really having spoken French since GCSE 30 years ago - but I seem to be able to make myself understood - albeit clumsily - & I don't really care about making mistakes so long as I can learn from them.

I think am going to book a B1 exam in London in October as soon as the enrolment opens in July to give myself a target to ficus my studies towards. I am also going to be France for a fortnight in June, so I can hopefully soak up some Gallic-ness then.

à la prochaine :)
11 x
Super Challenge progress French (double):
reading: 5000 / 5000 reading: 5000 / 5000
watching: 150 / 150 watching: 150 / 150

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Mon May 23, 2022 11:30 pm

bonjour à tous :)

I haven't done any italki for a few weeks. my initial half dozen or so lessons kind of got me over the hump of speaking to a French person & not having them look like they want to kill me for mangling their language (although they may just have been being polite), so I'm leaving it until I get back from my France trip in June to do any more. which is definitely the reason & certainly not that I was given homework to do that I haven't done. :oops:

I ended up paying for a month's subscription to kwiziq & I rather like it, & I think I will continue with it. quite a lot of it I know already, but there is definitely new stuff that I'm picking up, plus explanations of stuff that I'd picked up along the way without realizing it (eg neuter object pronoun).

so, for @LanguageLearner0007, here's about a fortnight's progress in map form:
kwiziq-11-05-2022.PNG

kwiziq-23-05-2022.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:21 am

badger wrote:bonjour à tous :)

I haven't done any italki for a few weeks. my initial half dozen or so lessons kind of got me over the hump of speaking to a French person & not having them look like they want to kill me for mangling their language (although they may just have been being polite), so I'm leaving it until I get back from my France trip in June to do any more. which is definitely the reason & certainly not that I was given homework to do that I haven't done. :oops:

I ended up paying for a month's subscription to kwiziq & I rather like it, & I think I will continue with it. quite a lot of it I know already, but there is definitely new stuff that I'm picking up, plus explanations of stuff that I'd picked up along the way without realizing it (eg neuter object pronoun).

so, for @LanguageLearner0007, here's about a fortnight's progress in map form:
kwiziq-11-05-2022.PNG

kwiziq-23-05-2022.PNG

Not bad! Still a lot to do.
0 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:33 pm

so I'm back from a fortnight in France & feeling full of the joys of French. I didn't do too much speaking - just asking for things in shops, campsites, etc. - but I soaked up a lot of everyday French vocab & came back with a new Anki deck of ~300 words with varying degrees of usefulness, like beetroot, roundabout & trebuchet.

I went to to quite a few bookshops & bought some books (& some nice IGN maps - I love maps :)), so they can go on my SuperChallenge reading list.

I have decided what I need to do is:

1. stop learning words & learn phrases instead
2. learn a lot more words :D

I did a bit more Kwiziq & have got some colour on all the B2 topics:
kwiziq-18-06-2022.PNG

but I've let my subscription lapse - all the content (which I really like) is there for free & it seems like it's just the quizzes & a few other minor things have to be paid for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
9 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:33 pm

badger wrote:so I'm back from a fortnight in France & feeling full of the joys of French. I didn't do too much speaking - just asking for things in shops, campsites, etc. - but I soaked up a lot of everyday French vocab & came back with a new Anki deck of ~300 words with varying degrees of usefulness, like beetroot, roundabout & trebuchet.
Where did you go?
2 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:47 pm

DaveAgain wrote:Where did you go?

Brittany/Normandy
2 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:38 pm

registration opened today for the October DELF exams in London & I have ... decided to wait until the spring. I daresay I could scrape through the exam if I crammed loads of italki & suchlike into the next few months, but I'm no good at studying in daylight & I'm not on a deadline.

I have been doing some reading for the SuperChallenge. I'm most of the way through the thousand pages of Ken Follett's "Les Piliers de la Terre", which I saw in the Mont-St-Michel gift shop when I was in France & picked up a second-hand copy of when I got back. it's not terribly literary, but flowery, literary language probably isn't the most useful thing for me to be reading, so I'm getting lots of useful, everyday vocab on mediaeval architecture & agriculture instead. :)
4 x

frenchfish55
Yellow Belt
Languages: Russian(N),English(C1),French(A2)-Active learning
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18440

Postby frenchfish55 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:51 pm

HI/Bonjour/ Is Philipp Pullman harder than Harry Potter?Why you don't read YA anymore?
0 x

badger
Green Belt

Postby badger » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:44 pm

frenchfish55 wrote:HI/Bonjour/ Is Philipp Pullman harder than Harry Potter?Why you don't read YA anymore?

I literally just finished re-reading À la Croisée des Momdes (Northern Lights) this afternoon. I will probably get the later two Book of Dust books to read too at some point.

I think they're probably a similar level of difficulty as Harry Potter, but rather less formulaic, repetitive & irritating. ;)
3 x

Return to “Language logs”