Le singe est dans l'arbre [EN->FR]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
badger
Orange Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Arabic, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Re: Le singe est dans l'arbre [EN->FR]

Postby badger » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:25 pm

alors, some aims for the year:

1. keep Anki'ing
2. keep reading
3. learn some grammar
4. PRODUCTION
5. go somewhere Francophone & speak French
6. learn some Linguistics
7. DELF B1 test?

1. I'm still working my way through my "5,000 common French words" deck & I have a verb conjugation deck that should keep me going for a while. it's a method that works for me - when I remember to do it - so I'm going to keep going with it.

2. I'm at ~2,500 words on my reading at the moment & want to get up to at least 10k by the end of the year. I have lots of books that I want to read, so I don't think this should be any hardship

3. I know lots of words but I'm not terribly good at putting them together to be able to experss myself, so some grammar would probably be useful. I have the B1 & B2 Nouvel Edito & the A2/B1 & B1/B2 Grammaire progressive books, so I have plenty of material!

4. I think I really need to grasp the nettle & do some iTalki (or similar) lessons this year as I have done zero speaking to a native French speaker for a decade or more. I should really write to my exchange partners too as I ahven't done that for a while.

5. I didn't make it to anywhere Francophone last year, but I really want to this year.

6. just for fun really, & because I like that sort of thing, I'd like to learn some Linguistics. I have some good book recommendations (https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12248) so I'm good to go on that.

7. not really as an aim in itself, but I'm toying with booking a DELF B1 exam for later in the year. & who knows, the urgency to become French might ramp up after Jan 31st. :shock:

oh, & I took the Dialang test again, previous scores in brackets:

Listening: B1 (B1)
Writing: B1 (A2)
Reading: C2 (B2)
Vocab: B1 (B2)
Structures: B1 (B1)

I'm not quite sure how I've gone backwards in vocab & C2 in reading doesn't seem terribly likely, but such are the vagueries of online tests I suppose.
3 x

badger
Orange Belt

Postby badger » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:38 am

so, the first full week of the new year & I have been getting some good studying done. I'm rather liking the "Grammaire progressive du francais" A2/B1 & B1/B2 books. I quite like grammar in a perverse sort of way, but it takes an effort to make it stick.

I've read a few hundred more pages of Le Miroir d'Ambre & I've also been reading Aitchison’s Linguistics which I'm finding really interesting.

I finally gave in & have also started watching Buffy. whilst I'm not getting every word without subtitles, I'm definitely getting a lot more than the gist. I may need to study some vampire-related vocab thogh. ;)

I have put some money on iTalki as an incetive to either use it or lose it. after this week things will be a bit quieter & I may even speak to a French person/ :shock:

I've really been feeling like I have been on the intermediate plateau for a looong time - learning a lot but not really proprtionately increasing my understanding of spoken French - but I seem to be starting to understand a lot more & being on the cusp of understanding the majority rather than not really very much, which is quite exciting. :)
1 x

willfr
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12172

Postby willfr » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:30 pm

Just wanted to say I’m enjoying reading your posts and look forward to the next update :)
1 x
I'm learning French and these are my current resources:
  • Grammaire Progressive du Français - Beginners & Intermediate
  • Schaum's French Grammar
  • Kwiziq
  • Alter Ego 3

366 Day Challenge: 14 / 366

badger
Orange Belt

Postby badger » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:36 am

not so much grammar since last time, I was ill for most of last week & it wasn't really going in, so I have been mostly reading.

I finished the last couple of hundred pages of Le Miroir d'Ambre & read all of Harry Potter à l'Ecole des Sorciers. I'm not a great fan of El Potter, but it's fairly easy reading to add to my 10k pages target.

I'm still sometimes mystified by y & en though - I get the obvious there and some/of them usages, but now & then I have no clue what they're referring to. I was quite amused by this in the entry for "en" on wordreference.com: "note: It is not always necessary to translate "en" into English". :?

I watched a few episodes of Braquo, which isn't a patch on Engrenages, but I'm on the third season, so it mustn't be completely terrible. And a few epsiodes of Buffy which is quite amusing in places, although perhaps not the places they intended - terrible SFX, etc.

I hadn't listened to Journal en Français Facile for a while, & when I did again this week it sounds noticeably slow, so my listening must have improved. I'm still not getting it all as I'm missing some news-type vocab, but it's nice to be able to notice some progress.
4 x

badger
Orange Belt

Postby badger » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 pm

I've been kind of busy the last couple of weeks, but still Anki'ing & I read Harry Potter et la Chambre des Secrets. time for a change from le garçon sorcier as it's starting to irritate me & I could do with doing some listening/watching. I may give Les Revenants another watch, without (French) subs this time, as I rather enjoyed that.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”