Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Blue Belt
Languages: Eng (n)

Re: Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:31 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:This series hold some promise, but will Mork last the course?
Il faut s'accrocher :-)
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:21 am

This week.

Ancient Greek
I finished Book 8 of The Histories of Herodotus with the help of Bowie's Green and White Commentary. The reading was more difficult that I expected.
Now I'm reading Appian's History of the Spanish Wars (Rome, Carthage, etc). Relatively easy, for Ancient Greek, anyway.

Spanish
I fell in love with Isabel Allende reading one of her short stories. Too far back to remember the story. Something about a judge, I think. Gradually I fell out of love with her, and even gave up on her. But something possessed, or nagged, me to buy another copy of El Amante Japonés and give it a try. Maybe Allende's sense of humor has always been there and I just missed it. But it definitely shows up in El Amante Japonés, making the novel a pleasure to read. Just 64 pages so far (out of 347).

French
Slow but steady going with La Grande Guerre des Frençais by Jean-Baptiste Duroselle. He writes of finances and alliances and politics, adding an interesting dimension to the longish, 450 page book.
Turns out I have an Audible version of Victor Hugo's Contemplations bought some time ago and then forgotten. I discovered listening to/reading it works better for listening practice than Easy French on Youtube, so voilà.

Latin
Puer Romanus is written in easy Latin. But it is rather long and I put it into LWT, which means painstakingly plowing through it marking known works known and so on. A tedious process, but I'm more than half way through. The authors incorporate lots of snippets of Latin poetry. Including one by Catullus that even I liked.
6 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

MorkTheFiddle
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424. Studying a bit of Latin and Japanese. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:39 pm

A private matter has taken up time and energy.
I have not read or listened to much, but I did make a decision about Ancient Greek moving on, and I made a wish list of works I want to read. I'll list just the authors, not works:
Appian, Arrian, Dio Cassius, Dio Chrysostom, Diodorus Siculus, Diogenes Laertius, Dionysus of Halicarnus, Epictetus, Herodotus, Marcus Aurelius, Nonnus, Plato (Republic Book 1), Plutarch, Polybius, Procopius, Quintus Smyrmaeus, Strabo, Xenophon (lesser works).
Will take a long while, obviously. ;)

Thursday in the supermarket I heard a member's name mentioned. A woman shopping and talking on her phone used the expression "No manches." :)
8 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

cjareck
Blue Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:55 pm

I am impressed by the list. I remember most names from my studies. Good luck with that! On the other hand I remember your LWT statistics and they are working in two ways for me. First - I will never start Antient Greek and second - I have to work harder with my languages in LWT :)
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Avigdor Kahalani, עז 77 (Heigths of Courage)
: 18 / 200

Assimil Chinese
: 16 / 200

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 12 / 140
Polish course Arabic for beginners
: 4 / 40

Return to “Language logs”