Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Postby Carmody » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Many thanks for France Bienvenue; it is new for me.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:05 pm

Carmody wrote:Many thanks for France Bienvenue; it is new for me.
You're welcome.

And while looking for a possible textbook to go along with the series, I found this log entry from Tom Gosse
French Resources
in which this series is listed as Bienvenue en France.
But I have not found a textbook.
So far I have watched 13 episodes. As I say, the episodes are short, 12-13 minutes long. The first half or so is dramatized and focuses on a young couple who work as stagiaires (trainees) in a Parisian hotel. Some of the plays are about their work, but the show also follows them about in their jaunts in Paris and beyond. One episode, for example, had the male and female leads going to a soccer game. In the second "classroom" half of the show, an instructor or two go over some of the vocabulary and grammar covered in the drama of the first half.
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:21 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
And while looking for a possible textbook to go along with the series, I found this log entry from Tom Gosse
French Resources
So far I have watched 13 episodes. As I say, the episodes are short, 12-13 minutes long. The first half or so is dramatized and focuses on a young couple who work as stagiaires (trainees) in a Parisian hotel. Some of the plays are about their work, but the show also follows them about in their jaunts in Paris and beyond. One episode, for example, had the male and female leads going to a soccer game. In the second "classroom" half of the show, an instructor or two go over some of the vocabulary and grammar covered in the drama of the first half.
The Credits mention an Annie Monnerie, and Babelio list a Hatier textbook by Annie Monnerie-Goarin.

https://www.babelio.com/livres/Monnerie ... eth/207794

https://www.babelio.com/livres/Monnerie ... que/207793
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:38 am

DaveAgain wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:
French Resources
The Credits mention an Annie Monnerie, and Babelio list a Hatier textbook by Annie Monnerie-Goarin.

https://www.babelio.com/livres/Monnerie ... eth/207794

https://www.babelio.com/livres/Monnerie ... que/207793
Thanks for your inquiries and for the links. Further investigation turned up one of the books on Amazon selling for a bit under $US 50. But without the Look Inside feature, hard to tell what I would get. I might be better off to write my own text. The grammar is French beginner, so stuff about y and en and leur and lui and the subjunctive and past tenses and irregular verbs and all the other usual suspects from Romance Languages' Ragtime Band.
We'll see how that goes, if it goes at all.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:29 pm

For the record:
Still reading Alexander by Plutarch in Ancient Greek.
Finished the French educational series Bienvenue en France, for a total of 26 episodes.
Finished through episode 11 of the Spanish educational series Extr@.
Continuing the audiobook La Bete humaine by Zola and La Regenta by Alas.
Listened to 18:34 minutes of the podcast/vlog French Voices Episode 100.
Listened to nearly 6 minutes of French with Victor, beginning French.

The older videos for Bienvenue en France and Extr@ show marked degragation in both video and audio quality. So much so that I found French Voices, for intermediates, much easier to hear and comprehend, than I found France Bienvenue and Extr@, which are for beginners. There were whole swaths of Bienvenue en France that I did not understand at all, but only a few words of French Voices. This was not a case of words deliberately poorly enunciated for learning purposes, probably the result of multiple recordings. Something to watch out for.

I am looking too for a series to watch in French and Spanish, not dubbed, with or without subs though preferably with them. For French, Baron Noir looks interesting. I'll scan this forum for reviews of it. Spanish still up in the air, though I still have DVDs of Ministerio del Tiempo that I could rewatch, though the idea is not very tempting.
9 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Postby Language patzer » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:09 am

This is a very intersting log! Happy to see someone reads Plutarch! I haven't since high school...
2 x
Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Francaises
Book 1, finished

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Language patzer wrote:This is a very intersting log! Happy to see someone reads Plutarch! I haven't since high school...

Thanks for stopping by. I came to Plutarch through Montaigne, who quotes him a lot. I am surprised you read Plutarch in high school. How did that come about, if I may ask?
0 x

Language patzer
Yellow Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Postby Language patzer » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:37 am

About Plutarch: in the junior classes we had a book with the parallel lives, but it was in modern greek. We got a good idea of what he was writing about, and I liked his work a lot. In the older classes we studied a lot of ancient texts from the original, including texts from Plutarch, but not one single work of his. To enter the university, one of the courses was ancient greek, which included a test on a known text (from the ones in our school books), and a test on an unknown text (attic greek). Which meant that we had to study as many possible texts from as many possible authors. Plutarch was always in there somewhere :lol: That was ages ago.

I'll try to find our first manual in ancient greek online, you may like it.

Edit: http://e-library.iep.edu.gr/iep/collection/browse/item.html?code=03-20556838&tab=02
Found it! You can download all these old school books for free. This is a great source.

Actually this is an earlier version of the book I was taught, but it's more or less the same.
8 x
Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Francaises
Book 1, finished

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Language patzer wrote:About Plutarch: in the junior classes we had a book with the parallel lives, but it was in modern greek. We got a good idea of what he was writing about, and I liked his work a lot. In the older classes we studied a lot of ancient texts from the original, including texts from Plutarch, but not one single work of his. To enter the university, one of the courses was ancient greek, which included a test on a known text (from the ones in our school books), and a test on an unknown text (attic greek). Which meant that we had to study as many possible texts from as many possible authors. Plutarch was always in there somewhere :lol: That was ages ago.
I am very remiss in not noticing your native language, which helps explain why you were reading Plutarch. I don't know whether Parallel Lives ever appeared in the curriculums of American high schools, but it should have and should be, IMHO.
Language patzer wrote:I'll try to find our first manual in ancient greek online, you may like it.

Edit: http://e-library.iep.edu.gr/iep/collection/browse/item.html?code=03-20556838&tab=02
Found it! You can download all these old school books for free. This is a great source.

Actually this is an earlier version of the book I was taught, but it's more or less the same.

Downloaded, and will look it over this afternoon or evening. Thanks a lot.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:07 pm

Progress
Ancient Greek
Finished The Life of Alexander by Plutarch.
Caught up with some grammar, namely, approaching the meaning and conjugation of compound verbs.
I discovered a way to find examples for frequently used such verbs. Both
Reading Greek by the JACT and Introduction to Attic Greek, 2d ed., by Donald J. Mastronarde include in the back matter a Greek-English glossary of basic vocabulary introduced by the book. (Other textbooks may have such a feature as well). Listed with the glossary is the number of the section in which the vocabulary item is used. Go to the section, find the definition of word in the sectional vocabulary, find the word or a form of it in the reading that accompanies the section, and voilà, a phrase or sentence illustrating the word.

Here is an example:
ἀναιρέω (ἀνελ-): one basic meaning is 'to pick up.'
In Reading Greek, the word is found in lesson 7G.
ἐμπεσόντες καὶ μαχεσάμονοι τοὺς νεκροὺς ἀνεῖλον . . . . ἔγνωσαν γυναῖκας οὔσας, ἀνελόντες τοὺς νεκρούς.
Ηdt 8.41 or 9.3 (Reading Greek 84)

ἀναιρέω, btw, is in the list of 500 frequent words compiled in the DCC Greek Core List, which provides a useful guide to what to learn first.

This method is useful because finding the term in the literature, as on Perseus or using AntConc can be like finding a needle in a haystack, and once you find the context the Greek may be beyond your understanding :? .

Spanish
Finished the 13th (the last) installment of Extr@. In the last episodes, the show freed itself of the sophomoric humor it relied on and became genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. I was sorry to see it end.
Watched La Casa de las Flores with subtitles on Netflix, episodes 1-7 as well as, somehow, the Funeral. Anyone here who has watched it knows that it is hilarious, and I will continue with it, with or without subtitles.
Watched the first episode of Ingobernable on Netflix with subtitles and will probably continue.

French
Watched the first 4 episodes of The Bureau, with subtitles, on Amazon's Sundance channel. The long dramatic pauses bored me so I dropped out.
Watched the first episode of the first season of Engrenages on Amazon and the second episode on the DVD I earlier bought :roll: of the first 8 episodes. I will continue. The subs on the DVD are hard coded.

I am now out of here until next year.
11 x

Return to “Language logs”