Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:57 pm

Carmody wrote:A question if I might re Hector Malot’s Conscience. I love Malot but am not able to find any discussion anywhere as to the plot of the book but just that it is free. (I like free). Can you tell me:

1-How did you come to know of this book and
2- What is the plot?
Thanks, Carmody.
The pdfs and the audio for the book are in a directory on my computer dated 2016, seven years ago to the exact month and day. The source was Gutenberg, pdf and mpd, I'm almost sure, and I was probably just fishing for books to read in French.
So far I finished only the first three chapters, all rather short, and there have been nothing but discussions about conscience and its effect or lack thereof. It is a book of fiction, and not a book to keep one awake at night, but nevertheless interesting.

I turned to it because I'm tired of all the usual suspects of 19th century fiction. I picked the 19th century because why, I thought, waste money when so much is available for free and because right now I want to rev up my vocabulary and listening comprehension. The reader of the book is not top notch, but she's tolerable.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:14 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:The pdfs and the audio for the book are in a directory on my computer dated 2016, seven years ago to the exact month and day. The source was Gutenberg, pdf and mpd, I'm almost sure, and I was probably just fishing for books to read in French.
So far I finished only the first three chapters, all rather short, and there have been nothing but discussions about conscience and its effect or lack thereof. It is a book of fiction, and not a book to keep one awake at night, but nevertheless interesting.
I was a little confused by this, because I thought Mr Malot wrote whodunnits, it turns out I was confusing him up with Leo Malet! :-)
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:52 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:The pdfs and the audio for the book are in a directory on my computer dated 2016, seven years ago to the exact month and day. The source was Gutenberg, pdf and mpd, I'm almost sure, and I was probably just fishing for books to read in French.
I was a little confused by this, because I thought Mr Malot wrote whodunnits, it turns out I was confusing him up with Leo Malet! :-)
Malot is most famous, according to Wikipedia, as the author of Sans Famille, which Wikipedia says has been made into several movies.
Carmody references a cartoon movie that he liked, Remi sans famille, in Fortheo's log. I assume it's the same story.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:55 pm

MorkTheFiddle »
Carmody wrote:
A question if I might re Hector Malot’s Conscience.
But I can not find any reviews or plot summaries anywhere...just curious.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:17 pm

Carmody wrote:
MorkTheFiddle »
Carmody wrote:
A question if I might re Hector Malot’s Conscience.
But I can not find any reviews or plot summaries anywhere...just curious.

Why not read a bit of it? And it's not hard reading at all. Here is the Gutenberg location: Conscience.
It does seem odd that there is nothing out there about it. Malot was rather well known, I think. :?
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:23 am

MorkTheFiddle »

Thanks so much for the link and the suggestion but I would prefer not to read it on line.

I am a Luddite and try to restrict my book reading to actual books I can hold and mark up, rather than to do my reading on the computer. Each to his own. I wish you well with the book and am eager to hear how the book goes for you. And if you ever run across a book review for it let me know.

We live in PA. surrounded by many Amish farms and markets so I feel very comfortable living the life of a
Luddite.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:43 pm

Carmody wrote:MorkTheFiddle »

Thanks so much for the link and the suggestion but I would prefer not to read it on line.

I am a Luddite and try to restrict my book reading to actual books I can hold and mark up, rather than to do my reading on the computer. Each to his own. I wish you well with the book and am eager to hear how the book goes for you. And if you ever run across a book review for it let me know.

We live in PA. surrounded by many Amish farms and markets so I feel very comfortable living the life of a
Luddite.
You are indeed in Luddite heaven, and I hear you about "real" books. I was merely suggesting a quick gander to see what Conscience is about. So far now, it has moved on from abstractions sort of, to the thoughts of the protagonist, Dr. Saniel, about getting married. His friends and acquaintances are all married, so he thinks he should be married, too. (Been there, done that, definitely not a good reason at all.)
4 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:29 pm

MorkTheFiddle »

Thanks for sharing your journey on this book; greatly appreciated.

enjoy!
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:15 pm

Not much since Monday

Spanish
Roberto Arlt, “Acuérdate de Azerbaijan,” text and audio, El Libro Total
Roberto Arlt, “Ejercicio de Artillería,” text and audio, 20 min, El Libro Total
These stories of Arlt are more clever than profound, interesting enough to listen to, pleasant voices.
Review of imperfect tense

French
Hector Malot, Conscience, Audio 2 (40 minutes) and read the text.
Hector Malot, Conscience, Audio 3 (42 minutes) and read the text (1.7-9). Protagonist Saniel hoping for a better job.
Review of imperfect tense

Ancient Greek
Read through chapter 90 of Thucydides's Melian Debate
Review and Anc Gr scriptorium 5 example sentences for 2nd aorists
Review 1st & 2nd aorist endings
6 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:56 pm

Spanish

RUBÉN DARÍO | 3 de sus MEJORES POEMAS de siempre, 6:16 minutes
Generación de 98: “Lo Fatal,” “Sonatina” and “Canción de Otoño en Primavera”

Roberto Arlt (reading and listening-El Libro Total)
“La Pista de los Dientes de Oro”
“Accidentado paseo a Moka” (27 min)
“El cazador de orquídeas” (25 minutes)
“El hombre del turbante verde” (20? minutes)

Julio Cortázar, Rayuela, reading and listening, Audible, narrated by Leandro Schintman, 21:13 minutes, Chapter 1 (first chapter)

French

Reading
La Guerre Seconde Mondiale, Quellen, 21% complete
Marcel Proust, Le temps retrouvé : résumé et analyse
from BacFrancais
Resume

Listening
L'histoire de la bataille de Monte Cassino – Documentaire, 49 minutes
Monte Cassino
La dernière offensive d’Hitler (La bataille des Ardennes) La 2de Guerre Mondiale

Hector Malot, Conscience
Audio 4 (39 minutes) and text (1.10-12): Murder! Underdeveloped fan fiction about Raskolnikov, though with the virtue of not having the perpetrator spend 40 million pages (actually, IIRC, only 200) on his couch for the build-up.
Audio 5 (40 min), 1.13-15. Crime discovered, investigation begins, killer contrives alibi I stopped here, lackluster voice, implausible plot.

Proust, Le temps retrouvé, Audible, 20 minutes.

Ancient Greek
Reading/Listening
Thucydides 5.90-116 (end) of the Melian Dialogue
Audio 5.84-116 Librivox recording 19:23 minutes

Reading Only
Greek Anthology
Anonymous 1.5.2 “τὴν καταφλεξίπολιν Σθενελαΐδα, τὴν βαρύμισθον,”
Antipater of Thessalonica 1.5.3 “ὄρθρος ἔβη, Χρύσιλλα, πάλαι δ᾽ ἠῷος ἀλέκτωρ”
Statyllius Flaccus 1.5.4 “ἀργύρεον νυχίων με συνίστορα πιστὸν ἐρώτων”

Alexander Romance 1.1-3. Using Bailly Dictionnaire Grec-Francais often for words not found in LSJ or Middle Liddell. Quit because of the awkwardness of look-ups.

Vocabulary Study. Some of the unknowns from The Melian Debate. Many of which are compounds or at least forms of known words. Some examples are παρ-οξυνομένους, παρα-μύθιον, λῆψις, περι-ουσίας, ὑπάρχον, λε-λείψ-εσθαι, ἀπειρό-κακον, ἄ-φρον, ἐγ-χειρίσασθαι, ὑπάρχοντα, περι-πεσεῖν, παρα-πλήσια, ἀνα-χωρῆσαι, ἀ-φανῆ, where the hyphens help highlight the clues. There are dozens of them in just this section; I must pay closer attention to such word parts in the future.
8 x

Return to “Language logs”