Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:07 pm

Perseus is my corpus.
My searches are conducted in a few different ways.
One way is Perseus's Greek Word Study Tool, I look up a word, then from there I use the Word Frequency Statistics tool for a list of the usages of the word's lemma in the Perseus corpus. Then I pick the author that interests me, if they are in the list.
Another way a bit more efficient is to use the Scaife Viewer and just type in a word of interest and see what comes up. The SCAIFE viewer uses Perseus and perhaps a few more texts.
Another tool is AntConc, which can do look-ups on local texts. There are not nearly as many texts on my computer as even in Perseus. rdearman first discussed AntConc in this forum, but the system right now is not letting me find the reference.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:11 pm

More from my Youtube subscriptions.
[Spanish]
DW Historias Latinas
El nuevo oro de Uruguay | Sabor Saber DW, 3:23

French
Nota Bene (tough one, takes all my concentration) Beware, now comes with ads. Also with French subtitles.
Le Sahara n'a pas toujours été un désert...,17:49
5 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:52 pm

Couple more subscriptions from Youtube, one Latin, one Spanish.

Latin
The Prince Sterling: readings in Latin
Caesar - de Bello Gallico. Liber I, 1:26:30
There are Latin and English subtitles. I like the timbre of the voice.

Spanish
Español avanzado y Cultura hispanohablante
El CID CAMPEADOR : el personaje «histórico» ‹ Curso de historia de España, 11:04
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:12 pm

This morning I found in Mastronarde, pages 154-155, a few verbs with strong aorists. Looking over the aorist roots, I realized some of them were among those words giving me problems. Also, aorists formed with a temporal augment, like, ᾔτησα from αἰτέω, can pose problems for me.

And more Youtube subscriptions whose videos are understandable for me:

Spanish
Last One for Spanish: gitanadhara12
La verdadera historia de Sherlock Holmesneuromante, 46:47

French
Notre Histoire
Sorciers et Prophètes-La France des mystères-Documentaire complet-HD-MG, 1:28:29
7 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:23 pm

From my Youtube subscriptions, one Ancient Greek, one French.

Ancient Greek
Podium Arts: [a few short] readings in Ancient Greek
Read in reconstructed Ancient Greek pronunciation by the resonant voice of Ioannis Stratakis.
The Fables of Aesop, part-02 (ed. C.Halm), 1:37

French
Destins—100% documentaires
Françoise Sagan, la fureur de vivre - Un jour, un destin - Documentaire portrait, 1:26:23
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:39 pm

More from my Youtube subscriptions. Only 4 more after these.
Both in French.

Radio France
70 ans du Choeur de Radio France, 9:02
with French subtitles

Terra Mirabilis
Aux origines de l'humanité - Les Premiers Pas [1/3] , 49:03
with auto-generated French subtitles.
6 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:49 pm

I really like those Destins—100% documentaires films. A really good way to get a good overview of important figures in French popular culture.
3 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:14 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Perseus is my corpus.
My searches are conducted in a few different ways.
One way is Perseus's Greek Word Study Tool, I look up a word, then from there I use the Word Frequency Statistics tool for a list of the usages of the word's lemma in the Perseus corpus. Then I pick the author that interests me, if they are in the list.
Another way a bit more efficient is to use the Scaife Viewer and just type in a word of interest and see what comes up. The SCAIFE viewer uses Perseus and perhaps a few more texts.
Another tool is AntConc, which can do look-ups on local texts. There are not nearly as many texts on my computer as even in Perseus. rdearman first discussed AntConc in this forum, but the system right now is not letting me find the reference.

I wrote a reply days ago, the forum ate it, and I've had a hard time getting back on since. I haven't used AntConc; I'll check it out. Have you tried the TLG? It allows you to search only for the form that comes from the lemma you want (e.g. only ἦρα from αἴρω, excluding ἦρα from ἐράω).
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:53 pm

Herodotean wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Another tool is AntConc, which can do look-ups on local texts. There are not nearly as many texts on my computer as even in Perseus. rdearman first discussed AntConc in this forum, but the system right now is not letting me find the reference.

I wrote a reply days ago, the forum ate it, and I've had a hard time getting back on since. I haven't used AntConc; I'll check it out. Have you tried the TLG? It allows you to search only for the form that comes from the lemma you want (e.g. only ἦρα from αἴρω, excluding ἦρα from ἐράω).

Using the forum is a challenge these days, but I know it will get worked out.
Thank you for the nudge to TLG. Heretofore I have been too lazy to drum up another user ID and password for what seemed to be a limited resource.
Now I've made a password and have found out that TLG has lots to offer to even limited users. I will play with it for a bit to familiarize myself with it.
AntConc does not offer more than TLG offers. There was a discussion of AntConc and n-grams, but the system is not allowing me to search for it. But this brief glance at TLG today tells me TLG makes AntConc superfluous.
The major focus of the discussion about n-grams was using AntConc to find the most frequent words (but not lemmas) in a text, the idea being to learn those words first.
I played around with the idea on Thucydides, but such a relatively long work limits the value of n-grams being used in that way. Thucydides's use of the language is more interesting than his lexicon. And Intertextual Phrase Matching looks like more fun. One idea would be to find which works can act as stepping stones to other, more difficult, texts.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:01 pm

Amandine wrote:I really like those Destins—100% documentaires films. A really good way to get a good overview of important figures in French popular culture.
That is a very good observation. The good pop singer Dalida, the perhaps underrated Romy Schneider, as examples. I also like the length of the videos, long enough to sink your teeth into.
Thanks for stopping by.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”