K-dramas: Here I come!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:00 pm

Quick update:

My japanese focused week is over. During this week I worked on kanji and written vocabulary, which is what I need the most.

As I continued to interact with korean (watching k-dramas with english subs and listening to korean songs) I felt that without the active learning activities I could assimilate certain things better (and notice more things too). So I think that this break every four weeks can help me to really assimilate the information I get during the active study weeks.

And now... I'm back to active korean learning! :D
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:52 am

One thing that has bothered me with the way I plan my study/learning activities is that I don't always have time to complete them in their assigned time/day (and I find this not only irritating, but also frustrating and kind of demotivating). After re-reading "The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills" by Daniel Coyle, I decided to change my approach and "gamify" all my study/learning activities. According to this author, the main principle for gamification is this: "If it can be counted, it can be turned into a game". Following this principle, I transformed my activities into an accountable way that motivates me and is flexible enough so that I can study/learn as much or as little as time allows each day.

For this gamification I have established the following goals:

1) Complete the 267 lessons from the TTMIK course on Memrise. (Currently at 18/267)

2) Complete the 283 lessons from the Vocabulary course on Memrise. (Currently at 2/283)

3) Watch 16 double 20-minutes segments in order to finish the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와). The first time I'll watch without subs, and the second time I'll watch with english subs. (Currently at 2/16)

4) Complete working through 1000 k-drama phrases/sentences. My plan with this is to use the Viki's Learn Mode, select the phrases/sentences that interest me the most and then focus on practicing reading and shadowing them until I can match (or almost match) the native's speed, intonation and emotion. I'll work with dramas/episodes I have watched already and read the english translation and the meaning of some individual words so that I can get a good general grasp of what I'm saying/practicing. (Currently at 1/1000)

5) Being able to completely sing along 20 slow songs while looking-at/reading the korean lyrics (I'll spare the rap parts, if they have those). (I have yet to try this out so that I can start counting)

On another front, I recently went to a korean restaurant and there I noticed that they had a korean teacher giving classes at a very good price, so I decided to join the classes which are once a week for about an hour and a half.
3 x

orange_slice
Languages: English (N), Spanish (N), Korean (low intermediate)

Postby orange_slice » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:26 am

AndyMeg wrote:5) Being able to completely sing along 20 slow songs while looking-at/reading the korean lyrics (I'll spare the rap parts, if they have those). (I have yet to try this out so that I can start counting)

This is quite fun to do; I've actually been working on rapping Zico's new song ANTI. It's tough at first but just requires a bit of practice.

Singing along to songs while reading the lyrics really helped my reading speed early on. I used to use the NetEase music app, since most if not all korean songs on there have lyrics included. However, a couple of years ago they started removing a lot of the Korean music, or making it premium.
1 x
my lingq: orange_slice~

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 pm

orange_slice wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:5) Being able to completely sing along 20 slow songs while looking-at/reading the korean lyrics (I'll spare the rap parts, if they have those). (I have yet to try this out so that I can start counting)

This is quite fun to do; I've actually been working on rapping Zico's new song ANTI. It's tough at first but just requires a bit of practice.

Singing along to songs while reading the lyrics really helped my reading speed early on.

I completely agree.

Wow! That's awesome! I have yet to accomplish my goal with slow songs, but in the future I would like to be able to do the rap part of my favorite songs too.
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 pm

I've been busy with lots of things to do and little time to study. I've also been sick (this year has been hard on my health). But since yesterday I'm officially back with my korean learning journey :D

I got a little bored of trying to study with "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와), so I decided to have a fresh start with another drama: "Strong Woman Do Bong-Soon" (힘쎈여자 도봉순).

Due to a busy schedule and a strong cold I missed two of my korean classes (classes are once a week). And this week we'll have our first exam :shock:

Now a brief update on the current state of my goals:

1) Complete the 267 lessons from the TTMIK course on Memrise. (Currently at 20/267)

2) Complete the 283 lessons from the Vocabulary course on Memrise. (Currently at 3/283)

3) Watch 48 double 20-minutes segments in order to finish the k-drama "Strong Woman Do Bong-Soon" (힘쎈여자 도봉순). The first time I'll watch without subs, and the second time I'll watch with english subs. (Currently at 4/48)

4) Complete working through 1000 k-drama phrases/sentences. (No change on this front. Currently at 1/1000)

5) Being able to completely sing along 20 slow songs while looking-at/reading the korean lyrics (I'll spare the rap parts, if they have those). (I've been listening a lot to some slow songs but I have yet to try to completely sing along while reading the lyrics. Sometimes I read along some parts of the lyrics but I haven't really focused on this activity to finish a song yet)
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 pm

ロータス wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:I got a little bored of trying to study with "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와), so I decided to have a fresh start with another drama: "Strong Woman Do Bong-Soon" (힘쎈여자 도봉순).

I just finished that drama a few days ago. Min Min was just adorable and I was really enjoying the drama up until the last few episode. Do Bong pulled a classic trope that just made me annoyed at her for the rest of the drama. Really thought it wasnt going to go there but it did :(. At that point I only cared about Min Min. The actor that played the best friend was a good sport, doing those scenes and they were so funny to watch. When you finish the drama, can you write to me what you thought about the last episode? I have mixed feeling on it xD

Yeah, no problem ;) . Just keep in mind that it may take a bit more than usual because with the double 20-minutes segments I'm actually watching each episode twice.
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:40 am

Quick update:

I continue watching "Strong Woman Do Bong-Soon" (힘쎈여자 도봉순). I've noticed some episodes seem to have korean subs, so I tried to watch a segment with korean subs and then watch the same segment a second time with english subs. I've realized I understad a bit more with the korean subs on, but I also find them distracting and I don't pay as much attention to the audio. Not sure what to do about that. (Maybe I could watch the first time without any subs and pay more attention to the audio, and then re-watch the same segment with dual subs <korean-english> using Viki's Learn Mode?)

I've noticed that I've started to understand a lot more than before. I even found some random korean movie without subs and even if I didn't understand the finer details, I could get enough to more or less follow the plot and enjoy it. It felt great! :D

I haven't been studying my Memrise courses. I've been busy with the material from my korean-language class, so now I started to make some personalized courses based on what I'm seeing on my classes.

Not much change with the other actvities either. My health hasn't been in the best shape and I've been really busy with other matters.
0 x

The Real CZ
White Belt

Postby The Real CZ » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:04 pm

Hey there! It was early 2011 when I started watching Korean dramas unsubbed and it took a few dramas, but my comprehension soared. I think it was because I had to focus more on the audio and rely less on the subs for comprehension.
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Quick update:

Last Sunday there was a korean cultural event where I take my classes and it was frustrating to notice I could recognize different words but I wasn't able to recall them when I needed to actually use them. This, and me getting bored of the way I'm using k-dramas and Memrise, made me re-think my study strategy/plan.

I have a vision of how I want to continue, but I'm still deciding the details.

I'll keep you updated and tell you more when my new plan is better organized ;)
0 x

qeadz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (~A2)

Postby qeadz » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Have you tried to use your Korean in those kinds of off-the-cuff situations before?

In my limited experience: One remembers the most words and grammar forms when talking to oneself, one recalls far less when talking to a tutor, and one recalls even less when its impromptu and off-the-cuff.

I'm interested to see what changes you decide to make to your study regime :)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”