Drp9341's Polish and (maybe) Italian Log!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
drp9341
White Belt
Languages: American English (N) Italian & Spanish (C1-C2) Brazilian Portuguese (B2) French (B1-B2) Polish (studying full time)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5978

Drp9341's Polish and (maybe) Italian Log!

Postby drp9341 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am

Hello everyone!

I post in this forum off and on, but I decided to finally make a log in order to keep track of exactly what I am doing to learn Polish.

Exactly a week ago I moved with my girlfriend to Łódź Poland, (she's Polish,) and as a language lover, I am going crazy because my communication skills are so limited.

I've never studied a Slavic language before. I've never even dabbled in one. I started to "flirt" with Polish back in February when I was living in Argentina, and I learned the basics, (maybe about ~100 words, some basic verb conjugations, the spelling system etc.) However, I stopped studying almost entirely during March and April, and started studying about 2-3 hours a day in May, (since I knew I was coming to Poland.)

I honestly really love the language. It sounds beautiful, and everyone I've met is super helpful and really cool, so I'm really trying to eventually get Polish up to a B2-C1 level. I know this will take a long time, but I'm willing to put in the effort. Now that I can understand some Polish I am realizing how closely related to other slavic languages Polish is. This is the perfect opportunity right now for me to get into another language family, so I'm jumping at this opportunity that's been afforded to me.

Polish is a very tricky language for me.
Every time I try to say something that's not super simple, people don't understand what I mean. I have a pretty decent vocabulary, and can conjugate the verbs well, but the way the language works is still is so mysterious.
I hang out with her friends and family often, and I get many opportunities to speak, but my level is still ~A2.

Here's my daily study routine.
1. Babbel's beginner lessons, just to get a better handle on the basics. (I got a free year long membership for doing a commercial for them.)
2. Assimil Le Polonais sans Peine. I am only on lesson 18, I've been doing it at a snails pace so that I can really absorb all the details of the lesson.
3. ANKI ANKI ANKI ANKI. I can't stress how much Anki has helped with the vocabulary and memorizing sentences. I put in all the new vocabulary, and probably use Anki for an hour a day, (I do it throughout the day in chunks, not all at once.)
4. ONE CASE A WEEK, (starting today haha) This week I'm working on the genitive (Dopełniacz). I understand when to use all the cases (like 75% of the time), but my problems is remembering how to properly decline the nouns.

I also have a very short attention span, so here's what I do: Every few weeks, (or whenever I feel like I'm getting burnt out,) I switch to a different resource.
These are the resources I have...
- Babbel, (which is a surprisingly decent software, I really thought it was going to be garbage.)
- Assimil
- Polish for Dummy's (haven't started it yet.)
- Anki
- http://www.lektorek.org

Thanks everyone! I'm going to post again soon when I've finished my studies for the day, and I'll write about what I did.
3 x

drp9341
White Belt
Languages: American English (N) Italian & Spanish (C1-C2) Brazilian Portuguese (B2) French (B1-B2) Polish (studying full time)

Re: Drp9341's Polish and (maybe) Italian Log!

Postby drp9341 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:21 pm

So here's what I did today:

I went over the Genitive Case in depth. Using this site http://mowicpopolsku.com/polish-grammar/cases/genitive/
I took notes on when it's used, and how to put nouns in the genitive case. This took about 90 minutes, and I'll continue to review this all week. * If anyone has any links to online quizzes I would be very thankful! *

Then, I did about half an hour of Anki.

Finally, I spent about an hour going over lessons 18 and 19 of Assimil Le Polonais sans Peine.
Let me explain how I'm using Anki, and if anyone has any advice, please feel free to share!
1. I listen to the dialogue a few times to see how much I understand
2. I read the French translation along with the audio to see if I can understand more.
3. I then read the Polish, and try to memorize the sentences.
4. Once I have the sentences sufficiently memorized, I put them into Anki. I also put the individual nouns I learned into Anki.
* a note on nouns: I put the English on the front of the card, and then I put the singular and plural of the noun in the nominative case on the back.

My Anki deck is getting huge. However, I've gotten such amazing results using Anki so far that I'm not really inclined to stop using it. I still have like 60 cards left to review from my deck for today, let's see how that goes!

My goal is to get to about a B1 level by the end of July. I don't know if this is possible, but I believe it might be if I continue studying at this rate.
2 x

drp9341
White Belt

Postby drp9341 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:43 am

I forgot to post this last night:

Finally things are making more sense. I'm getting to the point where I understand the structure of the language well enough that what's holding me back, (primarily) is now a lack of vocabulary. I'm not at that point yet, but it's getting there. When I read sentences written in Polish, if I know most of the words, I can understand the general structure of the sentence. This is very good. I was starting to get frustrated and felt like I wasn't making progress.

Yesterday I reviewed lesson 19 of Assimil, did lesson 20, and reviewed with Anki a bit. I also reviewed the genitive case some more.
It's hard to study in a studio apartment when theres a total of 4 people sleeping in it this week, lol. However, I'm making the best of it. Also, language learning aside, it's been a blast.

I went out to dinner with some friends, and got some drinks afterwards. I don't understand much of the conversation. Most of the times I can get the idea of what they're saying, but not always.

Most people I hang out with speak English very well. This is cool because I'm not isolated, but unfortunate since it would be strange to practice speaking my rudimentary Polish in these situations. Nonetheless, I still try to speak in Polish as often as possible, however most people are very excited to speak English with a native speaker.

These next few days are going to be spent traveling, so I'm planning on doing Babbel on my phone during car and train rides. The upside is, I will be hanging out in the countryside and going to a few parties over the next few days, so I expect there to be many opportunities to speak Polish, as I've been told the level of English there is very low. I'll post back in a few days and let everyone know how it goes!
1 x

drp9341
White Belt

Postby drp9341 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:08 pm

So it's been 5 days since I've posted.

Thursday to Sunday I stayed in the Polish countryside with my girlfriend's (quite large) family. None of them speak any English, and they were all extremely cool and friendly, so I spent Thursday night through Sunday morning speaking LOTS of Polish. As far as studying goes, I reviewed my Anki decks and the genitive case. However I learned lots of useful words and expressions from asking what things meant and using google translate.

I was actually quite shocked at how easy it was for me to communicate. I could converse about lots of topics, and I understood what was going on. I mad tons of mistakes I'm sure, but as far as communication goes, I didn't really have any problems.

This is going well, hopefully by the end of July I'll be speaking at around a B1 level.
4 x

Return to “Language logs”