Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Mork the Fiddle's 2019 Log

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu May 16, 2024 5:13 pm

I should revise my estimate. It was not ONE of the most boring, it was THE most boring. :lol:
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat May 18, 2024 7:25 pm

Spanish
Neteando con Kate del Castillo y Jessica Maldonado Facebook Live

15:28m
Promotion of a podcast, amusing, silly at times
Language Reactor

Chile después de Pinochet: La larga búsqueda de las víctimas de la dictadura militar | DW Documental

28:25m
Somber and sobering.
Language Reactor

French
Anouk vit avec l’une des grosses meutes de huskies de Suisse

14m
Passe-moi les jumelles (Thanks to Carmody for this series.)
Joyful life with her Huskies
Language Reactor

Illustratrice, conteuse, chanteuse . . . Gisèle s’inspire de la nature

26:28m
Passe-moi les jumelles (Thanks to Carmody for this series.)
A fulfilled life
Language Reactor
Ancient Greek

HuffingtonPost.Fr
Bits here and there about Pen, the Baltimore bridge, current 3-day weekend, Turkish president and Hamas, Trump trial, Guillain-Barre syndrome in Peru

Ancient Greek
I worked with Campbell's 1500 most frequent words in prose. A list that I had came without diacritical markings, so I used free ChatGPT4o to mark some (500 or so) of them, and well done, too. ChatGPT4o stopped at about 500 and then referred me to 3.5 (or was it C-3PO?). (So maybe over-hyped? Or maybe "free" don´t mean free? But I'm not getting into that, and please don´t anyone else in my log). All this for correcting what I put in LWT.
But it occurred to me that a better use for the list would be looking up examples of the words in
Thesaurus Linguae Graecae at University of California Irving (Thanks again to Herodotean), and studying them from that. So that's what I have started.
7 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat May 18, 2024 7:29 pm

M23 wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Remarkably, I have seen all ten, and liked seven. He picks for Number 1 Citizen Kane. For me, one of the most boring movies I've ever seen.

Preach it brother. The actors had the feel of a theater troupe that where not used to acting for the movies, so they did their theater thing and it shows in every scene. It was lit well, but I just cannot get past the acting.
Wanted to add that your assessment of the ensemble as a theater troupe seems spot on to me. This is not a move-ie, it's a story board for a movie.
1 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Sun May 19, 2024 5:50 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:bandes dessinées in Ancient Greek would also help a lot, but there are obviously none such.
Bedwere (of Textkit fame) is translating old comics in Ancient Greek and Latin. I can't really comment on the Greek but I trust his Latin. So far he has done:
- Ben Hur
- Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp
- She
- The Wizard of Oz
- Tom Sawyer.

He posts each page on Textkit, so people can comment and offer suggestions or corrections.
7 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat May 25, 2024 6:04 pm

Spanish
Nada esta semana. :oops:

French
Who is the real assassin of Henry IV? - The great crimes of history-Documentary-MG

Our History
Director: Imen Ghouali © MORGANE PRODUCTION - 2020
1:06:30h
Details the assassination of the controversial and influential king of France.
Recommended.
In French. Language Reactor

Ancient Greek
Follow-ups to past initiatives
1. Reading the LSJ entries for a few key words: φράζω, ἀποδείκνυμι, λαμβάνω.
2. Finding sample sentences for some of the nouns on Campbell's noun list.
3. Thumbing through texts left over on LWT that I have not seen since March of last year.
8 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jun 01, 2024 9:16 pm

French
En 1970, Henry Miller raconte sa vie d’ecrivain et les aleas de son existence
archivesRC

56:24m
Ever interesting, often thoughtful, surprising and amusing, Henry Miller discusses his life in letters. He has a good facility with French, though his accent is pure American. I understood him w/o the subs, which are atrocious. Recommended if you are older enough than dirt to know Miller and/or at least some of his work.
Henry Miller was interviewed for the Canadian public broadcast service.

Le Bureau Ses Legends S01E01 French WEBRip XviD ZTZone Telechargement ws
CgnqBrqDRfU
18:26m of 53:54. Stopped watching. Boring. What is the point of taking the time to build up a character who is little more than a cliche?
Language Reactor

Spanish
Los CELTAS en la peninsula iberica * Entre el MITO y la REALIDAD * El legado celta en Espana
Cronicas de la Historia

22:10m
Language Reactor
Sober however brief and in spite of the romantic splash page of the history and influence of Celts in Spain.

¿Por qué Gran Bretaña es el verdadero culpable de la Primera Guerra Mundial?
There WAS a video, but it is no longer available. So you'll never know por qué . :?
22:13m
Language Reactor

Las empresas chinas usan a Mexico para entrar a EE. UU.

12:55m
Language Reactor

Ancient Greek
Concentrating on constructions in the genitive absolute, with examples taken from different sources. One of those things I understand yet don´t understand. Taking the examples given in Frank Cole Babbitt, Grammar of Attic and Ionic Greek, and others, I am working out the literal translation of examples given. More on this later when I have finished with the examples I have gathered.
9 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Jun 02, 2024 7:46 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:French
En 1970, Henry Miller raconte sa vie d’ecrivain et les aleas de son existence
archivesRC
I've been taking a look through that archivesRC channel, and it's full of good stuff. Thanks for posting it. :-)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”