Jeffers' 2023-2024 French, Hindi, German log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Jeffers' 2023-2024 French, Hindi, German log

Postby jeffers » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:25 pm

This week was a holiday week, but instead of doing more study I did less than usual. First of all, my commute has become an essential part of my study, I use that 90 minutes or so each day to review the audio from my Assimil lessons. In addition, I had to take two of my children to London on two separate days, so those days I didn't do any study at all. However, I did study one or the other of my textbooks all the other days. It's funny that when I'm at work most of the day, I make better use of my time when I get home than when I'm at home all day long!

Hindi
I got up to lesson 39 in Assimil, which is a bit further than I got the last time I worked on the book (I think I got up to 35 or 36 before). Fortunately, most of the new material isn't completely new to me, and in fact I think this 7-day section of the textbook is a bit easier than the previous section.

Generally, it takes me 2 days to complete a lesson, at roughly 30 minutes per study session, plus time in between reviewing the audio from the current and previous lessons. So now I have 16 lessons left, which at my current rate of work should take 32 more days. The end of March, 35 days from now, is a realistic time to expect to finish, at which time I could spend some of my time in April doing reviews. Obviously, my goal isn't simply to finish the textbook, but the real target is to be able to read, watch and listen better in May. Also, talk better I guess, but that's not an immeditate goal! :D

German
German goes faster per chapter than Hindi, in that I complete a lesson in a single 25-30 minute session, as well as audio reviews. And today I just hit the last lesson I got to in my previous attempt to tackle Assimil German, lesson 48. I'm a bit nervous that things are going to get more difficult from this point onwards, since I expect more of the new material to be actually new than is the case with Hindi. However, I will definitely press on and still hope to keep up the one lesson per day pace. On the other hand, I am less concerned about my progress in German than I am for Hindi, because I have a lot more easy reading materials, with easy audio, in German. I would have a lot of accesccible German to be getting on with once May arrives even if I did no more study before then.

Sitrep:
Assimil Hindi: Lesson 39/55
Assimil German: Lesson 48/100
8 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

jeffers
Blue Belt

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)

Postby jeffers » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:27 pm

I don't do this often, but I thought I would share a couple of amusing sentences from Assimil Hindi. First of all, the texts are often mildly critical of post-independence governments. And when one of the characters meets a Gandhivadi (follower of Gandhi), he says:
यदि आज के हमारे मूर्ख नेता भी स्वराज का अर्थ समझते तो दोश को विश्व बैंक के पास गिरबी न रखते !
If today's foolish leaders also understood the meaning of self-rule they would not have mortgaged the country to the world bank!

And one that made me chuckle was:
इसे इधर भी मैकडॉनल्ड वाला खाना मिल्ता तो बड़ा ख़ुश रहता!
If he could get McDonald's food here also, he would be happy!

What made me smile more about that one is the French translation read: de la nourriture "Mac Do" for McDonald vala khana.

Finally, lesson 39 had a title which struck me as a bit strange, but on later review I realized that the title employs four different ways that Hindi has for possession:
उनके पास शतरंज है, उनमें कई गुण हैं, उनके पोते हैं, उनको सरदर्द हैं...
He has chess, he has several qualities, he has children, he has a headache...

The first phrase, unke paas shatranj hain, uses "un ke paas", which is only for separable possessions, like "he has a pencil".
The second phrase, unme kai gunn hain, uses "un me", literally within him, which is normally used for intangible qualities.
The third phrase is unke pote hain, which uses "un ke" without "paas", because children (or any family members) are not separable. The same method is used for body parts.
The final phrase uses "un ko", literally "to him", unko sardard hain, because a headache is something which happens to you.

Over the many years I have been studying Hindi it hadn't actually occurred to me that Hindi does not have any verb for "to have", until the Assimil course pointed this out while explaining how possession is described in Hindi.

Anyway, time for a sitrep ("situation report" for those who don't know):
Assimil Hindi: Lesson 43/55
Assimil German: Lesson 52/100 (which should be 53 later tonight!)
8 x

bombobuffoon
Yellow Belt
Languages: English N-C1
Finnish A0-A1

Postby bombobuffoon » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:41 am

All those years I spent on South West trains and I would have learned a language by now. Oh well. Great way to redeem the time.
3 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:33 pm

This week my German studies have been lagging, due to tiredness or whatever, and when I have to choose between German or Hindi, currently Hindi is the winner. At this point I doubt I will quite get Assimil German finished before May, but it's still possible. I've been meaning to sketch out my German plans for the Super Challenge, like I did for Hindi a couple weeks ago. Who knows, maybe this will rekindle my interest in study!

German Reading

Assimil
As with Hindi, one of the first things I think I will do is a full read-through of Assimil German, for review and to get the SC ball rolling. This might depend on whether I've finished the textbook (at least the first wave) or not.

Readers
Readers are going to be the cornerstone of my German SC, both for books and films. I have several volumes from Brian Smith's German Easy Reader series: vol 1, 2 & 3 plus the Pre-intermediate Reader. I will probably start off with the first volume, and work my way through the other two easy volumes. And then move on to Dino Lernt Deutsch, by André Klein.

I have the first 8 out of 12 volumes of Dino Lernt Deutsch on Kindle, and I plan to read them again from the first volume. I think I only read books 1-5 last SC, so I will likely just re-read those one time each, but I'll read books 6-8 a bit more intensively. What I did last time was to listen to a chapter first, maybe a few times, then read the chapter through without any vocabulary lookups. Unless not knowing a word really really bothers me! Then I did a second reading where I looked up everything I'm wasn't sure about, and finally a final read through of the chapter while listening to the audio. In other words, I treated the chapters a bit like Assimil lessons and I think it was a good way to work through the books. When I finish with the 8 volumes I already own, I'll buy the collector's edition of books 9-12 and do the same thing.

That much of the plan will probably happen just as I described it. What happens next will be more based on my particular mood at the time. I will likely turn back to Brian Smith and work through his Pre-intermediate Reader followed by his Intermediate Reader. After that, I would like to turn to some of Brian Smith's more recent themed readers, which look like they could be more interesting. They have titles like, Learn German with Dark Fantasy Stories and Learn German with Time Travel Stories, but each volume seems to be intened to be a bit more challenging than the previous, so volume 1 is rated as A1 and volume 23, Learn German with The Most Persecuted People in History, claims to be for B2 learners. At this point I honestly don't know if I would try to read them all, or pick and choose. Amazon sells them on Kindle for £3.27 each or £75.04 for the whole set, a whopping savings of £0.17!! There's really no incentive to buy the set as a whole, so I might as well try one and see how I like it.

And/or.... André Klein has another series of readers, which are detective stories, called the Baumgartner & Momsen Detective Stories. There are five books in this series, and according to the author's website, they are aimed at B1/B2 learners.

Other books
All of that is probably enough to do my half challenge. But I have a few other German reading interests in reserve:
  • Emil und die Detektive by Erich Kästner, for which I already own the paperback and the audible audiobook
  • Momo by Michael Ende, of which I own the Kindle book and Audible audiobook
  • Harry Potter, because why not?

German Films
For this half Super Challenge in German, "films" means "audiobooks" for the most part. The Brian Smith easy readers all have free audio, so I will listen to them in parallel to reading the books. Most likely many times over and over again. Sadly his themed reader series has no audio. André Klein has audiobooks for his Dino series. The first few are so damn slow I will skip them, but I will probably listen to the audio for volumes 5-12 in parallel to working through those books. Again, most likely I will listen many times to each one.

There are a few series in German I have my eye on. I might re-watch Babylon Berlin series 1-3, and then try to watch series 4, but I would be relying on English subtitles for these at this point. It's possible that later in the challenge watching a series with German subtitles might be feasible (but the Babyon Berlin versions available to me only have English subs or none). This sort of thing I would consider as, useful and interesting, but not quite as useful as my other plans.

And that's about it. As you can see, my German SC plans revolve around readers and the accompanying audiobooks. Maybe near the end of this SC I will be ready for fully native material, or I might save it for next time. I'm in no rush, as long as I'm learning, making progress and enjoying the ride.

Some time I need to start adding up the page numbers for my intended books in both Hindi and German so I can have a realistic idea of how far in the challenge they will take me. But that is a job for another month!
8 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:25 pm

I have definitely slowed down over the past couple of weeks. I think I've only completed 1 German lesson in the past 9 days or so, and 2 Hindi lessons. I am quite busy at work right now--marking, marking, marking because grades for all years I teach must be submitted by Monday. But also I think I'm just getting learning fatigue, the "bow wave" analogy that Leosmith described so well. Basically, I've taken on a lot of new things in two languages, and my brain needs time to process this but the processing rate is slowing down my new acquisition. As the analogy goes, I've built up a bow wave in front of my boat and I need to slow down to let the wave die down. I've never actively studied two languages at once before. It hasn't gone too badly, but it has probably shortened the amount of time I can focus intensively on each of them. In retrospect, it might have been better to work on one language for six weeks, and then the other for six weeks. Who knows what would have been more efficient. The important thing is that I have been enjoying (mostly) doing a lot of study, and I am making noticable progress.

The other decision I am questioning is putting off any reading until the Super Challenge begins. I honestly believe I would have been better served by doing a bit of reading between Assimil lessons, because I expect new structures that have come up in the textbook would have appeared from time to time in my reading, which would have been good for reviewing and reinforcing the lessons. However, I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done this on top of working on two Assimil books.

The current state of play is that I still expect I will finish Assimil Hindi before May, but Assimil German might take a little bit longer. Meanwhile, even on days when I do not actively work on a lesson, I am spending at least 35-40 minutes on each language, reviewing the audio for recent lessons. German on the way to work, Hindi on the way home, plus 20 minutes of one or the other while walking the dog.

Sitrep:
Assimil Hindi: Lesson 45/55
Assimil German: Lesson 53/100
8 x

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 pm

When the 6WC came to an end last week I decided to take the day off, and then the week, and then TBA. I'm too busy with work, and a bit mentally tired as well. I am still doing audio reviews of both German and Hindi Assimil lessons every day, but I'm not going to do any textbook work for a little while. I still think I will finish Assimil Hindi before May, but this won't happen with German.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”