עִבְרִית לְעוֹלָם וָעֶד

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: עִבְרִית לְעוֹלָם וָעֶד

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:19 am

cjareck wrote:
Querneus wrote:It's very common across many languages that babies/toddlers call their parents with words of similar simple and repeated shape,

I was fully aware of that, but I considered "tata" to be unique for Polish. Thanks to you and the linked article, I know how wrong I was ;)

All that said, Yiddish has such strong Slavic influence that linguist Paul Wexler controversially hypothesized that Yiddish is not a Germanic language but rather Judeo-Sorbian that was relexified by German. So טאַטע could come from Polish or another Slavic language. Or, going by Querneus's link about PIE *tata, it could be Germanic or of some other Indo-European origin, or of course just random baby babbling.
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:26 pm

לפניי שבועיים היה היום הולדת שלי, ואשתי שאלה לי מה רציתי כמתנת יום הולדת. לא ידעתי מה רציתי, אבל אחר כך היה לי רעיון! אשתי לא אוכלת דג, אבל אני אוהב מאוד סושי. אז אמרתי לה: את יושבת עם הבת שלנו, זה המתנה שלי! ואני אוכל סושי במסעדה.

שם המסעדה או־יה. זה מסעדה בבוסטון יכרה מאוד אבל טעימה מאוד! אף פעם לא אכלתי אומקסי לפני הארוחה הזאת. זה יופי!
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:30 pm

Not much of an update, just wanted to jot down what my next small projects are:
  1. Finish putting the vocabulary from chapters 1-15 of my textbook into my Anki deck. I have about 4 chapters to go.
  2. Copy down every story from chapters 1-15 by hand. This will train my handwriting and also help to put the vocabulary into context.
Once that's done, I think I'm officially done with the catch-up phase of this course and I can devote more time to other things. I've built up quite a backlog of opening lines to review on Chessable and I'll need to get through them before I can start in on the King's Indian Attack quickstarter. I think I'm getting close to where I want to be to start playing pvp chess games.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

louisianne
White Belt
Languages: Spanish and French, Catalan (Native), English (Fluent), German (B1), Arabic (B2), Russian (A2), Hebrew (A2), Persian (A2), Norwegian and Swedish (A1)

Postby louisianne » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:29 am

שלום, אני גם לומדת עברית. הרמה שלי בינונית. ועדיין קשה לי לכתוב בעברית. אז החלטתי להתחיל יומן קטן כדי להתאמן בכתב יד מעת לעת
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:44 am

גם אני צריך ללמוד כתב יד. אבל אני לא אתחיל לכתוב יומן. אני צריך לקרוא מסמכים מדווחים שאפילו כתוב בשדה הקרב. כתב יד שם גרוע מאוד לא דומה לכתב יד שלומדים. אז אני רק משתדל לקרוא ולא לכתוב.
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:55 pm

תודה לשניכם שכתבתם פה! בהצלחה ל־louisianne עם היומן ול־cjareck עם המסמכים!
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:33 pm

I haven't updated in a while so here's a big one!

עבכית

Things are still going well with the Hebrew class. It's pretty slow, so there's not much pressure. I've been doing my homework but I fell behind with my Anki reviews. I've really gotten sucked into studying chess openings which has taken up most of my free time. More on that later.

I've passed the half-way mark in the third and final unit of Pimsleur Hebrew. I should look into starting FSI Hebrew soon if I can fit it into my schedule. However, I also want to start working on Spanish again. I haven't made any progress on Assimil l'hébreu. Not sure if I'll keep going with that.

I've had a couple of people tell me that I speak Hebrew with a French accent. I'm trying to make my accent a bit more Israeli sounding, but French accented Hebrew is not that bad, the accents have a lot in common.

Español

My daughter is going into the public schools and there are a lot of Spanish speaking students and families, so I want to improve my Spanish soon. Working in Boston I get to eavesdrop on Spanish speakers every day and there are lots of chances for interaction. I also want to be able to talk with parents of my daughter's classmates who might speak limited English, and also try to start teaching my daughter some Spanish so she can start speaking it with her classmates. I'm still sticking with European Spanish which might come off as a bit strange since most Spanish speakers in our community are Dominican or Central American. I'm a bit nervous about other kids making fun of my daughter if she picks up my European accent, but I'm sure she'll pick up her peers' accent if she starts to use significant Spanish with them.

I started the first lesson of Assimil Spanish last night. Ideally I should be working on Hebrew but I haven't been able to pick up steam with it and I have more motivation to do the Spanish course. I will also plan on restarting Pimsleur Castilian Spanish as soon as I finish the Hebrew course. I'll start by reviewing Unit 2 which I have already completed, and then I'll go on to Units 3-5 which are new.

I've been studying some Chessable courses in Spanish as well. Most of the instructors are from Spain but I do have one course by a Cuban, El alfil kamikaze, about bishop sacrifices. I also want to work on my comprehension of Dominican Spanish so I should try to watch some news from the DR.

I'm also thinking of starting some iTalki lessons with a teacher from Spain. Not sure whether I would want to start that soon or wait until I've done more Assimil and Pimsleur.

Français

My family will be visiting Montréal in about a month. I've always struggled to understand Québécois French but I found some great Québécois resources on CaroleR's log Le français québécois: Lâche pas la patate! In particular, I've been listening to Radio Canada's news in French every morning that I commute into Boston on their French app RC OHdio and I think my comprehension of Québécois French is improving a lot. I have also watched a couple of videos of the great YouTube Channel « Ma prof de français ». I had initially planned to watch a video a day but unfortunately I haven't gotten around to that yet.

I also bought an ebook of Assimil Québécois. It's pretty dense so I haven't gone through it thoroughly, but I've skimmed through it and the section on pronunciation was particularly helpful.

Other Languages

After Spanish and Hebrew, I think my next highest priority language will be Portuguese because there are a lot of Portuguese speakers in my community. I would also love to study Mandarin because there are so many speakers in Boston but I think that's a bit further off.

Chess

I've switched from studying hypermodern openings to mainlines, 1.e4 with Ruy López and the Rossolimo and Open Sicilian and mainline French as white, 1...e5 with the Berlin and Giuoco Piano and Nimzo-Indian and Ragozin Queen's Gambit Declined as Black. I decided that if I learn hypermodern openings, maybe I will just beat people because they don't know the theory but then when I switch to mainline openings I'll get squashed, so I think it's better for my chess to learn mainline openings first even though there's more theory. But as a result, I'm still several months of hard work away from being able to use my new openings. There are a lot of lines to learn! Fortunately, a lot of the theory was already familiar to me because this repertoire involves some of the the first courses I started studying on Chessable. The lines that I already know are coming back to me quickly.
11 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:08 pm

Deinonysus wrote:I've switched from studying hypermodern openings to mainlines, 1.e4 with Ruy López and the Rossolimo and Open Sicilian and mainline French as white, 1...e5 with the Berlin and Giuoco Piano and Nimzo-Indian and Ragozin Queen's Gambit Declined as Black.
[...]
Fortunately, a lot of the theory was already familiar to me because this repertoire involves some of the the first courses I started studying on Chessable. The lines that I already know are coming back to me quickly.

Signed up!
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:27 pm

I've just caught up with your log! It is great! Late congratultions on your new job!

And I really hope, I'll get to profit from all the experience you share and finally start Hebrew in 2024. Even though I admit I am totally confused about your level and the resources you use. What CEFR would say is Hebrew from scratch? I think it has two or three parts, what does it roughly correspond to? Who knows, perhaps you'll get through the Assimil too this year. I am also very amused by your "800 times first unit of Pimsleur" path and the positive effect it has had on your intermediate class participation :-D Language learning is simply never linear :-)

But it is fascinating, how you combine Modern and Biblical Hebrew. I am looking forward to your progress. And enjoying your other languages and chess posts.
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
   Spanish, Hebrew
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:27 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:I've switched from studying hypermodern openings to mainlines, 1.e4 with Ruy López and the Rossolimo and Open Sicilian and mainline French as white, 1...e5 with the Berlin and Giuoco Piano and Nimzo-Indian and Ragozin Queen's Gambit Declined as Black.
[...]
Fortunately, a lot of the theory was already familiar to me because this repertoire involves some of the the first courses I started studying on Chessable. The lines that I already know are coming back to me quickly.

Signed up!

Good luck! Chessable's a great site. It reminds me of old school Duolingo before they ruined it. Be careful, though, it's easy to spend a ton of money on courses! I've had set myself a rule that I'm only allowed to buy a course if I'm ready to use it, no buying courses I might use someday when they're on sale!

Cavesa wrote:I've just caught up with your log! It is great! Late congratultions on your new job!

And I really hope, I'll get to profit from all the experience you share and finally start Hebrew in 2024. Even though I admit I am totally confused about your level and the resources you use. What CEFR would say is Hebrew from scratch? I think it has two or three parts, what does it roughly correspond to? Who knows, perhaps you'll get through the Assimil too this year. I am also very amused by your "800 times first unit of Pimsleur" path and the positive effect it has had on your intermediate class participation :-D Language learning is simply never linear :-)

But it is fascinating, how you combine Modern and Biblical Hebrew. I am looking forward to your progress. And enjoying your other languages and chess posts.

Thanks, and thanks for stopping by!

I only have the first part of Hebrew From Scratch and I don't know enough about the CEFR scale to say how far it goes. I'm about half-way through the first book and they're just finishing up coverage of the present tense. They've introduced past tense for a couple of simple irregular verbs. There's a good amount of vocabulary and they some lengthy stories. If I had to wager a guess I'd say the first book might cover A1-A2 and maybe the beginnings of B1?

It's pretty dated but a lot of the instruction is in Hebrew so knowing how much you like the CLE books, you might actually like it. I think there is some audio that goes along with it, although I don't have it myself.
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “Language logs”