SalzSäule's German + Romanian Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
SalzSäule
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: German (C2), Romanian (Beginner)
Paused: French (erstwhile B1), Luxembourgish (A2)
Intend to learn: Czech

Re: SalzSäule's German Log

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:09 am

:oops: :oops: I am getting too lazy.

Only did about 45 mins yesterday, but better than nothing.

Did some more Duolingo vocab, but this skill where it's trying to teach me every demonstrative pronoun in one go is really holding me back (as you can't proceed through the rest of the course without doing it). A cool thing is that the duome.eu site works out how far you are through a course. If I were to only get each skill to level 1 (but i don't do this) then I am 43% of the way through it.

Besides that, gave up on verb conjugation because nothing makes sense, and mostly spent time with some bitranslation reading.

I don't even have any Scriptorium sentences to give today, sorry! Today I've started listening to Assimil dialogues again, hopefully I don't get lazy.
3 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

10,000 Written Sentences (FSI, Assimil, Tatoeba only): 410/10,000

Le Baron
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Fr, NL, De, Eo, Sranantongo (rusty but works).
Studying: Es.

Postby Le Baron » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:38 pm

I was confused until I read further back into the log. You seem to be learning Romanian, but it isn't listed in your bio. And since this is a 'German log' I wondered why you would be doing Duolingo whilst having C2 level in German!

I now know what's going on. 8-)
3 x
Extensive reading - One book a month for 2022: 8 / 12
Duolingo Esperanto from French - for fun: 25 / 69
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery..

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:34 pm

Le Baron wrote:I was confused until I read further back into the log. You seem to be learning Romanian, but it isn't listed in your bio. And since this is a 'German log' I wondered why you would be doing Duolingo whilst having C2 level in German!

I now know what's going on. 8-)

Yeah I realised the other day how confusing this blog must be, but I don't believe it's possible to amend the title names of threads right?

Thanks, I forgot to add that to my bio. Will add now! :)
0 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

Nogon
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), Swedish (C), English (?), French (A2), Esperanto (A2). Reading Danish, Norwegian, Dutch, Afrikaans. Wanting to learn Polish, Yiddish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16039

Postby Nogon » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:26 pm

SalzSäule wrote:I don't believe it's possible to amend the title names of threads right?

It is possible. Go to the thread's first post, click "Edit post" and change the "subject". The old posts will still have the old name, but new posts and the thread itself will have the new title.
2 x
Assimil French : 65 / 113
Active wave : 15 / 113

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Postby SalzSäule » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:41 pm

Nogon wrote:
SalzSäule wrote:I don't believe it's possible to amend the title names of threads right?

It is possible. Go to the thread's first post, click "Edit post" and change the "subject". The old posts will still have the old name, but new posts and the thread itself will have the new title.

Ah incredible, thank you!
0 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt

Re: SalzSäule's German + Romanian Log

Postby SalzSäule » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am

Woosh, what a few days. Progress has really been all over the place, but I'm (potentially?) back on track now.

Romanian:

Done a bit of Assimil, and will do another dialogue after this post. I let the Anki flashcards get into a bit of a backlog so I've had to get on top of them again. Lately, to combat my strategy of laziness, I've decided to start learning shorter phrases so that I'm still acquiring new knowledge, but not overwhelming myself. Phrases like "it's worth it", for example.

I have been thoroughly enjoying the only two Romanian songs I know of and like (Let it Go in RO and Trenuletul). I've picked up some words from subtitling on Netflix, but not many - it's mainly there to test reading comprehension and give me a slightly better idea of sentence structure.

With Duolingo I blazed through the first level of the horrid demonstrative pronoun skill and will be ignoring it until the future when I decide that expressions like 'that other child' are conducive to learning. Now I've actually reached some useful skills on objects and, finally, Dative Pronouns -party emoji-. Upon this, I will have covered pronouns in all cases. The only major, common grammar point left is dative/gen case endings (although I am acquainted with most of them already).

I try to practice writing/speaking some sentences here and there with a Romanian friend, and I think soon I will contemplate getting a tutor (but I really want to have a very strong foundation before doing this or it will be too complicated). I'm still keeping up with the 6wchallenge but nowhere near where I wanted to be by now. But as they say, it's not over till the fat lady sings. Scriptorium:

* Spune-mi Alex, ta rog. Fără dumnevoastră. - Please call me Alex, no need to be formal.
* Stau (întins) în pat/Mă întind în pat. - I'm laying in bed.
* Fă-o - Do it.
* Fac baie - I'm having a bath.
* Îmi lipsești - I miss you.
* Grabește-te - Hurry up.
* Iar plouă! - It's raining again.
* Destul! Renunț! - Enough! I give up. (Renuntă - stop)
* Avansați - Proceed.
* Prostule - Idiot etc.
* Greșit - Wrong.
* Merită - It's worth it.
* Parola? - Password?
* următor - next
* Fata pe care o văd. - the girl whom I see. (thegirl-on-whom-her-see)
* Tu îi scrii ei o scrisoare lungă - You write her a long letter. (you-toher-write-toher-a-letter-long)
5 x

Return to “Language logs”