Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
LanguageLearner0007
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)
x 131

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:25 pm

Hectic schedule and travelling, managed to do some more Kwiziq, passed 10% in the A2 section.

Kwiziq all time activities: 242
Kwiziq A2 Achievement Score - 10.87%
3 x

LanguageLearner0007
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)
x 131

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:27 pm

Didn't do anything this week - no motivation and too many issues to deal with in everyday life. I guess I will pick up when I have more motivation.
4 x

LanguageLearner0007
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)
x 131

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:14 pm

After much procrastination, I returned to the official DELF book.

As a reminder, I completed the "reading" part in full, which is BY FAR the easiest part.

Now I have done the Activity 9 where I made one mistake.

In 1c, the correct response was Cantine / Classe / Élève / Cour.

My response was Cantine / Classe / Élève.

Somehow, I didn't pick up the word cour, which I guess in this case means "courtyard" = "la cour".
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)
x 131

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:37 pm

In the Activity 10, in the 2nd exercise, ALL of my responses were incorrect. After re-reading the texts 3 times, I am banging my head against the wall trying to understand if the responses in the book are correct or not. If yes, this is extremely subtle and tricky.

2a. The correct response was "Les grands sportifs". My response was "Les scandales sportifs".

2b. The correct response was "Les femmes dans le sport". My response was "Au sport de haut niveau".

This is a bit sus because the correct response is not even in the selection choice in the original exercise. It says "Aux femmes dans le sport".

3c. The correct response was "Les sportifs engagés". My response was "La publicité dans le sport".

Extrait 1 PISTE 14
Chers amis, bonjour. Heureuse de vous retrouver à
l’antenne ce samedi midi. Le sport, bon pour la santé,
bon pour les affaires, bon pour le commerce, est en ce
moment aussi le sujet de nombreux scandales financiers.
Pourtant, à côté d’une presse qui se nourrit de la
mauvaise image du sport, il existe des professionnels qui
vivent leur activité avec passion. Vous l’aurez compris,
nous allons parler aujourd’hui dans notre émission des
sportifs de haut niveau, et surtout de ces nouvelles
sportives qui gagnent et s’engagent pour le sport avec
un grand S !

Extrait 2 PISTE 15
Excusez-moi de vous déranger, je voudrais savoir si vous
avez une image positive du sport. Vous savez qu’en ce
moment on parle beaucoup des scandales et des affaires
judiciaires qui touchent le monde du sport. Mais on
voudrait connaître votre avis sur les « vrais » sportifs
et sportives qui vivent avec passion de leur sport. Alors,
vous êtes d’accord avec l’image des médias ou non ?
3 x

LanguageLearner0007
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)
x 131

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:28 am

Can someone please help with the above (Activity 10)? I've seen incorrect responses in the book before, so I don't know if I should trust these responses. Does this make sense to anyone?
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Posts: 4496
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 am
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian, Spanish, German (B2)
x 14990

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 23, 2022 12:53 pm

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:Can someone please help with the above (Activity 10)? I've seen incorrect responses in the book before, so I don't know if I should trust these responses. Does this make sense to anyone?


Could you post the original questions, please? Or a photo of the page with the exercise?
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)
x 131

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:15 pm

sure
Attachments
Activity 10 oral.JPG
Activity 10 oral.JPG (121.67 KiB) Viewed 328 times
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Posts: 4496
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 am
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian, Spanish, German (B2)
x 14990

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 23, 2022 5:05 pm

I can definitely see, why you've chosen the answers you've chosen. But on the "logic" of the correct ones:

1.While both pieces mention Les scandales sportifs, they both make it sure they don't want to talk about them, the journalists (or whoever that is) want to speak about Les grands sportifs and make those the highlight of the conversation.

2.The things hinting at the correct answer are "on veut s'interesser particulièrement" and the very clear exposition of the women in the first piece. "et surtout de ces nouvelles sportives...".

3.Here, they clearly expect you to base your answer on "Mais on voudrait connaître votre avis sur les « vrais » sportifs et sportives qui vivent avec passion de leur sport." But yes, I definitely see the logic of your answer, probably based on: "Alors, vous êtes d’accord avec l’image des médias ou non ?" which could be about the sportspeople, or about the whole stuff presented. The author expects you to really tie this sentence to the previous one, to really make it connected to what they mean to be the main point, which is the vrais sportifs.

Yep, this is a bit weird and a lot about testing you on your knowledge of the probable "desired logic" of the test maker. The third question is in my opinion a tricky one. The first two not that much, the key to the answer lies in the question.
3 x

LanguageLearner0007
Yellow Belt
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)
x 131

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:15 pm

Cavesa wrote:I can definitely see, why you've chosen the answers you've chosen. But on the "logic" of the correct ones:

1.While both pieces mention Les scandales sportifs, they both make it sure they don't want to talk about them, the journalists (or whoever that is) want to speak about Les grands sportifs and make those the highlight of the conversation.

2.The things hinting at the correct answer are "on veut s'interesser particulièrement" and the very clear exposition of the women in the first piece. "et surtout de ces nouvelles sportives...".

3.Here, they clearly expect you to base your answer on "Mais on voudrait connaître votre avis sur les « vrais » sportifs et sportives qui vivent avec passion de leur sport." But yes, I definitely see the logic of your answer, probably based on: "Alors, vous êtes d’accord avec l’image des médias ou non ?" which could be about the sportspeople, or about the whole stuff presented. The author expects you to really tie this sentence to the previous one, to really make it connected to what they mean to be the main point, which is the vrais sportifs.

Yep, this is a bit weird and a lot about testing you on your knowledge of the probable "desired logic" of the test maker. The third question is in my opinion a tricky one. The first two not that much, the key to the answer lies in the question.


Thank you, if this is the level of nuance expected for B1 listening, then I am doomed)

Before, picking up individual words or themes was enough to answer the questions correctly, this Activity 10 was uniquely difficult.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Posts: 4496
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:46 am
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian, Spanish, German (B2)
x 14990

Re: Learning French log (Road to DELF B1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue May 24, 2022 3:36 pm

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:Thank you, if this is the level of nuance expected for B1 listening, then I am doomed)

Before, picking up individual words or themes was enough to answer the questions correctly, this Activity 10 was uniquely difficult.


Nah, you are not doomed.
1.As you've said yourself, most exercises are much easier. There is therefore no reason, why too many of the ones in the real exam should be of this hard kind. Perhaps one will be like this. Simply get as many things correct as possible, don't beat yourself up over every single question and answer.

2.You are not supposed to have an extremely high score. I see this expectations especially in learners from some education traditions (for example americans seem to be used to exams, where getting a good score is rather easy, but the whole hell is the competition on the top and the perceived huge difference between very awesome and extremely awesome scores. These learners tend to look down on their own "just good" or "just passing" result without any objective reason). If you actually do too well, I'd say you'll just have waste money and time meant for B2 :-D :-D :-D Joking aside: you will be doing fine and be no fraud, if you have a total between 60-80. The exam is designed this way.

3.If it reassures you (and it cofirms the "you are not supposed to have a full score idea"): I would possibly mess up the third question too, and I am definitely C2 with very strong listening skills ;-) So, even my score wouldn't be perfect.
7 x


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests