Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Carmody
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: Rdearman 2016-21 [Presto e bene non marciano insieme]

Postby Carmody » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:16 pm

If you ever have time, I would love to learn the titles of your favorite Korean Romantic Comedies. My wife and I are hooked.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:52 am

Carmody wrote:If you ever have time, I would love to learn the titles of your favorite Korean Romantic Comedies. My wife and I are hooked.

My favourites are:
Familiar Wife
Welcome to Waikiki
Mr Queen
Crash landing on you (my wife's favourite)

Others I liked but not necessarily comedy
Dr Romantic
Startup
Haewang
My country
Kingdom
My coffee prince
2 x
: 16 / 22 22 French Paperbacks Read: 7736 pages

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

I often post on this forum using mobile devices, so please excuse short messages and typos.

Carmody
Brown Belt
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:51 pm

Thanks so much for the titles. We love "My coffee prince" and need to start watching the others.

Thanks.
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (approx. N5), Norwegian (A1), Nansha (constructing).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:11 pm

Carmody wrote:If you ever have time, I would love to learn the titles of your favorite Korean Romantic Comedies. My wife and I are hooked.

Boys Over Flowers is a rom-com classic as well.
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Carmody
Brown Belt
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:19 pm

Many thanks.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:17 pm

Yay!!!! I'm done! Julien Sorrel is dead. Well the last bit of the book was ok. Still seemed like a very drawn out short story. But anyway, all done now.

Next up!

A book about a tree. We'll see how that goes.
5 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

I often post on this forum using mobile devices, so please excuse short messages and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:17 pm

I won't bore the reader with any more tedious French commentary. Only to say because this current book is so small, I decided to intensively read it rather than extensively read it. So if I don't know the word 100%, even if I can figure it out from context, I'm going to look it up. I'll probably slow right down on the French reading, but I'll still continue to plod through it.

The real news is that I've managed to find a Korean language exchange partner who is willing to assist me in my attempts to get to A2 Korean before my trip. I did one session with her already, and it was brilliant. She is a school teacher who teaches children Korean! I've also booked a teacher from iTalki, a professional, not a community teacher. Tomorrow morning, we start with the Hangul alphabet. For a while now I have been waking up at 6 am and most days this gives me an hour or two to do as I please, on weekends this extends to three or four hours. I plan to book lessons, probably 2-3 per week in the mornings, as well as self-study and Pimsleur.

I was reading with interest Leosmiths use of Pimsleurin the early stages of learning, and I have managed to get some transcriptions of the first course. I'm hoping to be able to spend 1-2 hours on weekdays and 2-3 hours on weekends studying Korean. The language exchange thing is only once a week and I didn't think that was enough, so lessons will motivate me. I have been working from home a couple of days a week, so I've had the Pimsleur lesson gonig on in the background all day long. Occasionally I'll sit up and listen to it for a little while and focus on it before I switch back to work. I think it helps to have it playing on repeat in the background.

My LE partner took a copy of my "language islands" that I want to construct for Korean, and she is going to translate them into Korean for me to practice and memorize. So, if I can manage to stick to plan, then I hope to have some rudimentary knowledge of Korean in the next 6 months or so.
12 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:23 am

I have only managed about 10 pages of my French novel. I read a page or 2 intensively, then look up the words in a paperback dictionary. It is a time-consuming process, but I limit myself to only 2 pages a day since I'm trying to concentrate more on Korean.

I have slapped a load more money on iTalki credits and booked a couple of classes with a professional Korean teacher. I had my first lesson on Thursday, and it was great. It was going through the Korean alphabet. Which I sort of knew, but it was really worth going through it and practising the pronunciation and getting corrections. It is a lot more expensive than the community tutors I've had before, but I have to say I can see a major difference in the quality of teaching. Also, he was very prepared with a lot of expensive equipment like electronic whiteboards, widescreen camera, so he would walk around and present as well as a mobile microphone. He had me taking notes, and it was really hard work. I felt like my brain was sweating. He was actually willing to carry on over the allotted hour, but I had to bail, it was very intensive. I went ahead and purchased 6 more lessons with him and I'm hoping he will continue to push me like he did in the first lesson.

I have a language exchange scheduled tomorrow in Korean. This is with the lady I mentioned before who teaches Korean school children. She has translated my simple islands, and we're going to practice pronunciation and I'll try to memorise them.

Speaking of memorization, I found a small dictionary online for Korean, only 18 pages, so I thought I would use it as a little exercise in using my memory palaces. We'll see how that goes. I have less than 6 months, and I don't expect that I'll be anywhere near having a conversation, but it would be nice to get to A1 sort of level.
9 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:10 am

I did mention the other day I was going to start a "FAQ" series on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEy77 ... 0iG6Zt6H5g

Here is the first one:

6 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
The Lollygagging Podcast

jammon39
Yellow Belt
Bangla (Advanced)
Spanish
Koine Greek

Postby jammon39 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:40 am

rdearman wrote:I did mention the other day I was going to start a "FAQ" series on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEy77 ... 0iG6Zt6H5g

Here is the first one:

Subscribed!
2 x
Read 35 Bangla Novels: 15 / 35 3229 pages
25 Bangla Dictation Exercises: 0 / 25
25 Bangla Composition Exercises: 7 / 25
200 Hours of Spanish TV: 30 / 200
500 Hours of Koine Greek: 72 / 500

Return to “Language logs”