Deutsch and magyar

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Chung
Green Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: German, Hungarian, Italian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Czech, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Polish, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish, Ukrainian
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: Deutsch and magyar

Postby Chung » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:23 pm

To add a few more resources that you might like...

I posted elsewhere about a YouTube channel that's full of short movies with English subtitles. Of interest is one of the Hungarian videos (which actually won the Oscar in 2017 for best live action short), Sing (original Mindenki "Everyone"). It's entertaining enough but of special interest for a learner is that it also comes with subtitles in Hungarian. I've already watched the video a few times with and without the Hungarian subtitles to train my ear but also to read the actors' speech. It also helps that by turning on the Hungarian subtitles, the English subtitles often get masked. I find learning Hungarian this way to be quite enjoyable not least because of the movie itself but also because I can see how I could use less familiar vocabulary and structures in a given situation.

One small example involves the use of felőlem which is a calque of the German von mir aus. The choir leader uses it here after one of the kids confronts her about how she's instructed some of the others to lip-sync during rehearsals and performances when she feels that their poorer ability would detract from the overall sound. Seeing language "in action" like this sticks a lot better with me than trying to learn it while reading a regular text or using it as part of some exercise done on my own. In other words, the combination of hearing, reading and seeing it works well for me. In addition, the movie's dialogue is uncomplicated since it mainly involves kids in fairly familiar settings so there's little in the way of very low-frequency vocabulary and rarely-encountered structures.

If you're interested and want an alternative to that other channel of fairy tales that I listed, then check out some of the installments from the series "Magyar népmesék" which have been uploaded here with optional English subtitles.

If documentaries are more your thing, then there's Hogyan működik? which is a Hungarian version of In a Nutshell / Dinge Erklärt. All of the videos in "Hogyan működik?" have optional Hungarian subtitles in case you don't catch what the narrator says.

Lastly, I've also started watching videos in the channel "Hungarize" which is run by a couple of Hungarian teachers. I especially like the series "2 perc magyar" which focuses on teaching vocabulary or new structures typical for a situation or topic. An example is this video about ways to express doubt beyond using nem tudom. I hope that they'll create more videos. They speak only in Hungarian but you can turn on subtitles in English or Hungarian as needed or desired. I find that their videos are an improvement from the nominally intermediate or advanced playlists on HungarianPod101.
2 x

Dagane
Orange Belt
Languages: I regularly use:
Spanish (N)
English (C2)
German (C1)
Hungarian (A0)

I formerly studied:
Galician (B2?)
Dutch (A1)
Czech (A0)
Portuguese (A2?)
French (A1?)

Re: Deutsch and magyar

Postby Dagane » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:31 pm

Chung wrote:Lastly, I've also started watching videos in the channel "Hungarize" which is run by a couple of Hungarian teachers. I especially like the series "2 perc magyar" which focuses on teaching vocabulary or new structures typical for a situation or topic. An example is this video about ways to express doubt beyond using nem tudom. I hope that they'll create more videos. They speak only in Hungarian but you can turn on subtitles in English or Hungarian as needed or desired. I find that their videos are an improvement from the nominally intermediate or advanced playlists on HungarianPod101.[/color]

en

Thank you for your invaluable help!

I have started to explore some of these resources for listening. The fairy tales are good, I grasp the gist of the each story but they also frustrate me a little when I don't understand something important.

I am loving the "2 perc magyar" series. I think they are perfect. They have subtitles, they teach me a little bit of vocabulary and they are so short I can play them even when I'm busy, as many times as I need to make sure I understand everything. I listen to the video a first time to pick new words, a second time reading the subtitles and then as many times as I need to understand the teacher just by listening. I will keep doing this and I hope it improves my listening comprehension before the end of thia month if I manage to do it everyday. Then I could try the same with the films with subtitles :D.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”