Japanese listening from nothing: 2020 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Japanese listening from nothing: 2020 Log

Postby golyplot » Sun May 31, 2020 1:09 am

Not much to report lately. I haven't done much in the way of Japanese study lately. If anything, I've been kind of discouraged about the whole thing again. On the other hand, I did much better on my Wanikani reviews over the last two days than I usually do. And yesterday, I tried reading an NHK News Easy article for the first time in months. I was pleased to realize that I knew almost every word and kanji in the article, although I still wasn't able to actually understand it. :(

Edit: This morning, I did very badly on my WK reviews. I guess my streak couldn't last forever.
2 x

golyplot
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese

Postby golyplot » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:50 am

Overall, my Japanese learning continues pretty much on autopilot, just doing WK and listening to NHC in the background and sometimes watching an anime episode each night. I haven't done any reading practice or anything else beyond the basic routine lately.

I finished my fifth and final playthrough of Nihongo con Teppei (for beginners) and started listening to the intermediate level Nihongo con Teppei podcast instead. I'm annoyed by how he spends a minute singing (badly) at the beginning of every episode in the intermediate podcast. On the bright side, the episodes are much longer than the beginner episodes, so it's a lower fraction of the time overall.

On my continuing rewatch of SAO Alternative: GGO without subtitles, I reached episode 6 tonight. I noticed that one of the Rhythmic Gymnastics Club members referred to herself as "boku", which I suspect is one of those anime-isms people like to talk so much about. I also discovered by accident that some of the episodes have post-credit scenes, so I'll have to watch out for those.

Also, another Kanji frequency chart now that I've unlocked the second half of level 23. This'll probably be the last for a while, since reaching level 23 means I've filled out all the high frequency kanji. I've now learned 267 of the top 268 kanji and 304 of the top 307 kanji. It's kind of crazy to think about.

3 x

eido
Brown Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (C1), others

Postby eido » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 pm

golyplot wrote:Not much to report lately. I haven't done much in the way of Japanese study lately. If anything, I've been kind of discouraged about the whole thing again. On the other hand, I did much better on my Wanikani reviews over the last two days than I usually do. And yesterday, I tried reading an NHK News Easy article for the first time in months. I was pleased to realize that I knew almost every word and kanji in the article, although I still wasn't able to actually understand it. :(

Wow! Look at you! You're doing great :D We all have days where we feel down and things don't work out the way we planned. But that's okay, because there's always another day. And if there isn't, you just have to know that you're always trying your best. Your brain is giving you the best it can do.

However, sometimes you have to pound it with yourself. Just take your two fists and bump 'em together and say, "I got this!" You can't give up. Never quit.

Japanese is beautiful. The language would be so worth it to learn; that's why you can never give up.

I can see how much you want to speak it.

That's why you can't let go just yet. Give it just a little while longer and see where you go.

I believe in you, @golyplot!

(By the way, great username. Very clever.)
3 x

golyplot
Blue Belt

Postby golyplot » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:54 am

eido wrote:We all have days where we feel down and things don't work out the way we planned. But that's okay, because there's always another day.

In fact, I've actually been feeling more positive about Japanese since that post. It's funny how it ebbs and flows.

eido wrote:(By the way, great username. Very clever.)

Thanks!

Fun fact: That wasn't my original username. When I first signed up, I set my username as "⠀⠀⠀", just to see if it would let me. But the mods decided that having a blank username would make things confusing and made me change it, so I had to come up with a new username on the spot.
1 x

golyplot
Blue Belt

Postby golyplot » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:20 am

Tonight, Netflix was advertising the newly added Cardcaptor Sakura, so out of curiosity, I decided to watch the first episode, in addition to watching episode 7 of SAO Alternative. It was my first time watching something in Japanese that I had never seen before, not counting Peppa Pig, and I figured I'd be completely lost, unlike with SAOA:GGO where I can just sit back and try to pick out bits and pieces of the dialog since I already know what's going on. I'd also heard that Cardcaptor Sakura is actually a romance show with a side of action, contrary to Kids WB!'s old editing hackjob attempt to portray it as a gender balanced action series. Also, it's of course an older show, so the animation obviously wouldn't be as good as a modern series. I didn't expect to like it, but I figured I'd watch the first episode just to see what it was like. Surprisingly, it was better than I expected. I also understood more than I expected, although that's admittedly still not much.
1 x

crush
Green Belt
Languages: :
Speak:
--English (N), Spanish, Mandarin
Study:
--Basque, Cantonese, Japanese

Postby crush » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:18 am

I go back and forth in that with Japanese, too. Way more than any of my other languages. I think part of it is there are just so many pieces to Japanese, not just vocab and grammar like in European languages. Some days i feel like i'm "almost there" and others it's a chore just to finish my reviews.

I haven't seen Cardcaptor Sakura, but i might put it on my to-watch list after i'm done watching my current series (though after watching Hunter X Hunter, long series kinda scare me, heh).
1 x

golyplot
Blue Belt

Postby golyplot » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:28 pm

crush wrote:(though after watching Hunter X Hunter, long series kinda scare me, heh).

Well, the episodes are only ~23 minutes each. I'm actually a bit frustrated that Terrace House episodes are much longer, since it's harder to fit them in.
0 x

golyplot
Blue Belt

Postby golyplot » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:01 am

This morning, I read an article on NHK News Easy. I still haven't found a reading practice site that I really like, but I've given up on Watanoc for now. I also watched episode 2 of Cardcaptor Sakura this morning.
0 x

kelvin921019
Orange Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
English (C2)
Chinese (Written: Native; Mandarin: Fluent)
Spanish (Beginner)
Japanese (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14194

Postby kelvin921019 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:10 am

golyplot wrote:This morning, I read an article on NHK News Easy. I still haven't found a reading practice site that I really like, but I've given up on Watanoc for now. I also watched episode 2 of Cardcaptor Sakura this morning.

If you are looking for listening-reading practice, you can try Satori Reader. It has some free content and all sorts of reading materials from short stories to sample dialogues.
0 x

crush
Green Belt
Languages: :
Speak:
--English (N), Spanish, Mandarin
Study:
--Basque, Cantonese, Japanese

Postby crush » Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:15 pm

golyplot wrote:This morning, I read an article on NHK News Easy. I still haven't found a reading practice site that I really like, but I've given up on Watanoc for now.

I've found the news super boring and draining to read. I just started reading Harry Potter in Japanese. I converted it to an HTML file and use Yomichan's pop-up dictionary to quickly look things up. I'm familiar with the story so even if i can't understand everything, i can still enjoy going through it. Perhaps you could try something similar, reading a translation of a book you've read (perhaps one you've read more than once) and enjoyed in Japanese.

Manga is another option, but it was harder to read and look up unknown words plus it didn't really pull me in the same way as a book does. Not to mention the fact that the vertical text made it so much harder for me to distinguish between つ and っ/シ and ツ. So that's probably something i'll come back to when i don't have to rely on a dictionary so much and i can figure out from context whether it's つ or っ ;)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”