Chung at work / Chung pri práci / Chung työn touhussa

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Re: Chung at work / Chung pri práci / Chung työn touhussa

Postby Chung » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:25 am

...and here is the continuation of my scribblings on ways to translate "to like" as mentioned here.

===

GERMAN

The example sentences are from Farrell's Dictionary of German Synonyms, Duden Online, Digitales Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache, and Your Daily German - mögen, gern, gefallen - What is the difference.

ia) gern(e) "gladly, willingly; often, usually"

- Ich esse Austern gern. "I like to eat oysters." ~ "I enjoy oysters."
- Ich schwimme nicht gern. "I don't like to swim / I don't like swimming."

To signal enjoyment of an activity or not, include the adverb gern(e) in the phrase with a conjugated verb. A closer translation to English is "I [do something] gladly".

There's also ungern which signals reluctance or a lack of enthusiasm for an activity but is a less intense negation than nicht gern.

- Niemand redet so ungern über Geld wie die Deutschen "Nobody dislikes talking about money as much as the Germans."
- Kannst du mir einen Gefallen tun und 2 Stunden auf meinen Hund aufpassen? - Hmmm... ungern, ich habe echt viel Arbeit. "Can you do a favour for me and watch my dog for two hours? - Hmmm... I'd rather not... I actually have a lot of work."

Apart from being used to signal one's (dis)liking of an activity, gern(e) shows up in other contexts including some idiomatic constructions.

- Danke schön! - Gern geschehen! "Thank you very much! - Not a problem!" ([It] happened gladly!)
- Kommst du mit? - Ja, gern! "Are you coming along? - Yes, gladly!"
- Das glaube ich dir gern. "I'll bet!" / "I don't disagree with you." (I gladly believe you - colloquial)
- Du kannst gern mitkommen. "You're very welcome to come along." [hinting also at the speaker's approval of the other person's performing the action]
- Diese Pflanze wächst gern auf trockenem Boden. "This plant often grows in dry soil."

ib) gern haben

- Ich habe ihn gern. "I like him."
- Ich habe dieses Bild sehr gern. "I like this picture very much."

To signal liking of a person or thing, a common way is to use the combination of gern haben literally translated as "to have willingly" with the object of affection marked in accusative. In this sense, it's equivalent to mögen (q.v.).

- Ich hätte gern ein Kilo Trauben. "I'd like a kilo of grapes."

When conjugated in Konjunktiv II (~ subjunctive), the combination takes on the meaning "I would like..." and is frequently used when shopping at a bakery, butcher's shop or farmers' market, or ordering at a restaurant.

ii) gefallen "to please"

- Wie hat Ihnen das Konzert gefallen? "How did you like/enjoy the concert?"
- Die Frau da gefällt mir. "I like the woman over there." [because she's physically attractive; don't know her in person]

To signal that one finds an external characteristic of something or someone pleasing, one uses gefallen, and this also applies to aural and/or visual experiences such as concerts or movies. Note how this resembles Polish podobać się and Slovak páčiť sa which are structurally similar.

If one's affection or admiration is tied to its taste, smell or feel, or belies a deeper connection, then using mögen, gern haben or schmecken, depending on the situation, is more appropriate.

iii) mögen "to like; may, might"

- Ich mochte ihn sehr. "I liked him very much."
- Mein Töchterchen mag Kuchen. "My little daughter likes cakes."
- Ich mag, wie sie redet. "I like how she talks."
- Ich mag es nicht, dass du mich immer unterbrichst. "I don't like it that you always interrupt me."
- Ich mag es, den ganzen Tag zu schlafen. "I like to sleep all day."
- Ich mag Schwimmen. "I like swimming."

This gives the sense of (dis)liking an object, person, experience or activity because of a deeper, longstanding or personal acquaintance.

- Ich möchte ein Kilo Trauben. "I'd like a kilo of grapes."
- Sie möchte Herrn Meier sprechen. "She would like to speak to Mr. Meier."
- Ich möchte gern kommen. "I'd like to come."

As with gern haben, conjugating mögen in Konjunktiv II (~ subjunctive) is translated as "I would like..." but can be complemented by a noun or an action, and made less abrupt and somewhat more colloquial by adding gern.

- Was mag er wohl denken? "What could he be thinking?"
- Es mochten dreißig Leute sein. "There might have been thirty people."
- Kommt sie? - [Das] mag sein. "Is she coming? - Maybe."
- Was mag das bedeuten? "What might this mean?"

Using mögen "may, might" is also possible, but it doesn't turn up frequently with alternative constructions of very similar (if not identical) meaning often being used instead.

- Es waren schätzungsweise dreißig Leute. "There were approximately thirty people." for Es mochten dreißig Leute sein. "There might have been thirty people."
- Kommt sie? - Vielleicht. for Kommt sie? - [Das] mag sein. "Is she coming? - Maybe."
- Was kann das bedeuten? "What can that mean?" for Was mag das bedeuten? "What might that mean?"

iv) schmecken "to taste" etc.

- Schmeckt es? "Does it taste [good]?" ~ "Do you like it?" [i.e. the food/dish/drink]
- Das Essen hat [mir] geschmeckt. "The food [for me] tasted good." ~ "I enjoyed the food/meal."

This is an idiomatic usage and applies only to food or drink. It also stands in contrast to mögen and essen / trinken gern which signify longstanding (dis)liking of a dish or preparation rather than (dis)liking the same as served at a specific time/meal.

---

ITALIAN

The example sentences are from the online Collins Italian-English dictionary, The Smiling Eggplant, and WordReference: ti voglio bene vs. ti amo

i) piacere (a)
- Mi piace di più così. "I like it better this way."
- Mi piace molto questo quadro. "I like this picture very much."
- Quei ragazzzi non mi piacciono. "I don't like those boys."
- Che cosa ti piacerebbe fare? "What would you like to do?"

This is a very common way to express one's (dis)like of something (including an activity) or someone regardless of whether the feeling comes from a first impression or prolonged exposure. Italian doesn't use a transitive verb like "to like" which requires a direct object, but relies on a construction with a verb translateable as "to please" and the source of (dis)pleasure acting as a subject in 3rd person. For example, a closer translation of Mi piace di più così "I like it better this way." is "This way pleases me more." One can indicate the degree of (dis)like by adding molto "very (much)".

Other ways to express how much one (dis)likes something or someone include using tenerci (a) "to care about sb" or saying how something is a positive or negative quality (e.g. Questo pasto è buonissimo! "This meal is very good!" (i.e. I like it a lot!)), but these are less direct ways to translate "to please" let alone "to like". Note how this is used in more situations than German gefallen, Polish podobać się and Slovak páčiť sa which are structurally similar.

ii) volere bene (a)
- Ti voglio bene. "I like you (a lot) / I'm fond of you / I love you."

This structure is probably more familiar to speakers of several other languages including English because it uses a transitive verb (here volere "to want") with an object of (dis)like. However, the usage is such that it's used only for people, and has the nuance that a person is quite of fond of someone else or loves someone in a non-romantic way (e.g. as children do with their parents).

---

POLISH

The example sentences and commentary are from lubić, podobać się etc. What's the difference and what else is out there? and the Internet.

i) lubić "to like"
- Lubię cię. "I like you / I'm fond of you." (e.g. because you've proven to be a good person to me)
- Lubię piec. "I like to bake." (e.g. because I find it fulfilling)
- Lubię te ciastka. "I like these cookies." (e.g. because they taste or smell good)

When referring to people, it signifies platonic affection. It's also used to describe one's (dis)like of an activity or thing. In all instances, it suggests that the feeling is based on long-standing experience rather than an impression or something similarly fleeting.

ii) podobać się
- Podobasz mi się. "I like you." (e.g. because of what you're wearing (or not ;-)))
- Podobają mi się te ciastka. "I like these cookies." (e.g. because the frosting is in a nice design)

This verb suggests that the (dis)like is based on appearance, or a brief impression rather than long-standing experience. When referring to people, it signals that the attraction is based on a physical characteristic but that may also hint at a certain amount of sexual attraction. Note the similarity with German gefallen and Slovak páčiť sa.

iii) smakować "to taste (good); sample"
- To mi smakuje. "I like it (i.e. the food/drink)"
- Czy smakują ci jeżyny? "Do you like berries?"

This verb is ultimately a borrowing from Old or Middle German (cf. English "to smack" (as in 'That smacks of treason!'), German schmecken "to taste") and works very similarly to its German counterpart. It's used only to express (dis)like of food and drink, but can express that (dis)like at a particular time (e.g. to mi smakuje "I like it." (i.e. the food or drink that you just served to me)) or as something general (e.g. Czy smakują ci jeżyny? "Do you like berries?" (in general) ~ "Do berries taste (good) for you?"). In the second sense, it's a variant of lubić and the question could have been rendered instead as Czy lubisz jeżyny? "Do you like berries?".

A less obvious but figurative way to express one's (dis)like of a meal or drink is to use odpowiadać "to answer; be suitable" as in Śniadanie mi odpowiadało. "Breakfast was suitable for me" ~ "I enjoyed/liked breakfast."

SLOVAK

The example sentences and commentary are from páčiť sa, rád, etc. What's the difference?, Slovenské slovníky and the Internet.

i) páčiť sa
- Páčil sa ti ten film? "Did you like that movie?"
- Páči sa ti čo máme? "Do you like what we have?"
- Páči sa vám muž: Ako zistíte, či aj vy jemu? "You like a man: How do you find out if he likes you back?"

Like German gefallen and Polish podobać się which it resembles structurally, the Slovak verb translates best as "to please" and suggests (dis)like based on a first impression (especially a visual one). The headline in the link translates more accurately as "A man pleases you: How do you find out if also you to him?" rather than the looser but more idiomatic "You like a man: How do you find out if he likes you back?"

There're also the idiomatic expressions nech sa páči and páči sa both meaning "let (it) please (you)" and used in situations where one would use the courtesies "here you go", "after you", "next (customer in line)!" or even "may I help you?" in English.

ii) mať rád etc.
- Máš rád ten film? "Do you [masculine] like that movie?"
- Mám ťa rada, Pavlínka "I [feminine] love you, Pavlínka."

This differs structurally from the German counterpart in gern haben only in how Slovak rád requires marking for gender and number on the part of the subject. Otherwise, German and Slovak combinations overlap greatly when it comes to meanings/nuances. In Slovak, the combination suggests (dis)like based on prolonged exposure rather than a first impression or something superficial. When used in reference to a person, it's best translateable as signalling platonic love or fondness and differs from milovať which often carries romantic and/or sexual overtones.

iii) rád etc.
- Rád cestujem. "I [masculine] like to travel."
- Nerád cestujem, ale stále som zbalený. "I [masculine] don't like to travel, but I'm still packed."

This resembles the use in German of gern with a conjugated verb, and signals (dis)like of an activity. The Slovak adverb is inflected for gender or number as appropriate, however, as it is with mať rád etc. (q.v.).

iva) chutiť "to taste (good); like, enjoy"
- Obed jej veľmi chutil. "She liked (the) lunch very much."
- Robota mu chutí. "He likes/enjoys the work/job."
- Nechutí mu fajčiť. "He doesn't like to smoke [because of the taste]."

Like German schmecken, Italian piacere a and Polish smakować, Slovak chutiť is an impersonal verb and puts the source of a (dis)like as the subject in the 3rd person while the person who (dis)likes is in dative. Although it usually deals with (dis)like based on taste, the Slovak verb can be used as a variant of páčiť sa (q.v.) when the source of dislike is an abstract noun thus singalling one's (dis)pleasure of something that doesn't involve taste. Furthermore, it can denote (dis)like of something at a particular instant as in a meal or something in general.

There is also the idiomatic use meaning something akin to "to have little appetite" as in Dnes mi nechutí. "I don't feel like eating today." (more closely: "Today it doesn't taste (good) to me.")

ivb) šmakovať "to taste (good); like, enjoy"
- Obed mu šmakoval. "He liked (the) lunch."

This is a colloquial variant of chutiť and bears an obvious similarity to German schmecken and Polish smakować. It covers expressing (dis)like of food or drink only (i.e it doesn't act as a variant of páčiť sa as chutiť may).

===

Errors and misinterpretations are mine.
4 x

Chung
Blue Belt
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:17 pm

AZERI

I finished working on Unit 6 of Azeri Familiarization Course which deals with location and directions. I finally finished Chapter 7 in Elementary Azerbaijani which also deals with location and directions, in addition to postpositions, and the past and present tenses in negated questions. This was a rough patch overall as I was having trouble retaining enough of the content to my satisfaction. I reread subsections a fair bit and in the assigned audio drills I wrote out my answers for them before doing them as designed by playing the .mp3 files and responding orally on cue only.

---

FINNISH

I've picked up Finnish again after taking February off and have just started Suomen Mestari 3 which is meant for those at CEFR A2.2. Things look more promising compared to when starting Suomen Mestari 2 as not only does every chapter describe a feature or two of colloquial Finnish, but all of its dialogues are recorded in colloquial Finnish with only its texts for comprehension in standard Finnish. To boot, these texts for comprehension deal with aspects of Finnish culture and life in Finland; Suomen Mestari 2 has no such texts.

The themes in chapter 1 are the environment and recycling while for grammar I'm to (re)acquaint myself with the conditional and derivatives with the suffixes -llinen and -ton/-tön.

(Source: 19.1.2019 via Musta hevonen -sarjakuva)

1) This is boring!
2) I want to paint nude models!

---

GERMAN

I've finished Chapter 5 of Menschen in Beruf - Bewerbungstraining (A2+/B1) which dealt with cover letters, and the subsection of adjectival endings in Chapter 4 of Geschäftliche Begegnungen B1+. Unfortunately those are about the only items of substance that I've managed to do with German in the last month to go with reading a few more pages of JG 301's war diary and a handful of tales of Nasreddin Hoca. I'm a little disappointed.

(Source: Die Frühreifen)

1) "Oh yeah... The spring..."
2) "The time of year which lets us do totally crazy things."

---

ITALIAN

I read the 13th story in Easy Italian Reader, and did the accompanying exercises in McGraw-Hill's Language Lab.

I finished Chapters 6 and 7 in Nuovo Progetto Italiano 1, and am little over halfway through in Chapter 8. Same old, same old with grammar (e.g. imperfect, trapassato prossimo, passato prossimo, direct object pronouns, ne and ci) but I did learn a bit about Italian cuisine and film, and am due to read a text about grocery shopping in Chapter 8.

---

MISCELLANEOUS

Like any self-respecting language nerd, I gave into deals (mispricing?) on Amazon and added a couple more resources to my collection.

Hueber Italienisch Komplettkurs zum Hören

For just about $20 including shipping this hasn't been a bad option for me while commuting. It's an audio-heavy course consisting of a booklet with 20 chapters each with transcripts of two or three short dialogues, or one long one, and bare-bone notes on relevant grammar. The main attraction is that it has 9 CDs of audio (roughly 11 hours' worth) although a fair bit of it is of a German narrator giving instructions or short cheesy tunes for intros and outros. This course has been tougher to use because I've been processing explanations and instructions in German but the benefit of listening to a different source of Italian audio and doing speaking/listening drills ultimately makes it worthwhile while going to work.

Idiomatik Deutsch-Italienisch

This is a thick dictionary of idioms from German to Italian. It normally costs at least €50 on Amazon.de whenever it turns up (about $55 before shipping and with shipping would mean a bit less than $70 total), but a few weeks ago I got wind of it going instead for about £16 through Amazon.co.uk and even with shipping bringing the total to about £24 (about $30 at the time), I couldn't refuse it.

I already got a couple of dictionaries of German idioms for peanuts on the used market in Barron's German Idioms and Duden - 11 Redewendungen, but the reduced price removed my last restraint in springing for the dictionary from Buske. It's a great dictionary as not only does it have more extensive coverage compared to the other idiom-dictionaries with its 35,000 entries, but it also gives an example sentence or two for each entry as well as hints about register or frequency, and when appropriate even links the German idiom with an Italian one instead of merely translating it in Italian. This make sense since an Italian user of this dictionary likely knows the Italian idiom in the first place, and doesn't always need the German idiom to be explained or described. For me, this is a nice way to add to what I get in my copy of Barron's Italian Idioms which has roughly 2,000 idioms. As my German is a work in progress, I definitely like looking things up in this big German-Italian dictionary to improve my grasp of German idioms to say nothing about learning some Italian idioms as a side benefit.

For example, I see that the German ein faules Aas (sein) "(to be) a lazy ass" can sometimes be translated idiomatically in Italian with essere una marmotta "to be a marmot". This is helpfully described here in the dictionary of expressions at corrirere.it as:

“Dizionario dei Modi di Dire” — marmotta: modi di dire — essere una marmotta wrote:
Essere tonti, tardi, ottusi oppure mentalmente pigri. Anche essere indolenti, abulici, indifferenti a tutto, difficili da scuotere e da far reagire. In particolare, essere dormiglioni.

(To be stupid, tardy, obtuse or mentally lazy. Also: to be indolent, apathetic, indifferent to everything, difficult to rouse and cause a reaction. In particular: to be sleepy.)

Anyway here's a sample of the second last page...

...and you can see a few more sample pages through the publisher's website.

For someone learning Italian and who wants to do some "laddering" with German, these two items could be worth getting especially if found on sale.
4 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm

I obviously haven't stopped studying/learning languages but I've been letting the log slide as I've been keener to spend time learning than updating or summarizing my progress. I won't be updating the log as frequently or with the customary images of comic strips.

In brief, I've stopped studying Azeri and shelved Finnish. For the former I've finished Allazov's "Azerbaijani for Beginners", and done the first 7 chapters (of 12) in Öztopçu's "Elementary Azerbaijani" and the first 9 units (of 20) of "Azeri 200-Hour Familiarization Course" by JBLM/DLI. It was definitely a good experience as I satisfied some curiosity about the language and got a better handle on some things that I had encountered on my first go-around with the language during the Turkic Challenge. For the latter, I shelved it not too long after starting Suomen Mestari 3 after plans to revisit Finland fell through and the lack of opportunity to use the language live didn't help either. I just hope that my knowledge won't fade too much for however long I'm inactive.

With my other languages, I've incorporated a lot more reading at the expense of working through textbooks.

For Italian, I've still got Easy Italian Reader but have added some paperbacks of dual-language collections of short stories published by dtv. Needless to say these are meant for the German market and I've been reading the German translations first and then reading the Italian originals. So far it's going well while reading Prime Letture - Erste italienische Lesestücke which is meant for beginners in Italian and I've ordered a few of the more advanced volumes with Italian texts. The books themselves are rather short at about 150 pages and often quite cheap (about $10 apiece including shipping charges via Amazon Marketplace - just type "dtv" with "zweisprachig" or "deutsch" as search keywords), and anyone with a reading knowledge of German should keep dtv's dual-language books in mind as a learning tool. I've almost finished Nuovo Progetto Italiano 1 (A1-A2) and am leaning toward continuing with Progetto Italiano Junior 3 (B1) instead of Nuovo Progetto Italiano 2 (B1-B2) since I can do the video exercises in Progetto Italiano Junior 3 (B1) as the relevant videos are available for free on YouTube.

For German, I'm still working with Geschäftliche Begegnungen B1+, Menschen im Beruf Bewerbungstraining (A2+/B1) and Versprechen Sie Deutsch? although much more slowly. In addition to reading the German translations in dtv's Italian dual-language books, I'm still dipping every now and then into a collection of tales of Nasreddin Hoca in German translation. I'm also thinking about how to expand things a little with ideas including Der kleine Nick (German translation of "Le petit Nicolas") or even Die Chroniken der Narnia (German translation of "The Chronicles of Narnia") seeing that I can focus on reacquainting myself with the plots after having read these books in their original as a schoolboy. "The Lord of the Rings" in Italian or German is too ambitious at this point even though I really enjoyed reading the original as a teenager. For now, as long as I'm plowing through a dual-language reader published by dtv, I'll have something in German to read.

Lastly, I've decided to get Slovak back into the rotation by resuming work with Hovorme spolu po slovensky 'B' Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk (I left it after finishing the first 3 chapters) and reading simple texts. In keeping with the theme of simple reading, I've collected some e-books by Václav Šuplata on his website. I've just finished reading Maco Paco which is a short book for youngsters about a bear going on adventures. In addition to being endearing with its cute drawings and cheery storyline, I found it valuable despite the brevity as it had some vocabulary that I didn't know or had never really figured out, thus compelling me to consult the monolingual dictionaries of Slovak. I look forward to improving my passive vocabulary by reading more of Šuplata's texts, several of which are meant for children or teenagers. It's a shame that short texts of reasonably accessible Slovak for learners aren't plentiful. The texts on Zlatý fond are meant for adults but its texts run from the 17th to 20th centuries so some of the texts are quite old in addition to adhering mainly to the literary register. What's more is that it's hard for me to find suitably short texts in Zlatý fond without clicking on every available link to find out if I'm looking at a full-blown book online or a short story (Prvý bozk "First Kiss" by Nádaši-Jégé is a reasonably short text from the 1920s).
6 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:32 am

GERMAN

I've yet to start Chapter 6 of Menschen in Beruf - Bewerbungstraining (A2+/B1) which deals with job interviews and finish off Chapter 4 of Geschäftliche Begegnungen B1+ with its subsection of adjectival endings. I've just read a few more pages of JG 301's war diary and the German translations of the dual-language reader of Italian cultural tidbits (q.v.).

(Source: Die Dramatik der Dinge)
1) "It's high time that sexism in our society be talked about."
2) "I mean everyone stares all the time at my chest!" (literal: "For me stares just everyone constantly at the bosom!")

---

ITALIAN

After approaching its midpoint, I set aside Easy Italian Reader and switched to dual-language Italian readers for German learners published by dtv, which I had mentioned in my previous entry. I finished Prime Letture - Erste italienische Lesestücke a while ago and am now almost at the end of Ricordi, ricordi - Italien erinnert sich which is a collection of short texts for beginners about Italian culture and history. These are perfect while riding the bus going to and from work as I can usually read a text (both the Italian original and the German translation) every day without straining myself or getting bored (this was a becoming a bit of a problem for me with Easy Italian Reader). I'm not sure what my next book in Italian will be but do have a choice of a few more such volumes already on my shelf, albeit at a higher level of difficulty.

I recently finished Chapter 1 in Progetto Italian Junior 3 (B1) and feel a bit disappointed. I just couldn't get into it as much as I did with Nuovo Progetto Italiano 1 (A1-A2). It could have been the chapter's content - movies and the conditional tenses - or the instructional approach which is aimed at teenagers but I don't want to give up on the material yet. I figure that I'll have a better idea about the suitability of the kit after finishing Chapter 2.

---

SLOVAK

I've finished Chapter 4 in Hovorme spolu po slovensky 'B' Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk and am halfway through Chapter 5. I'm keeping things light and not hitting the textbook too hard whenever I set time aside for Slovak. I did however find that my listening skills need a lot of work while doing comprehension/transcription exercises with the audio. I had to replay and rewind the relevant tracks several times to note all of the required information per the exercises' instructions. I'm still reading those e-books for young readers by Václav Šuplata which I mentioned in my previous entry, and have moved on to Jullien a jeho noví kamaráti after finishing Rozprávky zo šuplíka. Like the dual-language readers of Italian I've been reading, these are collections of short texts (or rather short stories) and don't overly strain me.

(Source: SHOOTY - som Grogy via Snowcherries from France)
9) "Sometimes you look as if you like it at work!"

---

MISCELLANEOUS

Much of my language learning has shifted to more reading and less work with textbooks. It stems in part from my being more tired lately with longer days at the office but also from the enjoyment that I've been getting just from reading in a foreign language. This has also made me spend some time looking into online collections of short stories and other texts in my target languages, past and present. More on that in a bit.

I was recently in Europe and made my obligatory stops in bookstores. It's not surprising that I came out of the exercise with a few goodies.

I've come to be interested in those little books published by Reclam Verlag which are usually cheap and compact paperbacks of classics from German literature but there are also plenty of offerings from classics in other languages (either in the original or German translation). On this trip, I picked up a collection of 33 German short stories for 10 Euros (yes, yes, I could have bought it (and other books by Reclam) on Amazon for a similar price in US dollars after accounting for shipping and the exchange rate) as well as learning material for Slovak (Krížom-krážom - Slovenčina B2) and Hungarian (Magyar OK - B1+). Buying these last two in Europe was much easier on the wallet overall because I didn't have to pay for transatlantic shipping.

The nice aspect for me with short stories in German is that the genre really took off in the 20th century in the German-speaking world and so there's a lot in the way of interesting and memorable short stories put down in modern German and have themes and settings that are often more relatable than otherwise (my apologies to Kleist who's a fine writer from the 19th century). For the purposes of increasing my passive knowledge this is all great as I have found that reading fairy tales isn't always as good as it seems from the learner's viewpoint despite being typically associated with children. The sometimes fantastic settings combined with the tendency to use more of the literary register with certain archaisms add linguistic complexity to the task compared to reading a short story from the 20th century.

I don't know when I'll get around to using either the Slovak or Hungarian stuff but they had been on my wishlist for quite a while given that it's slim pickings for proper learning material for more advanced students of these languages. Both sets are usable for self-study as they come with answer keys although it's also clear from some of the exercises that they're actually designed primarily for the classroom. The Hungarian material actually comes as a bundle of a textbook and workbook, and is supplemented by a website with .pdfs and media files. I didn't know about it earlier but found out at the bookstore that the Slovak book is now supplemented by a workbook at B1 and B2 for extra practice in grammar and spelling. In the past, there had been a similar worbook available only for the volumes of Krížom-krážom at A1 and A2.

About short stories in my target languages, I found out a few more things on the subject that could be useful even to others who share my enthusiasm for using short texts (not to mention comic strips) as sources of authentic content for the target language.

For German, there's a ton of material available for free or cheap under the keywords "Kurzgeschichten", "Romane" and "Erzählungen". Quality varies since amateurs and semi-professionals also put out short stories and it costs next to nothing for them to publish their work on the internet. Here are a few links to free (and legal) stuff:

- Kurzgeschichten und Erzählungen Online Lesen (this is full of modern short stories of varying quality and seems associated with Dr. Ronald Henss Verlag)
- e-Stories.de (most stories are in German but some are in other languages)
- François Loeb Kurzgeschichten (this is the website of François Loeb, a Swiss politician, entrepreneur and writer. As a nice touch he's recorded himself reading his own short stories and so you can hear a native of Swiss German reading aloud. He is an old man so it might be a little hard for some learners to get used to someone his age reading the target language with an uncommon accent (Swiss in this case). I mention this in light of how often learners of German get used to the pronunciation of people or instructors from Germany and who are no older than middle age.

After revisiting Hungary (where do you think I got those Hungarian textbooks?) and refreshing my Hungarian on the road, I started reexamining my options for short stories in Hungarian. I have mentioned the Hungarian Digital Library on HTLAL and it's really a great resource for anyone interested in finding online versions of many works by the big names of Hungarian literature. What I also found on checking out the library again is that it also has some Hungarian translations of literature in English. Off the top of my head, I found Hungarian translations of some of Shakespeare's plays as well as translations of Dafoe's Robinson Crusoe, Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities and even some short stories from Leacock's Nonsense Novels. When going the other way around, I did find a few translations in English of works by Hungarian writers including an anthology of short stories by Iván Mándy (some of the Hungarian originals are available for free through the digital library of the Petőfi Museum of Literature) and Karinthy's Please Sir! (original: Tanár úr kérem!). With a bit of effort, I could make dual-language texts using just material online or by combining an online text in the original from MEK with a translation in hard copy (ideally obtained for cheap through Amazon Marketplace or similar).

Lastly, but still on the subject of dual-language texts for learners of Hungarian, I also stumbled on a collection of 175 short dual-language texts in the Hungarian edition of Readers' Digest. I think that I'll print these out for future use. :idea:
8 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:11 pm

Thanks for your interesting and enlightening posts. Keep em coming!
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:06 am

This seems to be a thing on r/language learning so I just killed some time on Mapchart.

It's rather neat to see how much geographic spread I've built up and a good reminder that as a false beginner I could get up to speed linguistically more quickly than usual for a big part of Eurasia. Failing that, I could fall back on just being a native speaker of English whenever dealing with the millions of speakers of EFL. 8-)

I colored a country on this simple map of the world (i.e. no intra-country subdivisions and most small islands excluded) if at least one of the following is true:

i) I've studied its associated language for at least 6 months' regardless of its official status (i.e. an accommodation for Northern Saami)
ii) I'm studying that language regardless of its official status
iii) I'm already comfortable using that language and it's at least co-official.

I did not count languages in which I've dabbled as that would have made the map's color scheme very confusing. In any case, I probably forgot to color in a few countries. Oh well.

- A country in just a solid color means that I'm comfortable in using the relevant official language professionally or studying it as of today.
- A country in the checkered pattern means that both languages are used there officially, and I am either comfortable using both of them or am studying one while being comfortable with using the other.
- A country in the polka-dotted pattern means that I have studied its official language for at least 6 months; actual proficiency varies from one language to the next.
- Because of the simplification of the map and coloring options, I had to color in all of Norway and Sweden but exclude Finland to indicate Northern Saami. The speech community has roughly 20,000 people who live throughout northern Fennoscandia (i.e. far northern regions in each of Norway, Sweden and Finland)

Apart from the inclusion of Northern Saami, I related my linguistic background with official status of the relevant languages rather than actual usage or distribution within a given country. For example, I've colored Botswana red to show that my knowledge of English would be useful and is nominally backed socially and administratively by the country's treatment of the language as co-official. On the other hand, I'm aware that my knowledge might not take me as far as suggested in Botswana since English isn't actually the primary language of the country. In another example, I left the Netherlands gray even though I know that my knowledge of English takes me very far in that country considering the degree to which it's used as a second language there despite Dutch being the official language.

I've marked a country for English if it's an official or co-official language per this map. I've marked a country with French if it's an official language per this map.
5 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:56 am

GERMAN

I've finally finished Chapter 4 of Geschäftliche Begegnungen B1+ and have been making good progress with JG 301's war diary. I've got about 10 more pages to go and it's definitely become more interesting since the author, Willi Reschke, inserted his flight experiences as the western Allies increase their air superiority over Germany. He joined the unit in the middle of 1944 and many of the entries since that point come off more as his diary than a drier retelling of events based on combat reports and victory/loss tabulations.

In the meantime, I also picked up in quick order second-hand collections of children stories by Erich Kästner, anthologies of short stories by Siegfried Lenz, a couple more volumes of Le Petit Nicolas in German translation, and a collection of satire by Ephraim Kishon. I'm sure grateful that I was able to pick these up second-hand and save a few bucks - they're also older editions so I have to deal with German spelling from before the reforms of 1996-2004 - as altogether it would have cost me a small fortune in their latest editions and new.

Kishon is especially intriguing to me after having got a recommendation here. He was a survivor of the Holocaust who left Hungary for Israel after the communist takeover in the former. Despite Hungarian being his mother tongue (and probably German as an alternative "home" language), he quickly learned Hebrew in Israel well enough to make a name for himself writing satirical columns for Israeli newspapers only a few years after his arrival in the country. Eventually much of his work was translated in several languages and he became especially popular in Hungary and the German-speaking world in addition to Israel. He himself was amused at how popular he had become among descendants of those involved in the Holocaust. I had to smile a bit on learning that he eventually got around to translating some of his works to German by his own hand after having long relied on Friedrich Torberg, a satirist in his own right, to do this work.

Now I have more than enough good/promising stuff to read in hard copy to last me well into the new decade in addition to what I already have in the language.

(Source: Kobi Köter und seine Freunde sind kreativ via Kobi Köter)
1) "Awesome! It's so cold that my pee is frozen..."
2) "Hey, it comes out also like a spiral!" - *giggle*
3) "...or like cubes!" - "Wow!"

---

ITALIAN

Not long after my last log entry, I finished Ricordi, ricordi - Italien erinnert sich which is a collection of short dual-language texts for German-speaking beginners in Italian about Italian culture and history. Since then I've read two cheap graded readers by Sonia Ognibene: Non puoi essere tu and Sarai mio, and am now on the last volume in the series, La prossima vittima. To be honest, I haven't found any of her books that entertaining (I've never liked mystery as a genre) although as a learner I do value that they're at a suitable level so that I don't always burn up time consulting a dictionary, and the very short chapters lend themselves to reading on the way to and from work. I have a small stack of those dual-language (Italian-German) collections of short stories published by dtv but they're nowhere near as easy as the other two volumes from dtv that I've read already. I may turn to something fairly easy but still in the same genre after finishing La prossima vittima. I did get a recommendation to look into Gianni Rodari so that's a possibility, and of course I could always pick up an Italian translation of Le Petit Nicolas (I can't overstate how good these kids' stories can be for learners wanting accessible and authentic reading material of manageable length).

I also finished Chapter 2 in Progetto Italiano Junior 3 (B1) and feel a little better about continuing to use the course but I'm still not totally convinced. Every now and then l think about setting it aside and getting a fresh start with Nuovo Progetto Italiano 2 since it is the designated follow-up to Nuovo Progetto Italiano 1 which I rather liked.

---

SLOVAK

I've finished Chapter 5 in the textbook for Hovorme spolu po slovensky 'B' Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk and am about three-quarters of the way through the workbook for the same chapter. Whenever I've "studied" any Slovak lately, I've been most often reading those e-books for young readers by Václav Šuplata which I mentioned in my previous entry. I'm now reading Illusion after having finished Jullien a jeho noví kamaráti. AnthonyLauder's recent post about intensive versus extensive reading/listening made me realize that I fall firmly into an intensive style, although I'm reading these stories at home on my laptop and so can look things up on online Slovak dictionaries at will even when I understand the plot, and then add to my Slovak vocabulary lists in Excel. If I were reading these on the bus, I wouldn't be inclined to do things this way (hell, I probably wouldn't even read these texts on the bus at all since I had decided that I want to increase my Slovak vocabulary by taking the time to look up and note unfamiliar words in Šuplata's texts as I encountered them).

(Source: Shooty: Kolosálne dielo via Shooty - Denník N Komentáre)
Crime / Suspense
Collected correspondence of Marian Kočner* A-C Collected correspondence of Marian Kočner* Č-E
* Marian Kočner is a businessman with a shady reputation who's been charged for ordering the murder of Ján Kuciak, an investigative journalist. Kuciak's murder set off large protests in Slovakia and even in the Czech Republic and eventually caused the resignation of the prime minister and his cabinet. The cartoon alludes to Kočner's extensive connections, and corruption in general in Slovakia.

---

MISCELLANEOUS

I'm still holding out on reopening my Hungarian books. As I've got into a bit of a groove with reading in the other languages, and fallen into a bit of a rut in other aspects of life, I haven't felt like shaking things up with my current language plan.
4 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:49 pm

GERMAN

I've started chapter 5 of Geschäftliche Begegnungen B1+ and finished reading JG 301's war diary. The books that I mentioned in the previous entry have arrived and after the relatively complicated prose of the war diary (basically lots of passive sentences and some technical vocabulary that I found tough to understand even in English translation before looking up the underlying technology in Wikipedia), I'm now happily reading Der kleine Nick. Even though it's just a kids' book, I'm still learning new vocabulary and idiomatic (if not somewhat youthful) phrasing. One of the items that I like is rundgehen "to go around". I didn't know that it's also an informal way to translate "to become a circus/gong-show; all hell to break loose" as in:

'Eine Erinnerung fürs Leben' in Goscinny & Sempé. “Der kleine Nick.” Omnibus Verlag, 2003, p. 16 wrote:»Gut«, hat der Fotograf gesagt, »dann geht mal ganz lieb und artig auf eure Plätze. Die Größten stellen sich auf die Kisten, die Mittelgroßen stellen sich in die zweite Reihe und die Kleinsten setzen sich in die erste.« Wir haben das gemacht und der Fotograf hat unserer Lehrerin erklärt, dass man bei Kindern alles erreichen kann, wenn man nur mit Geduld vorgeht, aber unsere Lehrerin hat schon nicht mehr zugehört, nämlich sie musste uns trennen, denn es ist schon wieder rundgegangen, weil alle auf die Kisten wollten.
(It's photo day for the class and it's never dull with Nicholas and his classmates...)

I've picked up Hallo! Wortschatztraining B1 again which I last mentioned here and keep it at my desk at work. On my lunch break, I can usually work through one chapter which isn't a big deal since each chapter is very short and self-contained dealing with only a small stock of vocabulary tied to a theme or subject area. I've just finished chapter 14 "In der Bäckerei und auf dem Markt" (out of 99) and will start the next chapter "Kleidung / Im Modgeschäft" next week.

Lastly, I recently found out about logo! - die Kindernachrichten des ZDF which is a 10-minute daily news program for kids on ZDF. The advantage over the similar Nachrichten leicht and Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten is that this is a TV program and I can switch on German subtitles rather like closed captioning as the broadcast runs. Even though the last two websites are meant for adults and go more in depth, it's less interesting for me to do straight listening-reading of an article than to watch the news with optional subtitles in the target language. I'll definitely be using these broadcasts for the forseeable future. I'm thinking about watching a day's broadcast from logo! twice without subtitles and then watching it twice with them.

(Source: 23.12.2004 - Schon wieder ein Geheimnis, das wir gar nicht so genau wissen wollten. via Kevin & Kell)
1) "Wasps are very skilled in making paper..."
2) "They chew plants and mix them with saliva..."
3) "...and (thus) create a strong material from cellulose."
4) "Why is no one allowed to see how the gifts are wrapped at the mall?" - "It's said that it's to preserve the 'magic'."

---

ITALIAN

I've just started chapter 3 in Progetto Italiano Junior 3(B1) which touches on online life among Italians. At my current pace, I don't expect to finish the chapter before the end of January. I'm still plowing through La prossima vittima and it's a getting a little more interesting although in some moments I feel tempted to drop it and start reading instead another of those Italian-German collections of anecdotes/short stories from dtv...

---

SLOVAK

I'm still on chapter 5 of the workbook for Hovorme spolu po slovensky 'B' Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk and will be a little disappointed in myself if I can't finish it before the end of the year. At least I then could start 2020 with chapter 6 of the series and so be on the last unit of the books designated for CEFR B1 (part 2 of the books is for CEFR B2). I've just finished reading another short story in Illusion and look on with some satisfaction at my growing spreadsheet of unfamiliar Slovak vocabulary with its translations, notes on usage and examples taken from Šuplata's texts.

(Source: 1991.12.13 via Garfield.wz.cz)
1) "I did it! I finally picked up a beautiful tree!"
2) "And what's more - for half price!"
3) "What do you say to that?" - "I think that it was a fair price."

Yes, this strip is in Czech but with the severe lack of suitable online strips in Slovak nowadays and how frequently Slovaks have made do with Czech media or translations to Czech only, I'm just copying the natives and stepping outside the learner's bubble. 8-)
2 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:45 am

GERMAN

I'm still working on chapter 5 of Geschäftliche Begegnungen B1+ and already about three-quarters of the way through Der Kleine Nick. I've also reached chapter 21 "Freizeit und Unterhaltung" in Hallo! Wortschatztraining B1. In general, I've been learning new things here and there and am just trying to enjoy the process knowing that at least my passive ability and comfort in expressing myself is slowly improving. On evenings after work when I'm in the mood to do something with German but too lazy to bust out the books, I've made myself watch a broadcast of logo! - Kindernachrichten first without the German subtitles and then with the subtitles. I've also expanded my reading material a little bit and will go into a bit more detail on this under "MISCELLANEOUS".

(Source: 31.12.2010 - Touché.)
1) "Hi there! I'm the good fairy and you're allowed to make a wish but could you please do so before I freeze my ass off."
2) "I wish that I finally stick to all of my New Year's resolutions." (literally: "...all of my good resolutions")

---

ITALIAN

I've just started Chapter 4 in Progetto Italiano Junior 3(B1) which introduces the comparative and superlative while touching on Italian cities and phrases used to talk about the weather. I finished La prossima vittima by Sonia Ognibene about a month ago (thank God) and have started reading a collection of short stories by Gianni Rodari in one of those dual-language Italian-German readers published by dtv. It's been somewhat slow going as I haven't found all of the stories that interesting even though they're not mystery like Ognibene's trilogy and that's a genre that I've never enjoyed much in any language.

As with German, I've broadened somewhat my horizons for reading material and will go into more detail under "MISCELLANEOUS".

---

SLOVAK

I'm now onto chapter 6 of Hovorme spolu po slovensky 'B' Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk and have the end in sight considering that this is the last chapter in each of the textbook and workbook meant for students at CEFR B1. The chapter introduces the conditional but for me it's just something else to review. I've let Slovak fade a bit as I've dug deeper in German over the last little while. I'm about halfway through Illusion but last read one of its short stories at the end of December. I ought to get back in the routine soon to read some more stories and add to my spreadsheet of unfamiliar Slovak vocabulary taken from Šuplata's texts.

(Source: Bežecký prípitok via Kukučka)
"To better times!"

---

MISCELLANEOUS

I recently got a spark of inspiration at a bookstore having caught sight of some kids' encyclopedias/non-fiction books published by DK. Since I was a kid, I've enjoyed reading non-fiction more than fiction and even read the entire set of a junior encyclopedia when I was 10. On seeing those books from DK recently, I thought that I should check out those kinds of books in German and Italian. I've tried to read articles on German Wikipedia but they can be too much, and have wanted some "light" but interesting reading material. After a bit of digging, I found lots of encyclopedias for kids under "Kinderlexikon" or "Jugendlexikon" for cheap on Amazon and bought one so that it's now in the living room and I can leaf through it as if it were a coffee table book. I've done something similar with Italian by looking on Amazon for "enciclopedia per ragazzi" / "enciclopedia per bambini", and am now awaiting delivery of an encyclopedia for kids for those times when I want to read some Italian non-fiction that's suitable for my level but away from my computer.

As free alternatives, I found Klexikon and Vikidia. Klexikon is rather like Wikipedia for German-speaking kids but with strict contribution policies in that its editors as a whole decide which articles to create for children who are looking for reference material for class assignments. The resulting articles cover the main points of a topic while still being concise and explained in terms a 10-year old kid can understand. As someone who still sometimes gets bogged down while reading articles in German Wikipedia for subjects that interest me, Klexikon is a nice option and I can still learn something new in its articles which increase my inventory of (useless) general knowledge. In contrast, Vikidia seems to be more like Wikipedia than Klexikon because anyone is able to create an article just like on regular Wikipedia, and the quality and length of articles (I saw lots of stub articles in Vikidia) aren't as consistently useful/good for kids as in Klexikon.

Lastly, Hungarian still isn't quite out of mind. Last week I stumbled on an archive of Ludas Matyi which was a communist-era satirical magazine and found myself leafing through the jokes and old cartoons. It all got me tempted to get back on the saddle with Hungarian and dive back in MagyarOK A2+ or even start fresh with MagyarOK B1+ which I had picked up last fall in Hungary.

Majd meglátjuk... / We shall see...
4 x

Chung
Blue Belt

Postby Chung » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:48 am

GERMAN

I finished Chapter 7 of Geschäftliche Begegnungen B1+ and with it the entire textbook some time ago. Looking back I didn't take as well as I had hoped to learning German with something more focused on business. Although I sometimes enjoyed learning more about certain aspects of the German economy and labor market to go with the associated vocabulary, I found it sometimes hard to stay focused on the assigned texts because of how it covered topics in which I had no experience or differed a fair bit from my professional and educational experiences in the USA and Canada.

Between Fokus Deutsch - Erfolgreich in Alltag und Beruf - B2 and Erkundungen B2, I'm still not sure which one I'll pick as my next textbook, and have been working through the rest of Hallo! Wortschatztraining B1 instead and am on chapter 40 out of 99. In fact, I just want to improve my passive abilities further by reading and watching more. I've already started reading another war diary, this one about a bomber unit in World War II titled Chronik Kampfgeschwader 55 'Greif' covering its bombing raids at the start of war during the invasion of Poland to its conversion to a fighter unit defending Germany from air raids by the end of the war. So far it's going OK and I've reached the middle of the chapter dealing with its missions supporting the German invasion of France and the Benelux in 1940 although I do find the prose harder to follow than in the other war diary that I've read Chronik Jagdgeschwader 301/302 'Wilde Sau'. As far as watching German, I'm sticking to logo! - Kindernachrichten as it's simple and accessible enough for me while still lending itself to some self-instruction thanks to optional German subtitles that act as a running transcript so that I can test how much I really understand when watching the first couple of times without the subtitles.

(Source: Logikboot from xkcDE)
1) Problem: The boat carries only two but you can't leave the goat with the cabbage and you can't leave the wolf with the goat.
2) Solution: 1. Bring over the goat.
3) 2. Go back alone.
4) 3. Bring over the cabbage.
5) 4. Leave the wolf behind. Why did you have a wolf?

---

ITALIAN

I finished Progetto Italiano Junior 3(B1) a while ago and then moved onto Nuovo Progetto Italiano 2 (B1-B2). I finished Chapter 1 of the latter but found it heavier going than I wanted despite much of the "new" grammar being familiar with me (here it focused on prepositions). After working through Nuovo Progetto Italiano 1 (A1-A2) and Progetto Italiano Junior 3 (B1) which are monolingual textbooks, going through a third such book in Nuovo Progetto Italiano 2 was killing my motivation, I figured. After some tooling about on the Internet, I snagged a used copy of the BBC's Italianissimo 2 from Amazon and found the audio and video on YouTube. I just needed a change in my resources and it's nice to use an Italian textbook again that has full explanations in English. Despite their solidity and adaptability for self-instruction with their copious exercises, answer keys and supplemental audio and video, the (Nuovo) Progetto Italiano books are by the same publisher and it shows in the layout of every chapter.

Italianissimo 2 has "intermediate" on the cover and predates the era of CEFR but browsing through it makes me think that it's suitable for anyone from A2 to B2. It reminds me a bit of the (Nuovo) Progetto Italiano series by introducing something about Italian culture in every chapter as well as incoporating video interviews and other authentic content as starting points for comprehension exercises. Because English is the intermediary language, I find that it lends itself better than a monolingual textbook for vocabulary building and idioms since its infoboxes can explain the nuances and significance of the Italian word or phrases by comparing them to English counterparts as useful. I recently started with the book and am settling into the first chapter which is about health and fitness, and covers a fair bit of ground linguistically encompassing body parts, feelings and imperatives.

The video playlists for Italianissimo are handy and I've been watching even the videos for the first volume to improve my passive abilities as well as learn a bit about the country's landmarks and customs, dated as the footage is.

(Source: Bar Barie #01 from Mammaiuto)
1) "Boss, one coffee!" - Mmm...
2) They usually call you 'boss' when you're in charge. Behind the counter they call you 'boss' to remind you that you're (a) nobody!
3) "Boss, two negronis!" - "Boss, one spritz!" - "Boss, one cynar!" - "This is humiliating!!! Why do you call me 'boss' if I don't mean ƒцҫқ all?!"
4) "Hey, ƒцҫқface, make me a negroni!" - "Make that two, dumbass!" - "Don't forget the spritz, ãşşhole!"

This was a surprisingly entertaining choice as my first exposure to Italian comics and not just because I learned about a few drinks that I've never heard of.

---

SLOVAK

I finished Chapter 6 of Hovorme spolu po slovensky 'B' Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk some time ago and because it was the last chapter of the book, I figured that it was a convenient time to give into temptation and replace Slovak with Hungarian. The funny thing is that I haven't yet restarted Hungarian and I've honestly had little motivation to do much with foreign languages outside German and Italian. The most that I could do for the next few months with Slovak is just some haphazard work on my passive abilities and with the second (or third?) wave in full swing, I'm not getting ahead of myself by thinking about when in 2021 I'll be able to revisit Slovakia or see my Slovak friends again. Maybe I'll just read or watch the occasional bit in Slovak so that I don't lose too much of my knowledge.

(Source: Romantik via ČiernyHumor)
- "I go out for walks with my girlfriend only late at night."
- "Why?"
- "All of the restaurants are closed, I don't need to pay anything."
- "You're brilliant!"
- "She thinks that it's romantic. "

---

HUNGARIAN

I haven't yet restarted it but am planning to get going again as of January 1 by continuing with the second volume of Halló, itt Magyarország! which I left halfway finished in 2018. To work on my listening and speaking abilities during these times, I'm also planning to make another pass through the substitution and transformation drills in FSI Hungarian Basic Course from the very beginning. I last ran through these drills about 15 years ago. I've also been reading iguanamon's posts about using the old DLI courses and seeing if I can also use DLI Basic Hungarian Course for some extra drilling. I'll probably get bored pretty quickly doing the first few units of the FSI course or the first 30-odd lessons in the DLI course, but I would also be able to boost my confidence by completing exercises that are tied to a fairly small stock of vocabulary. Once I finish Halló, itt Magyarország!, I'd restart Magyar OK A2+ in which I cleared only the first chapter a few years ago. I may as well restart from the beginning anyway. Who knows when I'll get to start Magyar OK B1+. I'll need to see what other fun stuff like YouTube videos or comic strips I can find for improving my passive abilities in Hungarian.

(Source: Dodó 285 from Hé, Dodó!)
1) "Miss, allow me to solemnly ask for your ha..."
2) *Gets distracted by a woman walking by*
3) "I've kick-boxed for ten years and am a black belt master." - "...nd"
9 x

Return to “Language logs”