Jeff's language log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Jeff's language log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:57 pm

cjareck wrote:You have nine times more cards for Portuguese than I have for Hebrew! Do you gradually review the unseen cards also? If yes, at which rate? Also Esperanto and Mandarin decks are impressive.

My daily rate of new cards is set to 50, which explains why the number of unseen cards decreases with ~18 000 per year (50x365= 18 250, barring days when I'm travelling, or if just miss my reviews).

The number of mature cards increased more in 2019 than the previous years - this has to do with how well I know the cards that are thrown at me. Who knows, maybe I (finally) absorbed sentence patterns and vocabulary and gave myself a higher grade on those cards.

The number of young+learn cards increased with ~1800 in 2019, then dropped to 1020 this year. Vocabulary learning isn't static/linear/predictable, hence the difference.

Portuguese is 100% based on a Tatoeba deck, Esperanto is a mix of manually added content and Tatoeba, and that also applies to Mandarin (I think).
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 1st Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:01 pm

2020 - Summary of week 1

This year started without Italian, Norwegian and Polish. Irish will be my main focus for some time.

GA: I started the first day of the year with a morning walk - finally I transferred my Linguaphone mp3 files to my audio device. I know I listened to the tapes in May 2007, but that was long before my trips to Glencolmcille and also before my university studies. This time I understood quite a lot! I finished listening to the material in five days, i.e. five walks. Today I listened to podcasts from RnaG, more specifically the programme Siúlach Scéalach (at the bottom of the page). I will mix that content with the audio files from the course.

More Duolingo. I won't rush. I finished the whole tree a long time ago, but skills get rusty and there's also a chance that Duolingo added levels after I took a break. I have thought of doing some grammar work with Nancy Stenson's Basic Irish and Intermediate Irish and/or adding the sentences to Anki.

Cultural content: No Chinese TV this week. Another half a dozen books finished. In the 4th episode of the TV drama series World on Fire, a familiar face appeared. Who was it? Where had I seen this guy? After some thinking - Michael Levi Harris, the actor from Polyglot Gathering Berlin 2015+2016!
5 x

Llorg Blog - Wiki

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 1st Dan
de, es
ga, eo
---

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:11 pm

2020 - Summary of week 2

GA: Another week of daily walks with nothing but Irish in my ears. The podcasts are from all over the place (but from . I would lie if I said that I understand a lot, but it's still enjoyable to listen to one of my favourite languages. It's music to my ears.

And speaking of music, some really old podcasts are fleadh recordings. If you've been playing this music for nearly 30 years now, you develop a good ear for what you're listening to. One group stood out. Just based on the arrangements, the sound, and the repertoire, I made a correct guess. A group which I've never heard, but of course I've heard about them.

Seán Ó Riada with Ceoltóirí Chualann - if you've ever heard of the Chieftains, you would recognize some of the band members; and their individual styles, the repertoire, everything, is present in these Ceoltóirí Chualann recordings.

More Duolingo.

Cultural content: No Chinese TV this week either. One South Korean film (Parasite). A handful of books finished.
2 x

Llorg Blog - Wiki

DaveAgain
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native), French (intermediate).

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:28 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:In the 4th episode of the TV drama series World on Fire, a familiar face appeared. Who was it? Where had I seen this guy? After some thinking - Michael Levi Harris, the actor from Polyglot Gathering Berlin 2015+2016!
I looked that up:
I like the idea of the acting techniques one, give characters to lanugages. I've not watched the others yet.

Thanks for mentioning him. :-)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”