Not all those who wander are lost

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sfuqua
Brown Belt
Languages: English(N),
Irish(beginner, rusting),
Samoan(FSI 4+, rusty),
Tagalog (use daily),
Spanish (reading)
French (reading)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Re: Not all those who wander are lost

Postby sfuqua » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:34 pm

@daveagain, this sounds likely. It's interesting to know that there was an Anglo Saxon community there then. I'm need to read up more on the original paper that produced the sample.
Anyway, people everywhere have been moving and mixing forever, and my DNA results sort of surprise me in that they are so strongly northwestern European, even after centuries of mixing in Europe and Kentucky.
The effect of the samples you compare to are as important as the DNA you start off with. If we only had samples from bananas and mushrooms, I would be saying now, "Well, I'm way more mushroom than banana."
Do mushrooms have a language I can study? Are there any good shows on Netflix, full of sex and violence, about mushrooms?
1 x
24000 pages : 9276 / 24000 books or audiobooks, Spanish or French
I'm doing about half and half Spanish and French at this point.

sfuqua
Brown Belt
Samoan(FSI 4+, rusty),
Tagalog (use daily),
Spanish (reading)
French (reading)

Postby sfuqua » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:29 pm

I'm just happlily fooling around with ancient Germanic languages. The past few days I have been fooling with Old English again. I have a 5000 card anki deck that I made from textbooks and online texts, and I'm fooling with that. I definitely spend more time making anki decks than I do studying them sometimes.

I love the anglo-saxon poetry I have been reading. Some of it is so alien to our modern way of life and some of it is so familiar. It's a shame that the Anglo-Saxon tribes that swept through England after the Romans left didn't really write histories. It would be nice to hear their side of the story. One person online pointed out that if one only had the writings of anti immigrant politicians to describe what is going on in our society today, one would see a story of massive invasion and destruction.

The Anglo-Saxons were obviously far more than illiterate warriors. Illiterate they may have mostly been, but they also had brains and insight. And poetry :D
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:29 pm

I have only read and/or listened to three poems in Old English: Beowulf, Caedmon's wee thing and the Battle of Brunanburh, which you can hear on Youtube - the rest has been prose, mainly chronicles. And that's quite dry stuff indeed.

Which other poetic works have you used? I can see that you have had a peek at Old Norse (in the 'regularized' spelling, of course), but have you also tried to read Old Saxon?
0 x

sfuqua
Brown Belt
Samoan(FSI 4+, rusty),
Tagalog (use daily),
Spanish (reading)
French (reading)

Postby sfuqua » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:52 am

No, I haven't actually tried Saxon, @Iversen Germanic languages are pretty foreign to me, since I never have even studied one before. I looked at Old Norse a bit, and the similarities to Old English is obvious. I've spent some time at http://mdrout.webspace.wheatoncollege.edu/ . My sentences for my big deck came from various sources on the net and I've made the deck from translations of varying quality.
@Iversen, it is amusing that you would stop by here, because I just made myself a deck with your name in it. I decided that, among other things, I need to blast a bunch of vocabulary into my head quickly to help to get a handle on what I am reading. I build a list of about 3500 words with translations from various sources, and I promptly proved the utility of your wordlist system. I prefer to use anki for my vocabulary study, so I sliced the wordlist up into 6 word lists and started studying those on cards, being sure to study the lists both ways. When I started just slamming into big lists of words, well I was terrible. I would get stuck on the same words over and over again. My attempts to use mnemonics didn't seem to help. Sitting there and taking two or three minutes a word to try to think of a good mnemonic is not an efficient way to learn vocabulary. Today, using your list method was much better. It goes a lot better at 6 words a bite, and the words seem to stick better. Anki is great for remembering things, but it doesn't work so well for learning things sometimes.

I am very shaky on the different paradigms of Old English, and I need to figure out an approach to those. Maybe I'll spend some time singing through the declensions and conjugations, the way we did it back when I was learning (and promptly forgetting) Latin.

Thanks for your generosity in sharing your wordlist method :D

I've got a few thousand sentences from poetry mostly in an anki deck, and I've got a little less than 6 hours of poetry, with bilingual pages to read, listen to, and shadow, so if I keep up my concentration, I should learn something. :D

Tomorrow morning when I wake up, I'll start my day by getting out my phone, opening anki, and starting drilling words using my IVERSEN_OE deck.
4 x

sfuqua
Brown Belt
Samoan(FSI 4+, rusty),
Tagalog (use daily),
Spanish (reading)
French (reading)

Postby sfuqua » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:08 pm

I think that a lot of the fun I'm having with old English is just simply the fun one can get from any classical language, the fun of hearing words in your head from so long ago...
7 x

Return to “Language logs”