Lingua's 2019 Italian, Sicilian, Latin, German, Portuguese Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying italiano (B1/B2)
Dabbling in siciliano, Latin, piemontèis, português & Deutsch
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9868

Re: Lingua's 2019 Italian, Sicilian & Latin Log

Postby lingua » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:03 pm

I am reading them as kindle eBooks. The illustrations aren't strictly necessary but I think they add to understanding the content. As far as I know they're only available as ebooks or printed copies so I don't believe PDF is an option.
0 x
Italian double SC Completed!: watched: 212 / 212 read: 300 / 300
Read 100 Italian books: 79 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying italiano (B1/B2)
Dabbling in siciliano, Latin, piemontèis, português & Deutsch
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9868

Postby lingua » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:54 am

Call me crazy but I added two languages this week. German and European Portuguese. German was my first foreign language and I studied it for a couple of years originally. I've gone back to it a few times and it comes back to me fairly quickly however my level was probably only ever A1ish as far as I can remember. I've dabbled in Portuguese several times as well but not for very long. I started doing Duolingo for both and then Clozemaster. Memrise offered a $30 one year deal so I decided to try their two courses. I don't know how good they are so I'm unsure if I will stay with them or not. I have other materials available that I bought in the past that I can use. Clozemaster has both languages from Italian or English available. In both cases I preferred the Italian which also has sound. I would like to get to a point where I can read in another language like I do in Italian.

I enjoy studying Sicilian, Latin and the various dialects but they aren't languages I am going to immerse myself in and I have always intended to pick these two back up at some point. I picked a ridiculous time to add languages because with the Thanksgiving holiday that just passed and the upcoming holidays for the rest of the year my study time will already be reduced. I'll probably alternate German and Portuguese to every other day so I can concentrate on one at a time.

German:
Memrise German I: Averaged about 1 minute per day
Clozemaster: New: 20 & Reviewed: 36 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 6 crowns

European Portuguese:
Memrise Portuguese 1: Averaged about 1 minute per day
Clozemaster: New: 30 & Reviewed: 38 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 4 crowns

Latin:
Decks: Averaged about 1 min of review only per day
Clozemaster: New: 0 & Reviewed: 323 (multiple choice)
Duolingo: 4 crowns

Sicilian:
Decks: Averaged about 8 minutes per day just like last week
Textbook: Beginner's Sicilian by Joseph Privitera: Lesson 8
Peppa Pig: 14mins

I have added all of the words for lesson 8 to Decks. YouTube has Peppa Pig in Sicilian so I listened to five short episodes. I dislike Peppa Pig immensely but the Sicilian didn't bother me as some of the other languages.

Italian:
Reading: La linea verticale by Mattia Torre 26%
Reading: Venezia è un pesce ... una guida by Tiziano Scarpa 11%
Reading: Marie Curie e i segerti atomici svelati by Luca Novelli 1% (barely started)
Decks: Averaged about 2 mins of review only per day
Clozemaster: New: 50 & Reviewed: 312 sentences (text input)

Book #79: Kefir benefici e ricette by Liana Zorzi. This book was about the benefits of Kefir and how to make it. There were also a few recipes that would probably work just as with yogurt. It also talked about tibicos which I never heard of it. Whereas Kefir is fermented milk the tibicos is fermented water (with the help of bacteria and yeast). It is evidently sweeter than Kefir. I don't believe I've ever had Kefir and while I'm willing to try it I thought making it was too much work.

kefir.jpg
kefir.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 44 times
2 x
Italian double SC Completed!: watched: 212 / 212 read: 300 / 300
Read 100 Italian books: 79 / 100

kanewai
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic
Inactive: Turkish, Indonesian, Pááfang
Very Inactive: Latin, Ancient Greek

Postby kanewai » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:58 am

I took the Memrise deal too. I'm still not sure how much I'll do ... I added seven languages, but have rapidly been paring them back.
1 x
Manuel Puig, El beso de la mujer araña : 15 / 100
Ibrahim al-Koni, Les mages: 245 / 620
Andrea Camilleri, La forma dell acqua: 28 / 100
L.L. Arabic: 20 / 30

Return to “Language logs”