Aloyse's study log (ZH, JP, maybe EN, ES, AR ?)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Aloyse
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C1), Spanish (B1?), Mandarin (B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Aloyse's study log (ZH, JP, maybe EN, ES, AR ?)

Postby Aloyse » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:44 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Sorry for your disappointments with Chinese, but you do write an entertaining log. :)

I could write on and on about the drawbacks of living in this small town wrt language learning and daily life.

Cèid Donn wrote:my cats were just staring at it as it moseyed across the floor, like "Maybe our human will take care of it."

Once, my parents' new long haired cat got diarrhea. He pointedly got his unwashed smelly butt in our faces until my mom caved in and washed it for him. (all previous cats were short haired so none of us expected this.)

Aloyse wrote:Bought a new smartphone and installed Pleco on it. Considering buying a bundle of options.

Done. Better not lose that registration number now :mrgreen:
4 x
: 32 / 512 Genki plus (kanji)
: 0 / 26 Journal'ísimo (chapters)

cjareck
Blue Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:17 pm

Since I hope to start seriously learning Mandarin in 2020, I've subscribed to your log :)
Aloyse wrote:
Aloyse wrote:Bought a new smartphone and installed Pleco on it. Considering buying a bundle of options.

Done. Better not lose that registration number now :mrgreen:

I'm using only the free version of Pleco since the full version surely is not cheap. Could you please write a short review of it when you will become familiar with using it? I would be very grateful.
1 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language
FSI Hebrew Basic Course
: 40 / 40

Avigdor Kahalani, עז 77 (Heigths of Courage)
: 18 / 200

DLI MSA Basic Course
: 11 / 140
Polish course Arabic for beginners
: 3 / 40

Aloyse
Yellow Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C1), Spanish (B1?), Mandarin (B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Aloyse » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:39 pm

cjareck wrote: Since I hope to start seriously learning Mandarin in 2020, I've subscribed to your log :)

I'm not exactly a "serious" Mandarin learner ;) Started 10 years ago (there were some interruptions) but my reading barely exceeds B1 level and my speaking lags behind somewhere between A1 and A2. The one thing I'm proud of is that my pronunciation is not too bad (when reading aloud).

cjareck wrote: I'm using only the free version of Pleco since the full version surely is not cheap.

They don't really have a "full" version. I bought the "professional" bundle (60USD) and two additional Chinese/French dictionnaries (10 USD each). There are other add-ons that you can buy separately (extra dictionaries, ebooks, extra audio files etc). More details here: https://store.pleco.com/products.php

cjareck wrote: Could you please write a short review of it when you will become familiar with using it? I would be very grateful.

There are surely bunches of reviews around the internet. Currently what I like the most is the Xiandai Hanyu Guifan Cidian (Chinese/Chinese dictionary). Bought alone it's 30USD. The bundle is much more value for money.
I'll probably make use of the stroke order animations when/if I get around to learning to write more characters.
(I think the free version only has these animation for a limited number of characters).

By the way, the day after I bought these Pleco options, I found out that my new Samsung smartphone contains a dictionary application and you can download bunches of dictionaries for it (apparently Samsung has licenced them for their customers), including Chinese/English and English/Chinese Ofxord dictionaries. (I also downloaded Obunsha Japanese/English and English/Japanese dictionaries, and a few Collins dictionaries for English/Spanish/French translation).
I don't regret buying the Pleco bundle though. I tend to consider that after 10 years, it has become a lifelong hobby. And I have spent way more than 80USD on Chinese books.

===

Aloyse wrote:Restore routines.

(mostly passive) Routines restored (except the Spanish cards but this one was never very solid).

No Chinese classes tomorrow (non-Chinese Saturday). I'll try to find a Chinese movie to watch.
1 x
: 32 / 512 Genki plus (kanji)
: 0 / 26 Journal'ísimo (chapters)

Return to “Language logs”