Reading French

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
ロータス
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (HSK 2/TOCFL 1), Korean (Beg)

Reading French

Postby ロータス » Tue May 14, 2019 8:24 pm

Français
2019.3 ->

Reading:
Le Français par la « méthode nature »
Assimil NFWE

Goals for 2019:
  • Get to Chapitre 25 of Le Français par la « méthode nature »
  • Finish Assimil NFWE
  • Read a book/graded reader
  • Take the Dialang French Reading test

Where is ZH/KR:
  • Tired of failing in harder languages and want to see what success feels like so after checking out other languages, I picked FR to start in
  • 100% going back to KR, 75% going back to ZH

Quick Links:

French Stuff:

Beginner

Adv Beginner

Intermediate
Last edited by ロータス on Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 am, edited 6 times in total.
5 x
Reading in one language | Learn by Reading
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

ロータス
Blue Belt

Re: Reading French

Postby ロータス » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

13 May 19
Chapitre 1 of Le Français par la « méthode nature » + les exercices

14 May 19
Chapitre 2 of Le Français par la « méthode nature » + les exercices
Played on Lingodeer French
Listened to Lesson 1 of Assimil NFWE

Notes:
  • Not ready for Assimil NFWE just yet. Will keep listening to the first lesson and actually start it after Ch5 of Le Français.
  • Coffee Break French seems good but really would need the pdfs for me to get anything out of it. I have never stuck with only-audio material because I really need to be able to see what I'm hearing or else I just can't focus. But 100$ for all 4 seasons...
1 x
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : ~ B1

Postby StringerBell » Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 pm

I checked youtube to see if there was some audio to be found for Le Français par la « méthode nature » (since I found something on YT for Italian version of that series), but alas I couldn't find it. However, I did come across this for Beginner French learners, which seems like it could be useful, so I wanted to post it here in case you don't already know about it (or haven't written it off):

How did you decide on French as opposed to one of the other romance languages?

p.s. There's an addendum on my reply to you in my log, I forgot to add it originally.
3 x
Polish goal: 1,850 hours : 1401 / 1850

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Wed May 15, 2019 9:47 pm

15 May 19
Chapitre 3 of Le Français par la « méthode nature » + les exercices
Took notes on Lesson 1 of Assimil NFWE
Listened to France Culture for 2+ hours

Notes:
  • I finished La Français before lunch so started reading and taking notes on Lesson 1 today. Not too bad. Really making use of the pronunciation help. Noticing how the 'to be' word changes for each pronoun. First time seeing 'sommes' and 'êtes'.
  • Wow, I see typing in French is going to be difficult. After adding the French keyboard to my laptop, I couldn't see how to make the 'ê' so just googled the word. Will need to check out all the shortcuts later. I already knew the French keyboard changed some of the letters around but didn't know they changed even the number's row xD
2 x
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 pm

StringerBell wrote:I checked youtube to see if there was some audio to be found for Le Français par la « méthode nature » (since I found something on YT for Italian version of that series), but alas I couldn't find it. However, I did come across this for Beginner French learners, which seems like it could be useful, so I wanted to post it here in case you don't already know about it (or haven't written it off):

How did you decide on French as opposed to one of the other romance languages?

p.s. There's an addendum on my reply to you in my log, I forgot to add it originally.

Thank you for the link. Looks very useful for when I'm done with Assimil NFWE.

Hmm, in the beginning, I only started thinking about learning a romance language because I was deciding on which country I was going to try and immigrate to. I think the order went Italy -> Spain -> Germany -> Netherlands. For Italian, I can't even remember if I started on this language or if the unemployment rate scared me away before I could start. For Spanish, I tried it even though I had negative feelings towards the language from my experiences with Spanish speakers here in the US and I'm glad I gave it a chance. If Spain's economy was better, I think I would have stuck with Spanish (Spain's version). Another negative for Spanish for me was the multiple cultures in one language or the different versions of Spanish. Since my main goal is reading, I just want to learn the languages and jump in to a book and not have to worry about which 'version' of Spanish the book is written in. (I know French also has it multiple versions such as the ones used in Canada and Switzerland but most of the media in French seems to come from France so less confusion) I did enjoy Gramática de uso del Español book and VideoEle's videos.

Next was German and I knew from the beginning that this felt more 'forced learning' than 'pleasure learning'. I did not like the sound of German and had only heard negative things about learning the cases but Germany seemed like my only hope of immigrating to Europe so I started learning. That didn't last long. Once I realized that I could never see myself speaking German and knowing that you 100% need B2 German to live and work there, I dropped it. Around this time I think I saw on reddit a post of someone (an American) immigrating to the Netherlands through a treaty deal between the USA and Netherlands so that got me researching about that. Once I saw that I would be able to also use the deal one day and the options the Netherlands offered, it was easy to drop German for Dutch. But now I'm in the awkward place of "Do I really need to learn Dutch to work in the Netherlands?" and compared to Germany, the answer is more No than Yes. But I don't want a tourist forever so once I'm closer to being ready to be able to make the move, I will start learning Dutch.

BUT, I'm years off from being ready to immigrate and want to read in another language NOW so back to the drawing board. ZH and KR were taking too long so I looked at the easiest languages for English speakers again. From looking at the FSI list and looking over some logs on here, it came down to Spanish and French. After messaging some users on here about these two languages and looking at the type of media coming out in each language, I picked French. French seems to have more darker and psychological stuff than Spanish and those are my pleasure so "Bonjour Français."

So far, I am enjoying French. Working through and writing out the exercises for Le Français is something I look forward to each day and even though the pronunciation is very different from English, I don't hate hearing it and am slowing getting use to it. Since Le Français doesn't have audio, I'm hoping Assimil will fix my bad habit of reading French in English sounds. I know about FSI Phonology and have listened to the first audio file but I can not do that for 30 minutes each day x.x At least not now when I could drop this language tomorrow. Want to keep the fun going as long as I can :3

[EDIT: hmm this looks like information that should be in the first post but I like my neat and to-the-point layout so will just add a link to here xD]
6 x
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

Ser
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8737

Postby Ser » Wed May 15, 2019 10:44 pm

ロータス wrote:Wow, I see typing in French is going to be difficult. After adding the French keyboard to my laptop, I couldn't see how to make the 'ê' so just googled the word. Will need to check out all the shortcuts later. I already knew the French keyboard changed some of the letters around but didn't know they changed even the number's row xD

Getting used to an official French keyboard layout is the best approach, but hey, if you're on Linux you can type French with minimal hassle by using the "English (US, intl., with dead keys)" keyboard layout instead. It's basically the US English keyboard on steroids. (EDIT: Just read that you do intend to move to France or such, in which case I say nevermind.)

I hope you enjoy your experience acquiring French, advancing in leaps and bounds. :D I've definitely had a much easier time with French than Mandarin myself... If I recall correctly, La Méthode Nature comes with an IPA transcription, so that seems like a good choice.

Also, I had never noticed that you were only studying Korean and Mandarin while having a Japanese username.
2 x
ἐν ὀλιγίστοις κεῖται τὸ εὐδαιμόνως βιῶσαι
'To need little is to live blissfully.' (Marcus Aurelius)

Morgana
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n); sv (int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9665

Postby Morgana » Wed May 15, 2019 11:22 pm

ロータス wrote:
StringerBell wrote:How did you decide on French as opposed to one of the other romance languages

Hmm, in the beginning, I only started thinking about learning a romance language because ...

So, I enjoyed reading this post because I like seeing the behind-the-scenes thinking that goes on, but also because I have a very similar evaluation process and can have some similar motivations or aims when looking for a language (minus the desire to migrate... that ship has sailed). It is interesting to read someone else's selection process.

I, too, thought French would be a good choice (vs. other Romance languages) based on the media being produced. I think it will be rewarding and relatively quickly at that vs. your other pursuits! Bonne chance or whatever haha
1 x

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 am

Ser wrote:Getting used to an official French keyboard layout is the best approach, but hey, if you're on Linux you can type French with minimal hassle by using the "English (US, intl., with dead keys)" keyboard layout instead. It's basically the US English keyboard on steroids. (EDIT: Just read that you do intend to move to France or such, in which case I say nevermind.)

I hope you enjoy your experience acquiring French, advancing in leaps and bounds. :D I've definitely had a much easier time with French than Mandarin myself... If I recall correctly, La Méthode Nature comes with an IPA transcription, so that seems like a good choice.

Also, I had never noticed that you were only studying Korean and Mandarin while having a Japanese username.

Using the French keyboard is so much easier on my phone. Just have to long press a letter and get all the symbols. On Mac, still confused on how to get the 'e' to get a '^' over it @.@ I can see the '^' when you press Alt+Ctrl on this layout then press 'e' but when I do it on my FR keyboard nothing happens.

[EDIT: LOL nvm. Right after I posted this, I looked again at the layout and saw the '^' symbol next to the 'p'. Pressed that and then e = ê! Mystery solved.]

Still iffy if want to bother with learning IPA, never used or seen it before so not sure if worth it or not. Is it as simple as going to a website to hear the French to IPA sounds, hmm...

Japanese came first and enjoy the names you can make with just hiragana/katakana. Still miss hearing JP but I seem to have out grew JP media.
0 x
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

ロータス
Blue Belt

Postby ロータス » Thu May 16, 2019 11:00 pm

16 May 19
Chapitre 4 of Le Français par la « méthode nature » + les exercices
Listened to Lesson 1 of Assimil NFWE

Notes:
  • Really busy today and Ch4 was very long for some reason but was able to finish it. Will reread tomorrow before starting Ch5
  • Ch4 introduced a lot such as son/sa/sas, que, adjectives and n'a/n'est/ne/n'...que.
  • Starting to skip Exercise B
  • Found a French Youtuber who seems interesting
0 x
步伐多慢无关紧要,只要你坚持不懈。
~Confucius

StringerBell
Blue Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian: ~ C1 reading/listening and ? speaking
Polish : ~ B1