Expug's 2018 Log - Sustainable Dabbling

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Re: Expug's 2018 Log - Sustainable Dabbling

Postby Axon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:58 am

Expugnator wrote:ZH 我必须先去超市然后才回家。有些小吃要买。巴西的小吃很好吃。我不太喜欢油炸食品,但是我刚才发现有一个不需要煎炸的小吃品牌。我是今天早上带孩子们去幼儿园的时候发现的。我正在红绿灯处等候,有一个女士给我一本宣传单张。所以呢,我下班以后才要去超市看一看。

Sedikit bahasa Indonesia pun tiada! Aku akan gunakan bahasa ini untuk membuatmu belajar lebih keras :D .

Aku tanya kepada seorang native speaker untuk mengoreksikan entrymu. Dia bilang bahwa tidak ada banyak yang salah, tapi entrynya dilihat seperti sebuah kelompok kalimat tanpa hubungan. Susah untuk paham artinya umum.

Ini yang dia menulis:

今天早上在带孩子们去幼儿园的路上等红绿灯时, 一位女士给了我一张非油炸食品的小吃宣传单. 我原本打算买一些巴西小吃, 但是巴西小吃大多都是油炸食品, 我不太喜欢油炸食品, 所以我打算下班回家时先去这家小吃店看看, 买一些小吃再回家.

"必须" berkonotasi terlalu serius. "Kalau aku tidak pergi ke supermarket, aku tidak bisa kembali ke rumahku" misalnya.

"一本" digunakan untuk banyak halaman yang dijlid. "一张" lebih bagus untuk satu halaman saja.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:25 pm

谢谢你! 我承认我的印尼语很差,你写的我一个词都听不懂。不过我很想学习印尼语,希望下次我还设法用印尼语回答你!(还有,我当然用谷歌翻译了,为了看清楚你的写。你的建议都很棒)!

--------------------------------------
Some weekends go by so fast that they could be called 'the weekend that never was'. At others the time seems to freeze unexpectedly, as weekends are supposed to be short with Monday at a blink. Last weekend looked like it would never end. I don't know why, because I had the usual activities plus spent a good deal of time with the kids as my wife went shopping on Sunday morning. I think much of this feeling has to do with not having filler tasks. I caught up with reading the forum and so I worked on every sentence app I had at my disposal, to the extent that I was bored and did one level on HelloChinese (which is way too easy for me now, should I say). I did the full set of Clozemaster on both Saturday and Sunday. The text input final rounds, that were a struggle, now seem a breeze. I even dared doing text input for Georgian and Estonian for the first time. Plus some Duolingo Russian and Hebrew (still reviewing, reaching level 2 on the first levels before moving on) and the always useful Speakly.me for Estonian, that starts to give me the feeling I can actually speak the language. I think the joint factors of being alone with the kids and thus being able to use the hidden moments, the extremely low activity on any groups (probably an effect of starting holidays for most people) and the forum being read allowed me for more than enough time to practice sentences on my apps. I even finished the book I was reading as non-fiction and started a new one, this time in Italian again (btw, my speed has improved since last time I read non-fiction in Italian). What I still find difficult is engaging on prolonged reading sessions, because I tend to alternate study sessions with playing with the toddlers and then watching them again. Watching anything is virtually impossible.

My source for free Italian audiobooks is quite limited. I'll start buying them, individually, not through Audible. I have so much lined up for reading in Italian, good stuff even, but I have plenty of time for listening to audiobooks in Italian and not for reading in the language. Adding up more pages to my daily reading would make me feel more tired. while listening to audiobooks while walking is entertaining.

When I think about the struggle it was for writing the short paragraphs in my TLS last Friday, I then realize it's only seven languages covered, as I wrote nothing in Georgian, German, Russian, Hebrew, Indonesian or Modern Greek this time. I begin to despair. It was supposed to be easier at this stage (whatever stage I am in each TL, as I already aim for a lower level in the weaker languages and yet I struggle). I wonder why it is so hard to activate my TLs. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, maybe I should practice more. It seems that just like with virtually any other aspect, I've chosen the path of mediocrity for my language learning, especially for output. I aim for good enough and get one, two levels bellow. Had I aimed for the best, I could have reached a sound level by now, but I tend cirmcunvent any bolder efforts. It's true that I could get around as a tourist in any of the languages I've been studied for over two years now (all but Indonesian and Hebrew, for that matter), but what is the point? I really don't know where all those efforts are leading to. I can't complain as becoming a language teacher has turned from a hobby into a sound extra income, a path of no return, and I want to reach higher levels in some languages so I can teach them eventually, but the destination seems unattainable. The overall efforts although not in vain are probably not so optimally directed.

If you ever dream about learning a language from the Americas and wants to start with the most thriving one, Guarani is a strong candidate. The language is becoming more and more official and cultivated. An official grammar has just been released and Paraguay is officially and de facto a bilingual country. I am a member of a Whatsapp group with plenty of supportive native speakers who also share learning materials. Going to Paraguay and speaking Guarani there is a feasible possibility which would definitely surprise the people there who'd expect portuñol from a Brazilian.

The day was productive for audiobooks. I found volume 5 for A series of unfortunate events in Russian, which I was afraid wouldn't exist. I also decided to follow Xmmm's recommendation and try Leonardo Sciascia's A ciascuno il suo. Older novels, for a change. Though I still aim at listening to stuff as recent as possible.

Hebrewpod101 keeps introducing vocabulary at a crazy rhythm. The dialogues have several new words per line. I'm still better off with the Routledge Course.

Today I avoided the risk and did Hebrew on the browser, not worrying about the lack of TTS, as I'm supposed to work overtime.

I'm having trouble with the France Inter app. Ok, it keeps track of where I stopped for each episode, but in order to reach the episode I was hearing last I have to browse through the archives everytime the phone shuts down the app. It happens several times a day.

IT Allora il giorno di studi è quasi trascorso e ho detto troppo, più dello necessario e mi sono dimenticato di dirlo nelle lingue che sto imparando. Ho scritto tutto in inglese come di solito.

FR J'ai fallu oublier: j'ai obtenu des corrections et des commentaires très intéressants et très utiles sur mes paragraphes en norvégien et en chinois que j'ai postés sur italki. Un mec chinois m'a même demandé de parler davantage sur les produits de grignotage brésiliens! Eh bien, je vais voir ce que je peux faire.

ZH 巴西很好吃 - 我记不清楚,把关于巴西好吃的一个文字写了没有。无论如何,我打算试一试。我最喜欢本地小吃们就是:

一。Coxinha。 这个小吃的字面翻译是小鸡大腿, 但是里面没有鸡骨头,只有鸡肉。它是一种非常美味的油炸屁股,形状像一滴水。
二。Pão de queijo。翻译是奶酪面包,事实上是用木薯的做的。
三。Brigadeiro。一种小巧的圆形巧克力卷,由浓缩的温和黄油制成。
四。Acarajé。炸黑眼豆豌豆卷,里面装满了虾仁奶油。

NO I dag har jeg skrevet en kort tekst i kinesisk om de "snacks" - matbit som finnes i Brasil. Jeg innrømmer at jeg prøvde å skrive om de første to snacks direkt på kinesisk, men de siste to skrev jeg bare på engelsk og brukte den G-oversetteren. Det er særlig vanskelig å prøve å beskrive noe som finnes bare i din egen kultur på et fremmed språk, for ikke å nevne å oversette det. De brasilianske snacks jeg skrev om fikk ikke kinesiske navn ennå, derfor brukte jeg navnene deres på portugisisk i artikkelen min.

KA ახლა კი შევამჩიე, რომ აქამდე მხოლოდ ამავე ენებზე დავწერე, რომ გასულ პარასკევს უკვე დამიწერია. აჯობებს, რომ სხვა ენებზე დავწერო, მაგალითად, ქართულად! თითქმის შვიდი საათია და ჯერ სამსახურში ვარ. ბევრი მაქვს გასაკეთებლად, მაგრამ ჩემი დავალებები მზად არ არის: უნდა ველოდო, სანამ ჩემი კოლეგები დაამთვროს მათი საქმე. ამასობაში, შევეცდებ ცოტა დავწერო და შევისწავლო. ერთი სული მაქვს, ისევე არ მშივრებს, სანამ სამსახური არ დასრულდება.

RU Похоже, у Italki есть ограничение на количество записей в записной книжке в день: два, кажется. Какое разочарование! Так как, хватит нам сегодня. Я буду еще мало расбираться с приложения для изучения фраз, а потом пошел к дому! Как я сегодня устал.
3 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:35 pm

I don't know if you're looking for another app suggestion but I really like Castbox for managing my podcasts. I find it super fast to open and restart listening right where I was. All the France Inter stuff is there of course.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:11 pm

Ani wrote:I don't know if you're looking for another app suggestion but I really like Castbox for managing my podcasts. I find it super fast to open and restart listening right where I was. All the France Inter stuff is there of course.

Merci Ani, j'ai téléchargé ça hier et tout marche bien pour le moment!

====================================
Three hours of overtime yesterday and that was probably the day I studied the longest ever. I have some sleep deprivation, woke up with a headache but I hope it will get better by noon. I gave Portuguese for foreigners classes in the morning, so that means much less study time today. Moreover, I might not stay up that late but I'm going to have a lot to do, so even less study time. I only hope I can make it to my ordinary schedule.

Italki now really allows only 2 notebook entries per day. In order to be premium, I'm supposed to merely buy 10$ in credits. I don't have any use for them atm, so these will have to wait. I'll be off for over a week so I won't have any usage for those credits that soon.

I should trust myself better when it comes to listening to Georgian. I could understand the entire announcement from the dubbing studio after the series and the subtitles were over.

Le tube du jour:

Still finding Hebrewpod lessons heavy on vocabulary, though at least I get to finally understand the actual pronounciation of some nouns, like ברכבת (rakevet) and עוף (of).
3 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:19 am

Have you ever written why all the languages you learn interest you? Could you link to the post if there is one?
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:55 am

Thanks for the Castbox recommendation, Ani! I used to like BeyondPod but they ruined the interface a few years ago and I haven't found a decent alternative.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:11 pm

eido wrote:Have you ever written why all the languages you learn interest you? Could you link to the post if there is one?

Good question! I might have written that either in a previous log or in a specific topic, but I can't remember now. Besides, I've added new languages ever since. Most of the possible answers are either Because. and Why not?, but there's always more to it. So here we go again:

I'll consider English and Spanish as mandatory and no actual choices, and I'll start from the next:

French Not only because of the stereotypical portion of the French culture that gains the world. Not only for latinity affinity. I really enjoy colloquial French and how it gets rid of the stereotypes about France as well as about prescriptive grammar for Brazilians who think they speak their own native language "wrong". Also, access to culture, media and resources for learning other languages.

Georgian A Christian island in a Muslim region, linguistically unique, the food, the mountains, the architecture, the alphabet.

Papiamento Easy, accessible, Portuguese-based creole. Travel opportunities. Close to home.

Mandarin Access to an important part of the world. culture, travel. Eventually even business and job opportunities, if I ever get to a high level. The writing doesn't fascinate me that much and I see it just as another obstacle.

German Access to great resources for other languages. Travelling, media and literature.

Norwegian The novel that got me interested into languages is Sofies Verden, hence Norwegian. My favorite foreign language. I dream of going there. I absolutely love its sound. I want to learn it to a proficient level even if it takes 10 years more .

Russian Necessary for accessing minority ex-USSR languages' resources. My door to the Slavic world, but not my favorite (these would be Czech and BCMS). Remembering endings on top of the orthography is an herculean task.

Estonian Estonia's innovative character. My first finno-ugric, not diglossic as Finnish, which made it much less confusing in the beginning.

Italian A natural cousin. Travelling, literature.

Modern Greek I always start from the modern counterparts. The ability of seeing so many connections to daily usage Portuguese words. A place I'd love to visit.

Hebrew I'm linguistically fascinated by the entire family, its triliteral roots and abjads. Modern Hebrew seemed more accessible for its Indo-european flavor and the good deal of resources.

Indonesian A demographic giant with a bonus on Malay, accessible pronunciation and spelling. Reputed as easy but I'd never put it on a Cat I language, after all there's very little vocabulary discount.

Well, that's it. Hope I havent' forgotten any.
==============================

Getting used to the new routine - actually it's like my previous routine, with classes in the morning. I have to drive a good deal after leaving the girls at the kindergarten, further than my own home. This means no extra time anymore for studying, but from yesterday I could notice that current time is more than enough. I keep thinking about adding a new slot for reviewing grammar in languages such as Estonian, Spanish and Georgian or doing more intensive work on Hebrew and Indonesian, but I had better wait till things fall into place.

It's my second Dutch-speaking student. I don't have any knowledge of Dutch and it's low-priority for me within its group, but besides speaking Papiamento now I'm giving classes to a native Dutch speaker. I could at least explain the difference between onde x aonde by simply pointing to the equivalents in Dutch, and by doing so I put him ahead of hundreds of millions of native speakers when it comes to this specific point in the standard, prescriptive, formal written language. Other than that, I hope I can make some extra bucks to help finance this expensive hobby of buying audiobooks in euros while being paid in reais. I also need to buy too HDDs, I want to install the system on an SSD driver and keep the files on a new, larger unit. I'm almost running out of episodes for watching in my series and I have to prepare some classes as well.

The extra driving means more time for the Argentinian podcast. I'm really looking forward to catching up with it and starting something else, even if Spanish doesn't have a thriving audiobook industry yet - at least not the contemporary novels I'm looking forward to read and which I prefer to just read. And I'm not even playing it on my way to the class - there I listen to the radio and perform the dangerous hobby of picking my phone and recording portions from the new songs, while standing at the traffic light. I only play it while coming from the student's house to work, but that's still almost twice than the short distance between my daughters' kindergarten and the parking lot. Either way I'm still listening all the way walking from the parking lot to my office, so this accounts for over thirty minutes of native Spanish audio input, which is complemented by the 10-pages read of contemporary novel (which I regret not reading intensively as there are so many regionalisms in Vargas Llosa's novel.

Finished reading Cinco Esquinas, by Mario Vargas Llosa. My first literature in Spanish. I like it because it's pretty much contemporary. I regret not looking up words, as I mentioned above. Now I'm moving towards some sci-fi, but I plan to read other works by Vargas Llosa, as further back as I find useful for my vocabulary.
5 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:04 pm

I forgot to drop a note here. I'm on holidays at my hometown, and I only get back to regular study in July 30th. I'm trying to get some Clozemaster done.

Now that Duolingo Hindi is out, I'm seriously wanderlusting for Hindi. I read about a good app for learning the script called RBhasa Hindi. I want to purchase the full version but I don't know if I'll buy it on Android or on iOs. Always the same dilemma. With Android I can have it all day long, but on a small screen. On iOs I can use it on my newer tablet. This issue will only be over when I buy an Android tablet to carry along, as I plan to leave the newer iOs one at home and the older iOs one ceased to allow new apps ages ago.

I still couldn't get my HDD and I really regret having sent it for recovery. I will see if I can download my newer episodes for when I come back, as I brought my mobile HDD along.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Time for an update, even though I'm not back at studying yet. Probably on Wednesday, or even Thursday, as I have 4 translations to deliver for a friend.

During the days off, I did mostly Clozemaster. I'm happy with how much it helps maintain my languages and even allows for some activation. Today, specifically, I was too tired even for that. Besides the translation, I'm preparing my computer for an update. I got an SSD unit where I am going to install the system. At my former HDD, the paths to all files seem to have been kept, so even if some files are listed as 0 byte, at least I know such file once existed and I can download it again from the source. For this, I'm going to export Chrome's download list. My bookmarks are already part of the backup. Next step is buying a new standard HDD for storage. The expectations for running my home PC from the SDD unit are high. I want my home computer to be productive so as to allow me to try different activities there, especially preparing material. Having to wait for the computer to load is a source of discouragement as my PC time has plenty of interruption. If my home PC becomes faster than this one here, then the only difference will be the size of the screen, but I think I can deal with it.

Apart from Clozemaster and Speakly.me most of the days, then a few days of Duolingo, I didn't do much. I watched a few episodes from the Arrowverse in Spanish. I cowardly left subtitles on: as I'm going to keep watching them in Georgian and German with Portuguese subs, I didn't want to miss any details from this couple of episodes I watched in Spanish. I read a few pages from non-fiction Italian but not even enough to account for a day of reading.

Today I didn't do any desktop study but I did the listening-only part.

What I learned from this short vacation is that I need to reduce a bit my daily studies. I need a margin. I should be able to perform all my activities, including sentence-app, in 6 hours, which leaves me 3-4 hours for other activities on a normal day, less on a busy day obviously. The way it is now, even if the core learning takes around 6 hours, the remaining Clozemaster seems neverending. I need to cut on input time for some languages, as I can't imagine dropping one language altogether.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:56 pm

So here I am again, after the short winter break. Summer vacation is coming to an end at the Northern Hemisphere as well, so people are back to updating their logs.

Once again I'm trying to do things slightly different. Trying to fix what has been overly irrational about my studies. Once in a while I run through these periods where I realize I'm doing two things at once and I'm not paying attention enough to the material I'm studying, thus making my learning much less effective. This is one such moment. I was doing Clozemaster while watching most of my TV series and with this I was losing the chance to actually improve in understanding and conversing in my TLs. I was doing this out of the urge for getting more done at the end of the day, especially since doing all the Clozemaster rounds for 17 languages plus two other apps has proved more tiresome than the entire day of reading, listening, watching and doing grammar. Even if sentence-study complements text-input and helps with activation, I should try and place it appropriately in my routine, because it's also very tiresome. I might try something different, like interrupting for a while and doing CZM for 3, 4 languages so as to avoid doing everything in a row at the end of the day. I just can't let two resources collide the way I have been doing, repeating my own mistakes. Also because of stress.

I've been adding up unnecessary stress as I struggle to finish the remaining 20% of my daily studies on time. It's not that I'm doing too much for my brain to take it, it's a matter of time. Following a routine is actually less tiresome than browsing the web randomly all day long, but when I start to rush and finish activity that are all but a product of a deliberate wish for self-development, something is wrong.

I should acknowledge that I've reached the limit of reasonable, even if I'm dying to add new languages. I actually need to do a bit less, or at least find an amount that will be fine for whatever day, which would be probably allowing for the entire schedule to only take 80% of the time available, leaving 20% as a safe margin for allowing me to behaving more humanly and reducing the stress. I'm pretty sure this is doable, as I still have gains in productivity to take into account, thanks to removing two intensive-study slots and to having it easier now with reading in almost all of my TLs I already do L-R at. Mentally I am ok as I'm managing to write in my TLs on top of all that, it's mostly a time management issue, where like in any other planning that should be a margin for the unexpected. So I shouldn't worry that this or that day I'll be watching the dubbed series in German 2 hours later than usual because my routine will account for this 2-hour flexibility.

These are my first thoughts. Let's see how things will come up.

Now for today's activities. Now bow-wave effect seems to be taking place. Just the good feeling of putting my brain to exercise again. I managed to pay more attention at the Estonian soap-opera. L-R Mandarin did seem a bit easier and I caught myself understanding more from the audio. Norwegian L-R is almost transparent but I got distracted while watching the series. I think part of this has to do with the different accents I have to tune in and out for each character. I might get unconsciously demotivated even if my listening comprehesion actually got better.

Started watching a dubbed film in French, a self-indugement. It's called The Zero Theorem and I don't think I'd be watching it for fun, out of language learning anyway, as I have so many unwatcheds that are more popular

Ok maybe there is some bow-wave effect for Indonesian. I found today's dialogue easier to understand, at least in terms of syntax.

So, first day trying to take it a bit more slowly. Can't say it was a success, but I also spent some time procrastinating. I finished Routledge Hebrew only ten minutes before the time was over, and I left reading in Spanish behind (not to mention all of the Clozemaster). And yet I had 1 hour of headstart in the morning. I'll be paying attention the following days before I decide where to cut on time. For example, Routledge Hebrew took almost an hour because at first I had trouble downloading the video from my workaround, and then it was a rather long lesson with many words to look up in the examples and exercises (they explained the difference of the verbs used for speak, tell, say).
2 x

Return to “Language logs”