Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Fitness anyone?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Ice Blue wrote:Reading between work sets, you're really dedicated!

For me it's the other way around. On a good day, I take a micropause between reading sessions (typically each 15 minutes). E.g. push-ups and squats. Or something from my catalogue of martial arts exercises. 8-)

I also take daily walks while listening to audiobooks.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:27 am

I walk for an hour while listening to podcasts about five times a week.

If I want to get fitter and improve languages faster, I need to walk more!

That swimp3 thing sounded interesting but then I remembered that I don’t do enough laps to make it worthwhile. I kind of enjoy the meditative aspect of swimming anyway.

Ironmike, have you considered just counting swimming minutes rather than laps?
1 x

jacquemarie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 28#p177252

Postby jacquemarie » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 am

As my comprehension level of French is currently low, I like to listen to French music as I work out to familiarise myself with the sounds of the language and see how many words i can pick out.
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 am

I’m in the gym three days a week normally, and if I have the time another two days at the athletics track (although seldom do I have the time anymore thanks to a rather... annoyingly inconvenient university timetable).

I wouldn’t say it interferes with my language study unless I try to work after I go to the gym, because my body is normally so tired I have to sleep :lol: . So most of my language work (and indeed work for my Masters) is done before I train. Doesn’t mean I can’t listen to music in my target languages though, and I often do.

I would like to study between work sets, but I normally need to focus when I’m in the gym as not to annoy other users (don’t want some angry guy having a go at me because I’m reading between sets and he desperately needs the squat rack...)

There was quite an interesting intersection of the two a few years back though, when I went to a gym in Amsterdam and bought a day pass speaking only Dutch despite the fact I’d never really spoken Dutch to anyone before beyond a lady in a bakery (who assumed I was a native German speaker, not a native English speaker). Once I’d got past the front desk though, I realised I didn’t know any gym terms in Dutch so hoped the equipment I wanted to use was free so I wouldn’t have to ask anyone questions :lol:
3 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Chmury
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Castellano (Adv)
German (Int)
Dutch (Int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1516

Postby Chmury » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:40 am

If I don't work out and stay active my mood takes a huge dive, and that's the main reason for why I stay active; to maintain a balanced and healthy mind. I climb, I cycle, and I go to the gym, but I only incorporate language learning when I'm at the gym, as there it's easy to wear headphones and listen to podcasts and music in whichever target language I feel like that day. Today I listened to an hour and a half of Futuro Abierto, and even though I'm not concentrating 100% of the time on what's being said, it's probably even less than 50%, but still, it's always playing and I can jump in and out of the discussion while I do my routine and I get 90 minutes of passive and active listening practice while I do it. Awesome!

But even post workout or activity, being active definitely has a lasting beneficial effect on my language studies as as I mentioned, it gives me a more calm and stable state of mind, and I always end up leaving with more energy than I came with and a mental clarity that you only get after doing something strenuous. Hard physical work just has the ability to blow away all the mental cobwebs and all the irrational and inconsequential thoughts and leave only what's important and what's present in focus. So even though I may spend 10 to 20 hours a week on being active, it without a doubt improves my mindset, my emotions, and my ability to concentrate, which only improves the quality of my studies when I finally do get around to my languages.
3 x
Hindernisse und Schwierigkeiten sind Stufen, auf denen wir in die Höhe steigen

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Adrianslont wrote:Ironmike, have you considered just counting swimming minutes rather than laps?

Oh, sure, and that's what I have to do when I'm swimming open water or on tethers at a hotel pool. But when I have a specific set that I'm doing I have to concentrate on which lap I'm on.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:19 pm

I love watching Mexican telenovelas when I jog on my treadmill. It is great! Just turn one on and go. It is like automatic language acquisition and it makes a 90 minute run feel like nothing! For me the secret is to take it easy. I don't run too hard during the week. That lets me "relax" when I'm exercising and take in the novela. Back when I was lifting weights I'd usually read an Assimil lesson between sets. That was pretty effective too.
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:25 pm

lavengro wrote:Language studying does not get in the way of my fitness. Pizza gets in the way of my fitness.

For me it is the French cheese and wine. :)

I work out now and then, on and off. After the festive season I found that I had gained a few kilos/pounds more than what is good for me, so since 2 January I go running four-five times a week. I don't think it gets in the way of my studying, because those 45-60 minutes I dedicate to running would most likely be spent on the couch watching TV. There are plenty of other things getting in the way of my language studying though, work and my kids being the main culprits.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:03 pm

I guess if anyone here wants a 25% improvement in walking speed*, s/he should learn Welsh.

*math not checked by math-capable person
13 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:17 pm

:geek: Nerd Alert, I repeat, Nerd Alert .....

Can't help being irritated by the sign using 'a' in front of the vowel sound in '8'.

End of Alert
(Apologies for my involuntary grammar reflex condition, all suggestions for treatment gratefully received)
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”