Is this picture corresponds to the verb "emit"

General discussion about learning languages
sg2019
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N), French, English

Is this picture corresponds to the verb "emit"

Postby sg2019 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm

The word emit is clearly more abstract than concrete. It has an imageability rating of 3.22 out of 5.
If you do not know the word emit, then you read this subtitle (see below), surely you might grasp what emit means. My inquiry is, would the picture of the sun and the emitted light facilitates learning its meaning? I.e. could the picture be contributing to learning the word emit to an extent that it is worthy of considering as a visual referent for the verb emit, please?

This is meant for research purposes. You answer is very appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: Is this picture corresponds to the verb "emit"

Postby Querneus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:54 pm

If you include the sentence, maybe; if you don't include the sentence, then no. "Emit" is a quite abstract word, as you say.

A picture of a radio station emitting signals (the signals having been drawn in a cartoonish wave-like way) would be a bit better, in my opinion, but even this would not be that good either.
4 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:00 pm

I think 'emit' is a fairly concrete word. The image you provided is a bit too complicated to convey a single meaning. And despite the caption, it does not really 'provide an understanding of how". I think the simpler, the better. Something like this that portrays emit, transmit and absorb in a very simple image.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/physics/images/radiation-names.svg
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

sg2019
White Belt

Postby sg2019 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:05 pm

Thank you both for your reply :D . I only have to analyse the visuals in a video to see how much it contributes to incidental learning of meaning of words. Reading your responses, I think I should not consider such visuals as visual referents for "emit"?
0 x

avalon
White Belt
Languages: English (native)
Latin (advanced)
Modern Greek (A1)

Dormant:
Czech (certified ILR 3)
German (certified ILR 3)
French (certified ILR 2+)

Postby avalon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:13 pm

I got all excited thinking this was a Latin question! Alas.

(emit: third person singular, present active indicative of the verb emo, emere, emi, emptus, to buy)
2 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:13 pm

You would want to chose images that are representatives of the contexts wherein the word is used. We do not see the sun as "emiting" light in the context of a beatiful morning, but in the context of physics and astronomy. If you do a image search for "emits" you'll get some perhaps more direct depictions.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:40 pm

That's a sunset/sunrise or simply the sun. You could also evoke shine/shining or even glare.

People and animals emit heat and body fluids.Maybe you need a thermal image of a guy standing behind a dumpster.
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:01 pm

I do the best at getting words from pictures when they're in a context, like a comic book or illustrated children's book.

It's harder to guess a word from just a single picture. For example, years before I started to study German seriously, I briefly tried out Rosetta Stone, which uses pictures with no explanation. They taught two different words in German that mean "to run", „laufen“ and „rennen“. If anyone is interested in the difference, I found a good article here. But I digress.

One of the pictures (I think it was „laufen“) had a picture of a person running, and the other, „rennen“ had a picture of a horse running. I understandably drew the false conclusion that people „laufen“ and animals „rennen“ because although both pictures showed running, there was additional information that obscured the intention.

That said, if I saw that picture you posted and it said "By understanding how light is XXXXed by the sun" and I didn't know what XXXXed meant but knew all of the other words, my guesses would be:
  • Give off
  • Radiate
  • Send in all directions
  • Send in lines
  • Shines directly at the camera
  • Make into astar or asterisk shape
  • etc
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

sg2019
White Belt

Postby sg2019 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:15 pm

白田龍 wrote:You would want to chose images that are representatives of the contexts wherein the word is used. We do not see the sun as "emiting" light in the context of a beatiful morning, but in the context of physics and astronomy. If you do a image search for "emits" you'll get some perhaps more direct depictions.

What about this image, for instance?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

sg2019
White Belt

Postby sg2019 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:16 pm

tommus wrote:I think 'emit' is a fairly concrete word. The image you provided is a bit too complicated to convey a single meaning. And despite the caption, it does not really 'provide an understanding of how". I think the simpler, the better. Something like this that portrays emit, transmit and absorb in a very simple image.

https://www.mathsisfun.com/physics/images/radiation-names.svg

What about this image, for instance?
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”