tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Danish news... presented in Dutch!

Postby tarvos » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:56 am

Iversen wrote:Dat was inderdaad heel lekker ... But now we know they can do it, the big question is why they don't do it EVERY time there is an election somewhere...

Because the Netherlands and Denmark apparently have a very good relationship where this kind of thing is normal. I also think it was because one of the presenters on the Danish side spent time in the Netherlands.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:20 am

golyplot wrote:The puns are a bit ruined once you realize that Dutch is "Nederlandsk" in Danish. Actually, it is some variation of "Nederlands" in most languages - English seems to be the exception.
Exception in English, how so? Isn't "Nederlands" rendered as "Netherlands" in English?
0 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:28 am

Speakeasy wrote:Exception in English, how so? Isn't "Nederlands" rendered as "Netherlands" in English?

Nederland = the Netherlands
Nederlands = Dutch
2 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:22 pm

golyplot wrote:The puns are a bit ruined once you realize that Dutch is "Nederlandsk" in Danish. Actually, it is some variation of "Nederlands" in most languages - English seems to be the exception.

I have always heard Nederlands referred to as hollandsk in Danish. That is what my Danish instructor called it, and that is what my Danish version of Google Translate calls it.
0 x
Corrections are always welcome.

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

It can be both - technically nederlandsk is more correct, but hollandsk is statistically more likely to come up as GT is a statistical tool, not a human-based translator.

Technically hollandsk only refers to the subset of Dutch dialects from the area of Holland on which most of the standard language (but not ALL of it!) is based, and would be a good approximation for the standard language - but it excludes those speakers from, say, Brabant, Zeeland or Limburg who do speak Dutch but aren't from Holland or don't speak a Hollandish dialect.

Nederlandsk refers to the whole thing as it refers to the country in its entirety. However, in common parlance, hollandsk is often used as a pars pro toto or to refer to the football team. But even the wiki entry refuses to use hollandsk - it uses nederlandsk, which is actually the correct term as hollandsk technically doesn't cover the entirety of the Dutch language spectrum.

It would be, for example, incorrect to say that most of my family speaks Hollands as pretty much none of them, except for my brother and me, grew up in that area.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:30 pm

The same people in Denmark who call the Netherlands "Holland" also call its language "hollandsk" - and most of them also call the UK "England". I have noticed that Google (including Google) also use the word "hollandsk" in its Danish version, even though a company that is sitting on top of a mountain of informations ought to know better ...
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”