English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Advice on choosing an mp3 player and an ereader

Postby Kraut » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 am

Is this the one?
https://www.amazon.de/Cowon-M2-MP4-Play ... filter-bar

CONTRA:
- The operation is so bad, that you lose all the joy of the great music. Thanks to the resistive touch screen it is really very tedious to click through the menu and the songs! With a resistive touch screen, light pressure is necessary for the screen to recognize it as a touch. This in combination with the small screen leads to the fact that one constantly mistypes what is in the long run insanely exhausting. If you were to run the music in shuffle mode most of the time, it wouldn't be so bad, but I like to pick songs specifically, so I can't do that at all.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:59 am

Speaking of poor user experience I am getting tired of being logged out. You'll need to go into the menu and calibrate the screen by tapping around. The operation seems fine to me.

M2 reviewed in Russian.

If you choose a player with a larger capacitative screen and a smooth Android UI, you'll lose over 60 hours of battery life and you may have to give up other features.
1 x

neumanc
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (native), English, Dutch
Studies: French (advanced), Spanish (false beginner)
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Latin

Postby neumanc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:30 am

If you want to have an e-reader with a big screen and backlight, you might want to consider the Tolino Epos. I don't have one myself (yet), so I can only quote the information given by the seller (https://www.thalia.de/shop/tolino-epos-ebook-reader/show/):

Extra large reading area: Large 7.8" inch eBook reader display; 69% more reading area compared to a 6" reader

Water protection: Optimum protection against water up to 1 metre deep thanks to Water Protection by HZO

smartLight: Integrated reading light with smartLight to adjust the colour temperature according to the time of day

HD display: Non-reflective 300 ppi E Ink Carta, HD display for razor-sharp typography

Ultra-flat and light as a feather: dimensions: 209 x 140 x 8,2 mm, weight: 260 g

Maximum storage space: 8 GB internal memory, 6 GB of which is available for up to 6,000 eBooks

Long battery life: Up to 4 weeks battery life thanks to lithium polymer battery with 1,200 mAh

Easy to recharge: Micro-USB cable pluggable on both sides thanks to easy2connect function

WLAN function: Integrated WLAN and free access at all available Telekom HotSpots (in Germany)

Over 3 million eBooks: Access to more than 3 million eBooks at any time via the integrated eBook Shop

Open system: Supports all popular eBook formats like EPUB, PDF, TXT; with and without Adobe DRM

Tolino cloud: securely store, manage, and synchronize eBooks with your mobile devices

Lending: Compatible with the eBooks of public lending libraries (e.g. Onleihe)

Intelligent additional functions: Reading in landscape format, setting bookmarks, adding markers, translation function, and much more.
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am

aravinda wrote:Ogrim, I remeber reading of your experience of reMarkable in your log and I almost bought one during a promotional offer. I didn’t buy because it doesn’t have have a built in light and also because I saw a review saying that it’s great for note taking but not as good for reading compared to dedicated ereaders. Maybe I'm just being too fastidious. :)

Hashimi wrote:This product is really remarkable!

Thank you Ogrim for sharing this. I've never heard about it before. It looks better than Kindle or any other e-ink tablets.

EDIT: But how long does the battery last?

It is true that the reMarkable is primarily a digital note-taking and sketching device. For me the biggest drawback compared to e.g. Kindle Paperwhite is that you have no in-built popup dictionary or features like the "flashcards" you can generate in Kiindle by highlighting words. That said, the bigger size makes reading pdf files much nicer.

The battery life depends on usage of course, but unless you spend many hours drawing or writing every day, it certainly lasts a day or two. Also, it charges very quickly if you use a good charger.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:59 am

I had a Cowon mp3 player for about 3 years but it's currently in repair :cry: Honestly I only got it to be able to scrobble on last.fm, and because it's an android device. If you don't need these functions you can get a simple Mp3 player much cheaper.

As for e-readers, I love my Onyx. Previously I had a PocketBook, which are very popular in Russia. It can handle pretty much any format, and if you read one book at a time it's probably perfect. But switching between books can be really slow. If I had just 10 mins or so I could waste most of this time on trying to switch to the book I wanted to read :cry: I was kinda relieved when it broke and I had to get something new.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:38 am

neumanc wrote:If you want to have an e-reader with a big screen and backlight, you might want to consider the Tolino Epos.
Thanks, neumanc, this looks promising.

Serpent wrote:As for e-readers, I love my Onyx...
Thanks, Serpent. What's the Onyx model you have? Does it have a front or back light? What/how are the dictionaries available?
Currently they have 5 large touchscreen models with lighting. Looks like they put out (and discontinue) a lot of models in a year.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:44 am

I have an Onyx Cleopatra. They put out new models in groups of three, where one is the flagship, one is basic and the third one in between.
I'm not sure about the difference between front light and back light, but my e-book has it and I'm very satisfied with it. I don't bother to use popup dictionaries but they, well, pop up when I select something.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:49 am

Serpent wrote:I have an Onyx Cleopatra...
I'm not sure about the difference between front light and back light, but my e-book has it and I'm very satisfied with it...
Thanks. I wasn't clear, I just wanted to know if it has some kind of light. Doesn't really matter what's the lighting mechanism. :)
0 x

Carl
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Danish (reading only), Spanish (B2), German (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Postby Carl » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:28 pm

Recently I've been appreciating how useful the GoodReader iOS app is for language learning. I've been using it for reading PDFs and listening to mp3s for a decade or so, back when I got it for an iPod Touch with a 30-pin connector.

It sorts files alphabetically by file name, and it resumes playback on any number of files where you left off. The user can select playing a single file, all the files in a folder, or a selection of files in the folder. It can be set to play a file or files once or to repeat either a single file or to go through the entire folder or a selection of files and then repeat that group of files from the beginning.

The UI indicates whether a file has been played or not by the file's color, so if when I open a folder with 30 Pimsleur lessons, I see which ones I've listened to, so I know which one to play today. I can also mark a file or set of files as unplayed, after playing them.

The UI has an easy-to-use nested hierarchy of folders. (VLC is great in many ways, but I've never figured out how to use the folder system on it on either iOS or Android.) I mostly transfer files from a Mac via USB, but GoodReader has a built-in browser that can download audio directly on the device.

Other helpful features:
* GoodReader supports reading PDFs while listening to audio, so you can do L-R within one app.
* You can use highlighting and many other tools to mark up the PDFs.
* You can use it to store files but then export the files to other apps, to overcome any limitations of GoodReader. (I've started exporting Pimsleur files to PocketCasts, which allows me to rewind 15 seconds using controls on my headphones; the headphones can control moving forward or backward one file at a time in GoodReader but not X seconds.)
* It will open .zip files, so you can download an audiobook in chapters from Librivox or elsewhere as a .zip and open the .zip within GoodReader.

I recently set out to emulate Ryan Smallwood's method of putting FSI course audio on in the background, using GoodReader. Instead of importing the files into Audacity to make one long file, I just put all the files directly into GoodReader. I can play six hours of files in the same folder from start to finish, if I want. Or I can go to any individual file and use it in connection with a lesson, or just repeat it multiple times. (This method doesn't allow me to remove silences to provide continuous audio.)

I paid $5 for GoodReader originally, and I think I paid an additional $5 or $10 for an upgrade when I installed it on a new device once. They're now promoting more features with a subscription version, but I have what I need without the subscription. I hope the pay-once version is still available to new users, but I don't know whether it is.

Limitations of GoodReader:
* No speed control for the audio
* No ability to build playlists with files in the app, except by copying the files or moving them to a different folder. So if you want a given file in multiple playlists, you need to make multiple copies of the file.
* In the PDF reader, highlighting a word brings up a GoodReader-specific menu for annotating the text; there doesn't seem to be a way to access the handy iOS dictionaries to look up a word in the app.
* It supports PDF, .txt, and .html files, but not epubs.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”