General discussion about learning languages
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: Let's see your language learning books

Postby David1917 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:06 am

Mail day: Linguaphone Arabic edition.

It seems to be missing a separate "Alphabet" book, though I don't even see where it would fit into this case, unless it's supposed to be a little pamphlet or something? Either way, the set was only 20 USD, so I'm not that worried about it.

rsz_img_6408.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:32 am

Here are my language dictionaries, textbooks, etc., plus a few books in Esperanto, Italian, and Klingon. These I've accumulated over the years based on whims and passing fancies; you can see that French is the only one I've seriously studied! This makes me wanna learn Italian though. I got the phrasebook as a gift from my sister before going to Italy in high school, then bought an Italian novel while there, and the textbooks are from Introduction to Italian, which I took and quickly dropped in first year university.

And here are my French novels, which were all bought cheap at library discard sales and other used book sales. I want more, but space is an issue! My shelf space is full of English books so these currently live in a box.

1 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 am

10 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

David1917
Blue Belt
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 pm

The TYS Collection continues. This one I might actually use soon, too! Got used for 5 USD.

rsz_img_6495.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Postby AroAro » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:18 am

I thought I will post here a photo of my Assimil collection – I think it’s “complete” meaning that I have the courses for all the languages I’d like to dabble in at some point in the future (and some I will never have time to get around). Well, maybe the only one I’d like to add is the course for Armenian but I’m not going to splash out 400 or 500 eur for that (and that’s the price on amazon and the like)!

assimil5.png
7 x
corrections are welcome

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:11 pm

Since I wrote some contributions to this thread in 2019 I have moved from a flat in a highrise house to a house in the countryside - I took over my late mother's house after she died last year. I have kept much of her furniture, including the white shelves on the picture, but filled them with my own books. Beside those on the image I have several shelf meters of other books and magazines, mostly in other languages and mostly about tourism and zoology and some other non fictional things, but also a few meters of fiction. I have kept a few of my mother's books, like the tales of Jørgen Riel and some very old editions of writers like B.S. Ingemann and Andersen plus some big non fiction books, but NOT her translated bookclub books, nor the books she read as a young person.

I suppose that at least books and magazines in one's target languages also count as language learning materials, but the picture below just shows the collection of dictionaries, grammars and things like that. The tinselware at the top is inherited, but I have actually bought most of it to my mother during my travels (until she declared that she had enough of that stuff now and please stop). And I have thrown all my vinyl disks and music cassettes away. Everything that was worth keeping has been digitized.

Sprogbøger_2023.jpg
16 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:38 pm

The languages area of my bookshelves has gotten more crowded since the 2019 photo above:

8 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “General Language Discussion”