This man speaks 30 languages (German TV)

General discussion about learning languages
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Re: This man speaks 30 languages (German TV)

Postby sporedandroid » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:10 pm

Tristano wrote:The most notable thing is that I actually understood very well the german spoken in this video. I used to think that my German is atrocious but at least I'm going somewhere :geek: :ugeek:

And ok, this guy is no average guy, and he seems to have really a lot of time to study. That doesn't cancel his accomplishments though.

This video was interesting for me to watch. Several years ago I studied Icelandic, so I’m somewhat familiar with Germanic languages. I could somewhat understand the German because of context. The language I understood the best was Hebrew since that’s the language I’m currently studying. I could pick up a few Swedish words here and there, but the comprehension was awful compared to Hebrew. I think he spoke incredibly simple Hebrew compared to Swedish probably because swedish is far easier for German speakers.
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: This man speaks 30 languages (German TV)

Postby Tristano » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:29 am

sporedandroid wrote:This video was interesting for me to watch. Several years ago I studied Icelandic, so I’m somewhat familiar with Germanic languages. I could somewhat understand the German because of context. The language I understood the best was Hebrew since that’s the language I’m currently studying. I could pick up a few Swedish words here and there, but the comprehension was awful compared to Hebrew. I think he spoke incredibly simple Hebrew compared to Swedish probably because swedish is far easier for German speakers.

It is possible, though I regret he didn't speak more Dutch than a little sentence so that I could have an impression of his level in Dutch. Anyway, I think he simply has different levels in different languages. Depending by context and interests is not automatic that someone has a better level in related languages. For example, My Dutch and my English are much better than my French, Spanish and Romanian, despite me being Italian. If I had reasons to study Hebrew to high levels it would have been the same.You can probably find here people with C1 in Mandarin and A1 in French...
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”