Vocabulary learning by drawing words

General discussion about learning languages
Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Re: Vocabulary learning by drawing words

Postby Random Review » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:24 am

zjones wrote:I use drawing to help me retain words, notably (and almost exclusively) for Greek which I have more difficulty with. And yes, I'd say it's a very efficient way to learn vocabulary. Personally, I only use this method for troublesome phrases or words, because it can be time-consuming.

I can draw a pretty good pencil portrait if you give me a reference photo and a couple hours, but the drawings I make for vocabulary retention are stick figures and sometimes very poorly drawn symbols. You can see an example here, (sorry for the low-quality photo as I didn't have much light):

Both of these sentences from Assimil were troublesome for me when I was listening to the audio. Certain vocabulary just wasn't sticking, and all the words about the black sea and the white caps of waves were running together. So in this case I utilized my "sentence drawing" as a reference when I listened to the audio from Assimil, because it helped me separate and internalize all these words.

I also sometimes draw scenes and write sentences and words on them, which I find to be less effective than the method above but still more effective than not drawing at all. This photo was from my log a little while ago.

I really like this. I definitely plan to steal some of this.
3 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2), German (A1), Spanish (A1), Esperanto (A1), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby tommus » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:39 pm

tommus wrote: I am going to start with a number of L2 words that I find difficult to remember even though they are common and I see them a lot.

I have started! It is actually a lot of fun. Plain writing can get boring, but this is interesting, coming up with an idea for a simple drawing that represents the sense of the word or the mnemonic. No artistic ability required but it would probably be an asset. Stick people and crude cars, buildings, actions. It doesn't take much. Brevity is good.

It is too early to know how much it will improve my recall. But it seems to be an effective way to visualise those words that otherwise refuse to stick. And as I said, it is fun, so it might just continue.
3 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
: 25 / 40
: 35 / 35
: 180 / 370
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws
: 730 / 730
: 82 / 104
: 730 / 730

Kraut
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 pm

This isn't about drawing, but I think it might also be useful. I have tried to google for pictures that correspond to the meaning of some new words that I had to look up. This search for a matching picture might be equivalent to the mental effort when trying to appropriate a meaning by drawing a picture.
Examples:

"armario penoso"

"patio descuidado"

"vacio"

"estupenda ducha"

"portazos"
Attachments
Estupenda Ducha Azulejos Azules.jpg
Estupenda Ducha Azulejos Azules.jpg (91.78 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (86.36 KiB) Viewed 78 times
evitar-portazos.jpg
evitar-portazos.jpg (20.81 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Cómo cambiar un patio descuidado.jpg
Cómo cambiar un patio descuidado.jpg (85.59 KiB) Viewed 78 times
Armario penoso y sin baldas, teniendo que dejar cosas en el suelo.jpg
Armario penoso y sin baldas, teniendo que dejar cosas en el suelo.jpg (17.92 KiB) Viewed 78 times
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Kraut wrote:This isn't about drawing, but I think it might also be useful. I have tried to google for pictures that correspond to the meaning of some new words that I had to look up. This search for a matching picture might be equivalent to the mental effort when trying to appropriate a meaning by drawing a picture.

This is very similar to Gabriel Wyner's method outlined in his book Fluent Forever. That might be useful for you.

I really like some of the drawing ideas posted in this thread. Thanks.
1 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

Return to “General Language Discussion”