Vocabulary learning by drawing words

General discussion about learning languages
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: Vocabulary learning by drawing words

Postby tommus » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:39 pm

tommus wrote: I am going to start with a number of L2 words that I find difficult to remember even though they are common and I see them a lot.

I have started! It is actually a lot of fun. Plain writing can get boring, but this is interesting, coming up with an idea for a simple drawing that represents the sense of the word or the mnemonic. No artistic ability required but it would probably be an asset. Stick people and crude cars, buildings, actions. It doesn't take much. Brevity is good.

It is too early to know how much it will improve my recall. But it seems to be an effective way to visualise those words that otherwise refuse to stick. And as I said, it is fun, so it might just continue.
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:44 pm

This isn't about drawing, but I think it might also be useful. I have tried to google for pictures that correspond to the meaning of some new words that I had to look up. This search for a matching picture might be equivalent to the mental effort when trying to appropriate a meaning by drawing a picture.
Examples:

"armario penoso"

"patio descuidado"

"vacio"

"estupenda ducha"

"portazos"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:09 pm

Kraut wrote:This isn't about drawing, but I think it might also be useful. I have tried to google for pictures that correspond to the meaning of some new words that I had to look up. This search for a matching picture might be equivalent to the mental effort when trying to appropriate a meaning by drawing a picture.

This is very similar to Gabriel Wyner's method outlined in his book Fluent Forever. That might be useful for you.

I really like some of the drawing ideas posted in this thread. Thanks.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”