1000th post giveaway!

General discussion about learning languages
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

1000th post giveaway!

Postby IronMike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Greetings fellow language lovers! This is my 1000th post!

I've decided to celebrate my 1000th post by holding a language book giveaway. If you've followed my log, you know I've got oodles of language books in my house (much to my wife's, and the movers', chagrin). On occasion, I think I have too many books. But mostly I ignore those thoughts because, well, language books.

But the 1000th post here is special. These forums are one of my favorite places to go online and I have learned so much from so many of you. I wanted to pay this community back. Some other groups I belong to have giveaways like this, so I checked with one of the admins and got permission to offer this giveaway.

I've got books that I never look at and probably won't ever look at. In some instances, I have duplicates. My books cover the following languages: Russian, Esperanto, German, Cornish, Irish. I'll send one lucky person one of my books!

Rules are simple:
1) Reply to this thread with a) the language you're interested in and 2) the reason (the funnier the better!).
2) You get one entry and one entry only! If you reply to this post more than once you're disqualified.
3) Your mailing address must be in the U.S. or willing to pay the difference between media mail (~$3.00) and shipping to Timbuktu (or whatever you call home).
4) No selling the book on eBay or anywhere! If you don't like the book, you have to give it away for free.

On 12 January at 9:00am NY time, I'll use a random number generator to pick the winner, based on the number of your post. I will send the winner a PM asking for mailing address. If the winner does not reply to me by PM within 24 hours, I'll pick another winner. The book will remain a mystery until you get it! I only ask that after you get it, you post a pic of it in this thread.

OK, so that's it. I don't think I missed anything. IF I did, please PM me what I missed so we can keep all the replies to this post as entries only.

Cheers, and again to you all, thanks for all your help and support during my language journey. Happy New Year!

(Edit: Added rule #4 and edited rule #3)
Last edited by IronMike on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
22 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: 1000th post giveaway!

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Gratulations ... and welcome in the 1000th message club. I don't ask for a book since I also have a book avalanche problem.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:06 pm

I'll have a go. I'd prefer the Cornish book because I always wanted to be Corny. :lol: :roll:

Don't suppose you'd be willing to change rule 3 from:
3) Your mailing address must be in the U.S.
to
3) Your mailing address must be in the U.S. or willing to pay the difference to ship to Timbuktu.

I'll pay the postal if you want, or the difference, whichever you prefer. I just paid for a Setswana book, so I know the rate for UK shipping !! :shock:

EDIT: I've just gone over 4000, I should probably do something at 5k.
5 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Esperanto because I just got a bookshelf and it looks kind of empty and sad. Whatever book you send me, I'll bump it up my Esperanto reading list which is currently:

Reading.....Virino ĉe la landlimo
Next..........Kiel akvo de l' rivero
After that...Vojaĝo al kazohinio

Mailing address is in the US.

If I don't like the book, I will release it into the custody of someone in my local Esperanto club (Also the eventual fate of Virino ĉe la landlimo!)
1 x

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Postby Longinus » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:04 pm

I'll vote for Cornish also, because I'm traveling to Cornwall soon and want to be able to speak with the natives. :o
Last edited by Longinus on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:40 pm

rdearman wrote:Don't suppose you'd be willing to change rule 3 from:
3) Your mailing address must be in the U.S.
to
3) Your mailing address must be in the U.S. or willing to pay the difference to ship to Timbuktu.

Great idea. Rules updated above.
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

atiekay
Languages: English (N), Advanced Mandarin and Japanese, Intermediate German, Beginner Russian and Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=5150

Postby atiekay » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:08 pm

Wow, that's really generous of you! I'd love an Esperanto book because all I have in Esperanto are two old textbooks and nothing that I can read for fun :)

Happy New Year and congrats on making it this far in your language journey!
2 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:06 pm

In his recent special, comedian Jim Gaffigan made a joke about how families only pass down good stories about your family history and that DNA tests like 23andMe can only give you the bad news your family didn't want to tell you. In my experience, studying heritage languages is much the same experience, so please, help me discover more bad news by supporting my Irish progress, because you know anyone's Irish's side has plenty of bad news to discover. And if I ever make it back to Boston, I'd be happy to buy you a Guinness or a dram of Bushmills ata local pub to return the favor! :D
3 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 pm

I want to learn Japanese, because it's not in your list and I don't want the hassle of having to reset my forgotten PayPal password to pay the postage. ;-)
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:24 pm

Iversen wrote:Gratulations ... and welcome in the 1000th message club. I don't ask for a book since I also have a book avalanche problem.
Ditto! As it happens, yesterday, there was a minor tremor when one of bookcases partially collapsed under the weight of my language books, I have so many of them that I stack them two and three deep. My wife entered the room as I was placing the books in small piles on the floor, she have me “the look” and left the room without saying a word. Now, that’s scary!!!
P1010434.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
16 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”