Spaced Repetition Notes System (SRNS)

General discussion about learning languages
juman
White Belt

Re: Spaced Repetition Notes System (SRNS)

Postby juman » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:27 pm

zenmonkey wrote:why is "again" and "good" the same?

According to SM-2 they are but are handled differently. With Again the item would be rescheduled for tomorrow while with good it would be rescheduled according to whatever the table with iterations gives.
0 x

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Next issue I thought a bit about was how to calculate the dates. Say I'm using the tables and find that the next repetition would be 14 days from now what date would that be? I could use a computer/phone to solve it but as my goal is that the system shouldt be standalone I came up with an additional table :

srs-3.jpg

So if today is 2019-01-21 and I want to know what day it is in 32 days I know 21+32 = 53. Find 53 in the table and I can see that the date will be 2019-02-22
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by juman on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Just can't do any of these systems. Don't know why. Is Quizlet technically the same thing? I used that for a while, but found it took so long to input my words (esp. in Russian) that I'd rather just read a book.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:42 pm

IronMike wrote:Just can't do any of these systems. Don't know why. Is Quizlet technically the same thing? I used that for a while, but found it took so long to input my words (esp. in Russian) that I'd rather just read a book.

Sorry, I don't fully understand your question/statement?
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:56 pm

juman wrote:
IronMike wrote:Just can't do any of these systems. Don't know why. Is Quizlet technically the same thing? I used that for a while, but found it took so long to input my words (esp. in Russian) that I'd rather just read a book.

Sorry, I don't fully understand your question/statement?

Is Quizlet a SRS?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:04 pm

IronMike wrote:Is Quizlet a SRS?

It seems to at least have support to be used as a SRS as you can read here : https://quizlet.com/help/2444098/long-term-learning

I'm not using Quizlet myself so I don't know more than that.
1 x

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:37 pm

So I have been testing this for a while now and even though the drilling generated is similar using all the different tables gives too much of an overhead. After just a few repetitions I spend more time trying to find the next date to to the next review then I spend on the actual review.

That said to keep this fun the review needs to go faster which comes at a cost of the SRS logic it is currently based on. Currently I have one book I write the first entries in and then I have a loose leaf per day of future items to review. Next up is to revisit the tables and seeing if they can be simplyfied or if I can find a way moving this closer to a Leitner system/Gold list method somehow but still keep the feature where hard words are repeated more often then easy words with the initial steps being quite frequent.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Coming back to this.....

rdearman wrote:Personally I wouldn't bother doing all of that. I would simply download anki load and some cards and start using it to memorise vocabulary. All of that other stuff just seems to be procrastination to me.

I agree with the bolded.

juman wrote:So I have been testing this for a while now and even though the drilling generated is similar using all the different tables gives too much of an overhead. After just a few repetitions I spend more time trying to find the next date to to the next review then I spend on the actual review.

That said to keep this fun the review needs to go faster which comes at a cost of the SRS logic it is currently based on. Currently I have one book I write the first entries in and then I have a loose leaf per day of future items to review. Next up is to revisit the tables and seeing if they can be simplyfied or if I can find a way moving this closer to a Leitner system/Gold list method somehow but still keep the feature where hard words are repeated more often then easy words with the initial steps being quite frequent.

Given your feature goals, there seems to be a ready made solution :

Self contained - in notebook/s or within loose leafs (Anki phone is self contained, doesn't require multiple notebooks)
Portable - I travel so I want to be able to bring it with me (Anki phone)
Without computer need - Reviews shouldn't need a computer
Phase out - Have a definition off when something is learnt (Anki phone - turn of cards or delete them)
Gamified - Possibility to track things added/learnt (Anki phone)
Handwritten - I feel that writing things out by hand helps a lot in the learning process (Anki phone + a piece of paper)
Simple - Simple enough to manage that the effort to use it is low (Anki phone, has a short learning curve)

Honest question, are you still convinced that your system meets most of your requirements more than a program?
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:08 pm

I know Anki solves most of my requirements beyond the most important one:

Getting me away from the screen.

So I'll continue to test things out as alternative options.
2 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:29 am

You've clearly put an enormous amount of thought into this and I applaud that. I think you're going to have to compromise slightly on the efficiency of your algorithm in order to reduce overhead.

Suppose you have a notebook and commit to reviewing one page every day. On the first day you write down 20 new entries on the first page. You review after ten minutes or so. Then you copy all the hard ones onto the next page and all the easy ones onto the third page.

The next day, you turn to page 2, add your new words for the day, and review your "hard" words. After ten minutes you review again and use the same principle: easy words two pages away, hard words on the next page.

When a word feels "really easy" put it five pages away, and when you feel extremely comfortable with it, it's time to stop reviewing it. If you want to be more scientific, maybe put tally marks next to the words that you copy onto new pages, and stop copying them after you reach a certain number of repetitions.

Of course there are limitations. You have to limit your new words per day to what can fit on that day's page - in this way this method prioritizes learning old vocabulary over cramming lots of new words per day. I suppose nothing is stopping you from using two notebooks in parallel.

But on the other hand, after you've done several pages it takes virtually no time or effort to flip through your pages in order and do an extra "review everything" session, which itself is spaced in some way because of how the words are distributed through the pages. It might be inefficient to do that, but it's insignificant compared to the time you'd spend on a system with more overhead.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”