Spaced Repetition Notes System (SRNS)

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Spaced Repetition Notes System (SRNS)

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:36 pm

juman wrote:I know Anki solves most of my requirements beyond the most important one:

Getting me away from the screen.

So I'll continue to test things out as alternative options.

Thanks for the answer! I was wondering if that was really the issue (which I'm not challenging).

You might try to make this work via a "physical calculator". If the top of each page told you what page to place the word based on results, you could preprint a little booklet that would help out.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:40 pm

Axon wrote:I think you're going to have to compromise slightly on the efficiency of your algorithm in order to reduce overhead.

I have had a few days now trying out an easier scheduling algorithm based on the one used by Anki. This made it much easier to reschedule an item to a new date as no math is involved. When starting out an item have Level 1 and will be reviewed again as Level 2 in 2 days. When then reviewing it again if I still see it as easy I will not see the item again until a week as it goes into Level 4.

levelflow.png

I'm now playing around a bit with how to structure the notes to be easy to see what is scheduled for today and be easy to rewrite them for a future date. I've got the overall overhead needed to reschedule items down to something really easy and will share a more structured overview when I have tried it out a bit more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Since I've found great success with the way I have been using Assimil, I've thought about finding ways to apply it beyond the manual. I don't like Anki that much either, so I've been working on creating my own "Assimil" style notebooks. Well, right now I have a Google Doc, but still. What I'm doing is mining sentences from various coursebooks/readers and copying them down with the word/usage that is new in bold. There is no translation (though you could include if needed), just enough contexts to try and remember.

So here's what I do:
Day 1 - Write (type) however many sentences fill a page (or less, depending on if my session gets cut short or I didn't find enough new material). This is "Lesson 1"
Day 2 - Repeat, title it "Lesson 2", then re-read Lesson 1.
Day 3-7 - Repeat Day 2, re-reading all previous lessons.
Days 8-14 - Repeat, re-reading the previous 7 lessons (that is on day 9 you read 9-2, on day 13 you read 13-6, etc)
Days 15 and beyond - Now after re-reading the previous 7, you go 7 lessons back (15-8, 1; 16-9, 2; 45-38, 31, 24, 17, 10, 3)

I based this off of the ideal Assimil layout, wherein each Lesson corresponds to a day of the week, and each 7th Lesson is a review. Since at this point I'm not trying to learn the structure, I'm just trying to absorb more language, that isn't as important. I still think working in 7's will be beneficial. This is also extremely easy, and instead of focusing on creating/maintaining a complex algorithm, you can just focus on the language. It also doesn't "penalize" you if you miss a couple days (the days you open Anki and have a million cards to review....) You just pick up the next day where you left off and go.

You can phase things out basically whenever you read the page and are bored from it - that means it's too easy.

I understand this is less scientific, and there are plenty of ways that a true SRS based on neurological research would be more effective. I simply find that it would only work in a very specific set of circumstances, and I would stress myself out by messing up the algorithm if I missed a day of reviewing.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:24 am

juman wrote:I have seen Iversons method of translating back and forth which but the green sheets where more of creating a reference sheet as I understood it?
Regarding the gold list method it has one good concept as it keeps you writing out the material. (...) I have tried it and the results where not good.

Me too - but I am the worst possible judge since I have my own system which works on completely different principles, namely the three-column wordlist layout, which I have described in detail in my Guide to Learning languages here at LLORG.

Basically my wordlists work on the following principle: you should work with a series of word pairs (target + base language) rather than with just one word pair since that will force you NOT to keep repeating the same word and its translation in your mind. It only counts as a repetition if you have thought about something else in between, and therefore I have built several repetitions within a few minutes in both directions into the system. If you add one, maybe two repetitions the following days this makes the system work as a SRS system on paper, albeit with a much shorter timeframe than classical SRS systems like Anki or the Goldlist system (or oldfashioned flashcards on paper for that matter).

The green sheets have a totally different purpose, namely to create very concentrated tables with the most important morphology of a language on as few sheets as possible. That makes them easier to consult in case of doubt than ordinary grammars, and you also learn something from constructing them. And why green, you may ask? Well, primarily because I am drowning in white sheets, which I have to throw away at regular intervals. I made my grammar sheets green (and used extra thick paper) to avoid throwing them out by mistake.
1 x

suko
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish - English - Korean

Postby suko » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:45 pm

What does your system look like? do you have any pictures?
I’ve been thinking about trying out physical flashcards, but I wouldn’t want to make them by hand on regular flimsy paper, I got an idea a few days ago to order a bunch of business cards since you could design and customize a template to be exactly what you want and have it printed, for example you could add a tracker by adding a few circles that you can fill in to track how easy the card was to recall, and you could have a section for notes or sample sentences if you wanted to.
I haven’t tried it out yet though since I have no problems using anki and doing this would cost money and I’d have to design a template, but it seems like it could be a good idea if you want good quality flashcards
1 x

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:42 pm

suko wrote:What does your system look like? do you have any pictures?

No pictures of my system right now. Is still testing out different options so mainly it is just now a notebook with a lot of text combined with a calendar on a loose piece of paper. Will give an updated when I have tried this version for a while to see if I find it useful.
0 x

juman
White Belt

Postby juman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:13 pm

I'm now have found a routine with a small overhead that I think works quite fine but haven't been doing it long enough to tell the full effects of it yet. There was a question on how it looks like so I thought I would summarize it here.

Step 1 : Write a list of words/phrases + translations you want to memorize
Step 2 : Cover up the language you are learning and based on the translation write down the L2 answer
Step 3 : Indicate per item how long time you want to wait until you see it again (1d,2d,5d,1w,2w,3w,4w,5w)
Step 4: Create one list per date where you want to see the item and rewrite each item into each list.
Step 5: When you have remembered something for 5 weeks it is done and doesn't have to be rewritten or tested anymore

And here are some more details on I have structured each step and some images on how it looks like :

Step 1 : List of words/phrases + translations
A couple of times per week I sit down and write a basic list with two columns where one side is my target language and the other side is English. I base the list on a textbook so I spend some time reading explanations of words/phrases/grammar rules and look for things that I think is relevant.
fullpage.jpg

Step 2 : Cover up the language you are learning and based on the translation write down the L2 answer
I put a paper over the column of the text I'm learning and write out the answer on a scrap paper that looks something like this after a while :
drill.jpg

Step 3 : Indicate per item how long time you want to wait until you see it again (1d,2d,5d,1w,2w,3w,4w,5w)
When learning items and writing items down for future I first indicate per item how easy it was by using the scale mentioned above but I can skip steps I find the item really easy. I indicate on the right hand side when I want to see it again by writing .1,.2,.5 for pushing the item x days into the future and +1,+2,+3 for weeks into the future. When rewriting the item I write how long I waited since the last repetition so after a line you might see something like .2+1 which says that it was two days since I last saw this but as I think it is easy I push this one week forward. On the left hand side I write down the number of repetitions I have seen each item.
I do this for about 6 lines at a time as a minimal but might do several of these in a day.
fullpage.jpg

Step 4: Create one list per date where you want to see the item and rewrite each item into each list.
As mentioned above I do about 6 words at a time but might do several of these per session. This allows me to split each page into several parts that will be scheduled for a future date. So each date might have chunks like this on several pages. So after writing a chunk I put down the date it should be reviewed again and put the page number on a calendar. So on the Feb 1st I will need to review chunks on page 8 and 4.
calendar.jpg

Step 5: When you have remembered something for 5 weeks it is done and doesn't have to be rewritten or tested anymore
I havent't been doing this long enough to get to this point yet however so far the system gives me what I want. The time I spend in front of the computer is once or twice per week for this and then I can spend all the other days just repeating items that are scheduled for the day or adding new items in from the lists I create when I'm in front of the computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”