Language related New Year's resolutions for 2019

General discussion about learning languages
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Language related New Year's resolutions for 2019

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:35 am

I kind of can't be bothered with language style resolutions after a number of years in which I've studied as much as possible and don't foresee my drive dropping off, thus resolutions aren't really necessary. Also, given the fact that I really can't tell what the next year has in store for me in terms of free time, so I can't tell yet what I can do, as it's dependent on free time and I don't know my 2019 routine yet. Also, I don't want to be as selfish in 2019. Thus my resolutions are to be more present and therefore create more focus on task (whatever that may be - family, language study, surroundings), thereby maximising EVERYTHING.

What I will definitely do - continue to learn French, get more serious (consistent) with Dutch and commence Arabic.

What I reserve the right to maybe undertake depending on cirumstances, is basically more languages, but I think, realistically, and fairly, that's unlikely, so no point mentioning any other languages at this time.

Good luck to everyone in 2019 and I hope you all have a very productive, balanced, pleasant 2019!
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:39 pm

I'll write something more detailed in my log, but basically my main task in 2019 will be to start thinking in the Slavic languages plus Albanian (as a preparation for speaking them). If I add new languages it will probably be either some of the Baltic ones (I have got dictionaries now for Lithuanian and/or Latvian) or Finnish or Hungarian, but not with the expectation to learn to use any of them actively within 2019. And Irish will still be there, but I haven't got much time to spend on it, and it will definitely remain a passive and laboriously-sentence-constructing language.
1 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:00 pm

My plan for 2019 is I'm going to make an honest effort at getting through Japanese young adult novels. I keep buying these things, but I always wander off before I finish them. Have yet to get to the end. It's pretty exhausting, but this time I'm going to force myself to get to the end, no matter what.
3 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:36 pm

cathrynm wrote:My plan for 2019 is I'm going to make an honest effort at getting through Japanese young adult novels. I keep buying these things, but I always wander off before I finish them. Have yet to get to the end. It's pretty exhausting, but this time I'm going to force myself to get to the end, no matter what.

well still be picky about the book. it makes such a difference when the writing style is compatible with me. I've also had times where the content was so compelling I could not put the book down and read 200 pages in one day. This month I was trying to hit my quota of 2 books a month and I thought I could read the 2 kids books I got (they're not kids books for 4 year olds where it's all hiragana. I think they're for elementary or middle school kids). It turns out the writing style left something to be desired so I read it slower than suzumiya haruhi no yuuutsu just due to my apathy (I got distracted easily lol). When it comes down to it most kids books appeal to kids and there are kids books that are so good that they appeal to adults but that book was not one of them.

I don't know if you heard of higashino keigo but he's popular and known for his easy to read writing style. I don't care for his writing style so I don't find it easy to read. Objectively speaking, his writing style is technically simple and easy to read but for me his writing is not enjoyable to read so therefore it is a chore.

What do you mean by young adult novel? light novel??
2 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Sayonaroo wrote:well still be picky about the book. it makes such a difference when the writing style is compatible with me. I've also had times where the content was so compelling I could not put the book down and read 200 pages in one day. This month I was trying to hit my quota of 2 books a month and I thought I could read the 2 kids books I got (they're not kids books for 4 year olds where it's all hiragana. I think they're for elementary or middle school kids). It turns out the writing style left something to be desired so I read it slower than suzumiya haruhi no yuuutsu just due to my apathy (I got distracted easily lol). I don't know if you heard of higashino keigo but he's popular and known for his easy to read writing style. I don't care for his writing style so I don't find it easy to read. Objectively speaking, his writing style is simple and easy to read technically but for me his writing is not fun to read so therefore it is a chore.

I'm afraid, just for me, I've wasted too much time flailing around buying them and losing interest and not getting past the first 20 pages or so. I have kind of the tsundoku problem I guess? I feel like this has to end, it's time to just plow through, no matter what. Right now, trying to get through 坊っちゃん. I'm about 80 pages in, I can sort of follow what's going on. If I'm baffled, I give myself the option of either letting it go and just moving on, or taking time trying to decode it.
0 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:10 am

cathrynm wrote:
Sayonaroo wrote:well still be picky about the book. it makes such a difference when the writing style is compatible with me. I've also had times where the content was so compelling I could not put the book down and read 200 pages in one day. This month I was trying to hit my quota of 2 books a month and I thought I could read the 2 kids books I got (they're not kids books for 4 year olds where it's all hiragana. I think they're for elementary or middle school kids). It turns out the writing style left something to be desired so I read it slower than suzumiya haruhi no yuuutsu just due to my apathy (I got distracted easily lol). I don't know if you heard of higashino keigo but he's popular and known for his easy to read writing style. I don't care for his writing style so I don't find it easy to read. Objectively speaking, his writing style is simple and easy to read technically but for me his writing is not fun to read so therefore it is a chore.

I'm afraid, just for me, I've wasted too much time flailing around buying them and losing interest and not getting past the first 20 pages or so. I have kind of the tsundoku problem I guess? I feel like this has to end, it's time to just plow through, no matter what. Right now, trying to get through 坊っちゃん. I'm about 80 pages in, I can sort of follow what's going on. If I'm baffled, I give myself the option of either letting it go and just moving on, or taking time trying to decode it.

that books sounds too difficult for a first book (natsume souseki lived from February 9, 1867 – December 9, 1916). I'm not surprised about the outcome. why not go with something more contemporary like otsuichi?

I plan on reading one of natsume souseki's works since they're so famous. I'm definitely going to do it on the kindle since it's available for free on aozora bunko and I assume he'll use words I don't know (he did write them a long time ago. Reading osamu dazai on the kindle was fantastic because I do not need to add words to anki for obvious reasons) that I can look up on the kindle easily.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt

Postby cathrynm » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:39 am

Sayonaroo wrote:that books sounds too difficult for a first book (natsume souseki lived from February 9, 1867 – December 9, 1916). I'm not surprised about the outcome. why not go with something more contemporary like otsuichi?

I plan on reading one of natsume souseki's works since they're so famous. I'm definitely going to do it on the kindle since it's available for free on aozora bunko and I assume he'll use words I don't know (he did write them a long time ago. Reading osamu dazai on the kindle was fantastic because I do not need to add words to anki for obvious reasons) that I can look up on the kindle easily.

So far just seems like 'a bunch of words' -- a lot of it is conversation or description. And if I repeatedly see something I don't know, I look up in the dictionary. The aotoribunko version has inserts for everything that's too archaic, and readings for all the characters. The main hint to me, maybe something is wrong, is that I think it's supposed to be funny and to me it is not funny. Oh well.

Anyway, the thing is, this is the book I brought with me down to my father's house, so it's what I have. I'll see how far I can get through it before the end of the holidays. I have a stack of unread Japanese novels back at my own house, and can switch to one of those next.
Last edited by cathrynm on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:48 am

It turns out I do have a language New Year's Resolution - to remain consistent every day of the year with my language studies.

So, if you haven't heard already (cheesy, I know), I started a thread for a new language challenge which might answer some peoples' ideals for 2019 in studying consistently for the year and help achieve their Language New Year's resolutions. I'm not alone nor the first with the idea, so it's been a warm welcome for others with similar ideas for such a challenge. Thus, on the back of coldrainwater's post in the Spanish group (thank you) and mine in Team Middle East, I've decided to advertise it here so that less people miss the start (although this time 'round you can join as late as 31st Jan 2019 but the ideal start date is 01.01.2019).

Here's the link:

The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge
6 x

naqvisson
White Belt
Languages: English, Urdu/Hindi (N), Punjabi, Sariaki, Finnish (A1), Swedish (B1/B2),
Studies: German, French!
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... ch#p128541

Postby naqvisson » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:08 pm

2019 goals:

Swedish:
Read atleast 3 HP books and Swedish poetry.

German:
Finish GWOT, Linguaphone second stage, HP1+2, a month in Germany..B2 is the aim.

French:
Linguaphone French, NFWE and a week in South of France next November..A2,B1-

Persian:
Spend some time with Persian...i know the alphabets and urdu has so many loan words from Persian...hv a couple of persian speaking friends to practice.

Russian:
Will learn the alphabets and A1 is the target.
0 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:02 pm

Bon courage & bliadhna shoirbheachail dhuibh, a h-uile duine! May the odds be ever in your favor! :D

OK, so 2019 is still about 15 hours away for me, but it's already 2019 for some folks and I just want to wish everyone well. May we all succeed, and if not succeed, fail with grace and pizzazz. :lol:

Hank wrote:
So this year I'm going with the same resolution: to be able to comfortably read Welsh by the end of 2019.

I wish I had some witty insight on how to make Welsh easier, but I don't. I myself have started keeping a written journal of things I come across that i really want to learn well and be able to recall, and being a physical notebook, it makes it easier to browse through and review (for me at least) as suits my mood and available time. So far, it seems to be helpful.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Return to “General Language Discussion”