If you speak Italian and English, have no plans for the holidays yet and aspire to become a published translator...

General discussion about learning languages
Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

If you speak Italian and English, have no plans for the holidays yet and aspire to become a published translator...

Postby Kat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:33 pm

...this competition might be of interest to you: http://www.peirenepress.com/prize/
3 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: If you speak Italian and English, have no plans for the holidays yet and aspire to become a published translator...

Postby Iversen » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:10 pm

I suppose the winner will have to be a native Anglophone, and even though they are numerous I am not one of them - and my Italian is also a wee bit rusty. Besides it irks me that you have to accept at least three books from the peirenepress in order to participate. So no, I'm not going to participate in the competition. But just for fun I translated the Italian text into Danish, and the result can be seen in my log. And it didn't take a full holiday to make the experiment, just something like two hours.
0 x

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Re: If you speak Italian and English, have no plans for the holidays yet and aspire to become a published translator...

Postby Kat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Iversen wrote:Besides it irks me that you have to accept at least three books from the peirenepress in order to participate.

I must admit that I completely overlooked that condition. :oops: If I had seen it, I probably wouldn't have posted the link. That makes the whole competition a bit sketchy.

Iversen wrote:But just for fun I translated the Italian text into Danish...

Maybe you can find out who bought the Danish rights and offer them your services?
0 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

Return to “General Language Discussion”