Huh? Universal?

General discussion about learning languages
dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Huh? Universal?

Postby dampingwire » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:44 am

Everybody in Almost Every Language Says “Huh”? HUH?!.

TL;DR: "Huh?" works in many languages. Well, so far "many" means 10, but they're confident the number will go higher ...

So is anyone here a native speaker of a language where there is no "Huh?"?
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Huh? Universal?

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:53 am

hmmm! They studied 10 languages and came to this conclusion?

Whatever the interjection they chose for Spanish, it certainly isn't the same as an English "huh?".
There is an "eh?" in Spanish and a brief scan of the paper suggests this is what they chose as equivalent.

Which shows that "huh" isn't universal. It's just confirmation bias at work. Look for a universal there and you'll find it.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:10 am

Without doing any research on the matter at all, I suspect that “huh?” and its equivalents in many other languages likely evolved from a primeval “grunt” which, depending on its inflection (possibly rising, but not necessarily so) serves as an invitation to the listener to express his agreement with the “huher”, serves to invite further comment or explanation on the part of the listener, or serves to indicate the “huher’s” surprise, disbelief, amusement, scorn, or anger. Should the "huh" be emitted by a Silver Back, I suggest that you assume the worst case scenario.

Huh ???
Huh.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:01 pm

Does 'huh?' even work in all forms of English? It isn't exactly usual in this part of Scotland...
0 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:33 pm

I have lived in almost every province of Canada and have mostly certainly traversed the country many, many times. I have heard several variants of “huh” … huh, uh, ay, ey, wha, and similar indistinct noises some of which would be best described as a simple “grunting” or “snorting.”

I would not be surprised to learn that our species’ initial attempts at verbal communications included a “grunt/snort” which has stuck with many languages even though there are now many vocalized/nasalized variants of it.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:21 pm

I do recognize this kind of filler word from several languages. For instance in French the equivalent of "huh?" would be "hein?", but then I came to think of my own language, Danish, and I was stumped. We do use similar sounds, but not "huh?" in the same places as English. If we want to urge our interlocutor to confirm our statements, we add "ikk'?" (from "ikke", not). If the interlocutor wants to express slight scepticism it would be with something like "uhuh?" (rising pitch and a vowel quality closer to 'euheu'), which may be the ultimate source of the more deliberate "aha?", which has a variant "aha!" ('ahaaa',first with rising then deeper falling pitch), which we use in heureka moments. And then there is the ubiquitous word "øh" ('euh') which mostly is used to give us thinking pauses where we try to keep the interlocutor from saying anything by continuing to emit sounds, and then the pitch is level - but "øh" can also be used with rising pitch if we want to catch the attention of somebody. But "huh?" in the same places as English? I daresay not - and that makes me wonder what those researchers actually heard in those ten foreign languages. Did they just hear some sound beyond the dictionary and converted it into their own native "huh"?
0 x

FernandoTercio
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (native), English (advanced), French (beginner), Mandarin (total beginner)

Postby FernandoTercio » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:23 pm

This is interesting, would any of you give me some book recommendation about universal features of languages? I'm not talking about grammatical structures or thing like that, more like the sounds to refer to "mother" and "father", this "uh" affair and so on.

By the way, here in Spain we say "eh?"
0 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:36 pm

FernandoTercio wrote:This is interesting, would any of you give me some book recommendation about universal features of languages? I'm not talking about grammatical structures or thing like that, more like the sounds to refer to "mother" and "father", this "uh" affair and so on.

You might be interested in reading information about universal features within specific families of languages -- the Indo-European languages, for example. It wouldn't technically be universal but it might be of interest to you since your intention is to speak at least three IE languages. I've listened to The History of English Podcast which is pretty in-depth but covers some SUPER fascinating aspects of linguistics, roots and IE language history that don't only pertain to English. (In fact one of my complaints is that this podcast is too in-depth and doesn't really focus on English as much as the title would imply.)

Then of course you might want to go on and read about the Semitic and Sino-Tibetan (?) language families.

As far as this "huh" thing, maybe I'm misunderstanding the revelatory nature of this article (or just don't have enough knowledge)... I don't see why it's surprising that several languages have a word equivalent to "huh".
1 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:10 am

FernandoTercio wrote:This is interesting, would any of you give me some book recommendation about universal features of languages? I'm not talking about grammatical structures or thing like that, more like the sounds to refer to "mother" and "father", this "uh" affair and so on.

I'm not aware of what books you should read, but you may find this wikipedia article interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_symbolism
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:50 am

In Faroese and Icelandic, it's "Ha?"

EDIT: this mostly comes after someone says something and you didn't understand, so it's a bit like, "Pardon?" But from what I read of my textbook, it has a hint of "huh?" thrown in.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”