What is your preferred novel-reading medium?

General discussion about learning languages

What is your preferred book reading medium?

Physical book or e-reader (Kindle, etc)
82%
Computer/phone screen/PDF
18%

Total votes: 57

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Re: What is your preferred novel-reading medium?

Postby garyb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:05 pm

My Paperwhite (3rd gen) is an absolute user interface design nightmare and I'm not sure how much longer the USB port will last, but I still love it! The convenience, font size changing, and backlight are hard to beat. I'd certainly consider a competitor's product if it does need replaced between the usability, my last Kindle (keyboard model) breaking down after a few years, and to have less business with Amazon... but Amazon's one-click purchases and syncing between devices are huge selling points that I'd miss.
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:08 pm

I also think that physical books and e-readers should be separate options, as pointed out by others they are very different experiences.

I love my Kindle Paperwhite and I hardly ever read a book made out of paper any longer. I think I have bought less than 10 physical books for myself over the last three years, and they have all been books in Romansh, because there are still very few e-books in that language. The things mentioned by the others (pop-up dictionaries, font size change, backlight etc.) are all very nice features you don't get in a paper version. I never read books on a PC, but sometimes on my iPad, mostly in cases where the file cannot be converted to Amazon standard or it is too big, like certain illustrated books in Russian that I have bought lately, which come in pdf format.

Not exactly the question, but I am gradually moving to a paperless existence as much as I can. I read books on Kindle, and magazines and newspapers on my iPad. I mostly use my reMarkable to take notes or annotate pdfs. I do it partly for ecological reasons, partly because I find it much more practical. As regards books, I can carry a huge library around in my pocket. I sometimes save e-versions of newspapers or magazines when there is a particularly interesting article, and it is quick and easy to find it again. I can also save them in to an application like GoodNotes and use the Apple pencil to highlight or annotate articles. My reMarkable now has all my job-related note-taking from the last year and I can quickly look up what was discussed at a meeting five or six months ago if needed, something that never happened when I used to scribble notes on paper.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

frenkeld
Languages: .
Native: Russian
Fluent: English
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German

Postby frenkeld » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:22 pm

I use an e-reader for reading while looking up most of the unknown words, and a paper book for reading continuously without looking up the words.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”