Brexit Show Statistic

General discussion about learning languages
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Brexit Show Statistic

Postby Cavesa » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Chung wrote:It comes down for most migrants to a combination of economics and following the path of least resistance (I guess that there are those who migrate because they're actively persecuted, and so the matter goes beyond the banal of making enough to money to live and/or finding a "like-minded" community across the border(s)). This point about the path of least resistance can cover anything from cultural and/or linguistic similarity (why should I transplant myself to Japan where the culture and language are foreign to me, when I could look for an opportunity in another 1st world country where the culture and language are less foreign to me?), bureaucracy to resettle in the right way (ever seen the level of bureaucratic BS ranging from residency permits to trying (sometimes unsucessfully) to convince officials in the "new" country of the validity of your education or qualifications?) to level of connection (e.g. do I have relatives there already or a chance at building a support network through a community of people of the same background?).

Yes, it is very true. It is always about comparing the gains to the difficulties. When you are running for your life, you don't see the difficulties in a country giving you asyle as that huge. When you are want to move between 1st world countries or from the relatively ok countries to the best ones, it is different.

All the bureaucracy, validity of education, and similar stuff is much more important than the language. But for some weird reason, the language is always mentioned the first as a problem. And both by the immigrants and by the locals talking about them. But I'd say anyone planning to stay in a foreign country in the long run without learning the language is just lazy. The Czech Republic's language requirement for long term stay permit is an A1 exam. A1! It is laughable. Yet, it is still a reason for many people to either not come, or to come under the condition of being allowed to live in their language bubble. No wonder they opt for another country speaking their native language (and it is not just about the economy. The Czech Republic is no marvel, it sucks in many ways, but in many fields, it is objectively a valid alternative for many unemoployed from the southern european countries or latin america. It just sucks at PR, unlike the UK for example).

I'd say a big problem is the PR of many of the countries. Most anglophone countries have such a strong reputation of being immigrant friendly, that even a rather large amount of controversial actions against migration doesn't change that. It is so strong, that it attracts even the people with different native languages, so it is no wonder the natives are opting for those countries too.

That's why I am convinced that the numbers of anglophones going to other anglophone countries may be higher than those of the other language natives going to other countries speaking the same language. The language is not the primary problem, in my opinion. The fact that many countries fail to present themselves to possible incomers adequately is more important.

Just look at the doctors. Every country needs more these days. But the anglophones are the most active in promoting themselves, despite the whole american system being in reality rather harsh and expensive to get into, and the NHS leaving a lot to be desired. The Germans promote themselves well too, and they are the best at dealing with the language barrier. A translator and language classes are a normal integral part of the offer, paid from the salary and therefore motivating people to study as fast as possible. The french need more doctors, don't want/can't educate more students, but are also very discouraging to foreigners in various ways. Therefore it is no wonder that a young doctor from a francophone african country may consider the US instead of France.

The reality of moving abroad is one thing, and already complicated. But the image of one's future life there is even more important.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”