Poll ended at Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 am

Yes.
61%
No.
39%

Total votes: 51

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Re: Have you had teachers?

Postby zjones » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 am

I never had formal language classes at any time.

BUT I did take 5 lessons from an iTalki tutor.

French
A1 - 100% self-taught
A2 - 100% self-taught
B1 - 98% self-taught

Personally I would love to reach my goal without any teacher. I prefer to be self-sufficient, which has turned out to be both a good thing and bad thing in language-learning. However, I think I need to be more open to the idea of having a teacher for working on output.

I didn't answer the poll because I haven't reached my goal in French (which is at least B2).
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:24 am

smallwhite wrote:90% autodidact or 100% autodidact is exactly what I want to know.

That would make an interesting poll, imo. I'm probably 90%+ in all my languages. I'll never be one of the cool kids though. :lol:
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

eikona
Languages: english, polish, ru, fr

Postby eikona » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:07 am

Most of the time - last attempt to learn italiano was a fail due to lack of a teacher, now I'm attempting to learn Russian, without one, and I'm hoping to shatter the pattern- wish me luck.

Speaking-wise, English is my second best, and there's been teachers since the beginning of my learning, but also tons of casual non formal resources, such as 8 seasons of House MD, The Deathly Hallows, and so on...
0 x

chove
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (intermediate), Polish (some).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9355

Postby chove » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:12 am

Have had teachers for Spanish and German (mostly-online university courses), but for Polish I've been on my own all the time.
0 x

cathrynm
Orange Belt
Languages: Japanese(JLPT N3), Finnish(beginner), English(native)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=721

Postby cathrynm » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:42 am

Yes, for Japanese, have had teachers all along for this language. For Finnish no, just chat rooms and random people, aside from flash cards and books.
0 x

mrap
Languages: Latvian (N), Russian (N), English (C2), Norwegian, German, French (all A2)

Postby mrap » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:10 pm

I actually learned Norwegian in a classroom setting in a Nordic-language specializing school in my hometown. It was actually one of the best decisions, as the classes were small - 4-5 people and the teacher, so everyone had a lot of time to speak, plus the teacher forced to use the language as much as possible - even saying "I don't understand", "I don't know, how it is called in Norwegian", "How is [...] in Norwegian". Actually laid out a good deal of structure for me. I think, if you have the chance and ability to attend a good language class for A1 level, I would highly recommend it, it might give you a good foundation background to continue learning on your own onward, given that the class is focused on speaking as my Norwegian class was - more speaking, usage of phrases, expressions, and grammar and vocab lists as a background information to retain and reiterate the information learned.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 pm

I've had plenty of tutors for nearly every language.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:59 pm

I have had some teachers along the way. But most were in school/uni. Outside of school/uni, I've only paid for online classes for Scottish Gaelic and for an Gaelic immersion summer course. Otherwise, I have been a self-learner.

It's not that I'm adverse to paying tutors--I worked as a writing and test taking skills tutor for ESL students and students with disabilities throughout uni and so naturally, I think a good tutor is worth the money. ;) I'd gladly pay for a good, experienced tutor in my target languages if I had the money to do so (the ones I would be comfortable paying are the ones who can rightly charge the big bucks), but I do agree with some others here who have commented on the lack of guided instruction in some more novel online "tutoring" formats and in language exchanges.

I am on the autism spectrum and I have issues with anxiety relating to social interactions and communication, so for me to even deal with a tutor or a study partner, I need to feel confident with that individual and be able to expect some adherence to structured learning with them. Language exchange/conversation partner sites terrify me and give me flashbacks of the various failed attempts at finding a Gaelic study partner which I suffered through early on my Gaelic learning. So I have double motivation to never pay money for language exchange or conversation partners.

So aside from my previous Gaelic courses and a former (unpaid) study partner who had to stop after several years due to personal obligations, I'm just another boring self-learner doing what I can with what I have.
1 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Return to “General Language Discussion”