The Untranslated -- Language learning to read untranslated literature

General discussion about learning languages
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: The Untranslated -- Language learning to read untranslated literature

Postby tastyonions » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:55 pm

Depends on which YouTube polyglot we’re talking about. Luca has his C2 cert in German and I’m pretty sure his English, French, and Spanish are at least as good. And he readily admits when he hasn’t gotten very far in a language (Hungarian) or even totally fails to learn anything of note (Japanese).

Then there are the xioma and Wouter Corduwener types on the other hand…
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:20 pm

Wouter Corduwener seems to be a nice chap otherwise. You don't see him around on YT as much these days.
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:19 am

The author of The Untranslated was tired of waiting for the translation of Mircea Cărtărescu's latest novel Theodoros due out later this year, so he did what I'm sure anyone would do in that situation: he taught himself Romanian and read the damn book. :lol:
8 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:44 am

Interesting, how this conversation fluidly continues after a few years of a break. And I stand by my points in it.

zgriptsuroica wrote:I enjoy plenty of genre literature myself, but I think there's also a valid point to be had about online polyglot communities that call it a day with a language once they find themselves able to hold a conversation about routine topics and read books that are relatively simple in both stylistic and linguistic terms. Some people just chase numbers to be able to say they speak however many languages, getting several up to a low B1 language and never really developing a high degree of mastery in any one of them. A learner of all languages and master of none, as it were.

But those are two rather unrelated things. Reading genre literature is not "B1 and never really developing a high degree of mastery". This is the kind of snobbish attitude towards genre literature, that is rather harmful in our society and reading culture. Many "low genre" authors have rich vocabulary, solid or even excellent style, and definitely don't lack thought. Just like you'd find easier and harder authors among the canonical works, you will find them among the low genres too, even if some genres may have a more skewed % of each.

Someone fully appreciating Pratchett, Tolkien, Jordan, Dantec, Robert, etc. in a foreign language is definitely not B1.

That said, an ability to read sophisticated literary works is only so useful as a proxy for overall competence in a given language.

Nope, that is not a general rule. Not only are most books I've read more interesting than most people I've met (just half joking. Or even less). Many people are simply primarily after reading. Not only most Latin and other classics learners. But also most scientists using English don't really use anything else than reading in their field. And tons of people learning a language primarily to enjoy what it offers on the bookshelf, not really for people.

Don't get me wrong, reading CAN of course work as mainly a tool to improve overall skills, some people treat it as just a tool. But it is definitely not "only so useful as a proxy", no matter whether you read YA or the oldest and longest canonical work available. And btw, the disdained low genres are often more useful for improving overall skills, than the canon.

Within the Japanese learning community, for example, there's something of a stereotypical successful learner who manages to pass the N1 exam, can read difficult books full of obscure kanji with ease, yet would struggle to order a meal or write a book report on Clifford the Big Red Dog in Japanese, since the test doesn't have any components that test your ability to actually produce Japanese.

Therefore, shouldn't there just be more than one stereotype of a successful learner? Shouldn't we just present and cultivate more ideas of what success is? Without shaming the current one?

Because what you describe is indeed a very successful learner. Sounds like someone either becoming a japanologist at university and translating or something like that for a living, or someone simply loving the Japanese culture (perhaps some difficult authors), but never planning to travel there. After all, let's not forget that travelling is not automatic, not even outside of the covid times. It is not accessible to everybody. So, why should that stereotypical successful learner, that you describe, feel ashamed about not having skills they'd never get to use anyways?
10 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 am

lichtrausch wrote:The author of The Untranslated was tired of waiting for the translation of Mircea Cărtărescu's latest novel Theodoros due out later this year, so he did what I'm sure anyone would do in that situation: he taught himself Romanian and read the damn book. :lol:

That's the spirit!

Actually, that's why a large part of my generation improved English quickly. As kids, we were tired of waiting for translation of the new Harry Potter books. But yep, some people won't find it cool, because we did it for HP and not Dickens or Shakespeare :-D

And once I find the time, this will be my main motivation to learn Polish. Not for their canon, but for the tons of fantasy and scifi, a large part of which doesn't get translated.
8 x

kleene*star
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Advanced), Hebrew (beginner)

Postby kleene*star » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:26 pm

Cavesa wrote: But yep, some people won't find it cool, because we did it for HP and not Dickens or Shakespeare :-D

What kind of person would expect a kid to read Shakespeare in any language, let alone in the original, sixteenth century English? :shock:
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:15 am

kleene*star wrote:
Cavesa wrote: But yep, some people won't find it cool, because we did it for HP and not Dickens or Shakespeare :-D

What kind of person would expect a kid to read Shakespeare in any language, let alone in the original, sixteenth century English? :shock:

Well, it is very common in translation. The first time Shakespeare was on the obligatory reading list, I was like 12 years old. The age was not the issue though. At that point in life, I was choosing my books by length and epicness, my favourite authors were Dumas, Hugo, King, and other representats of the "the longer, the better" attitude. Shakespeare just couldn't interest me at that point of life. But a few years later, I enjoyed some of his plays, because I was simply busier and appreciated short obligatory books more :-D :-D :-D

Who am I kidding, I still prefer loooooong books :-D It wasn't just a phase. But I can appreciate the short ones too now.

One of the main missing pieces on the market though, in my opinion, is promoting not just plurilingualism, but also non-anglophone authors. The author of the blog this thread is about, is awesome. But how does he get to know about the target books in the first place? I think his latest Romanian example is one of the most common ones: getting to know an author in translation, and just not waiting for the translation of another work by the same person.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:24 pm

Cavesa wrote:
kleene*star wrote:What kind of person would expect a kid to read Shakespeare in any language, let alone in the original, sixteenth century English? :shock:

Well, it is very common in translation. The first time Shakespeare was on the obligatory reading list, I was like 12 years old.

Yeah, I think it's super common to first read Romeo and Juliet around age 15, and some honors or drama students might do it at 13?

Romeo and Juliet is pretty much pure teenage angst and drama and tragedy. If it's well taught, younger teenagers absolutely enjoy it. And of course we all watched the 1996 movie, which takes its dialogue straight out of the play. I suspect Shakespeare would have liked it; he was always one for low humor, popular appeal, and reinterpreting the classics.

A Midsummer Night's Dream is often pretty popular, too. It's a farce, full of the sorts of things people stick in tasteless teenage comedies.

Honestly, the main reason not to teach Shakespeare to 10 year olds is that it has more adult humor than any Marvel movie. "The bawdy hand of the dial" would not be allowed in a PG-13 movie these days.
8 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:29 pm

I remember having to read Hamlet (in Swedish) during first (or second) year of high school. I read it in English of my own free will some years ago.
5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

cpnlsn88
White Belt

Postby cpnlsn88 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:52 pm

Some one, somewhere may have discussed (I might have commented on it) about the primary focus of language learning.

Typically in Ancient Greek and Latin one learns to access literature. I know there are more and more people who speak these languages and it's great listening to them. If language exists one should access it on as many levels as possible (I find it helpful to listen to spoken Greek and Latin and to try to improve my pronunciation where possible).

But it seems to me there's a big bifurcation in the world. Those who want flowing and spontaneous conversation and those who want to read works in whichever genre.

I guess there's a group of people who 'want it all' as well.

I only say this because the 'reading only/primarily' stream might need different materials and models to effectively reach the goal, as well as validation and, I guess, some pointers as to available content.

I think this is important because there could be a big market out there for a reading course in a given language rather than verbal efficiency and I imagine that, say, someone well read in Italian literature will be able fairly easily to develop spoken skills (maybe with some quirks).

Anyway it's worth thinking about because there might be a big market out there of people interested in language learning who are put off or not adequately catered for.

What I think it comes down to is a conversation with yourself early on and at intervals as to what you want to get out of this endeavour and tailor your learning/activities accordingly - it might be a very different outcome to that of others.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”