Felix Wang (loki2504)

General discussion about learning languages
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Felix Wang (loki2504)

Postby nooj » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 am

I think this guy deserves a lot more attention.

He's Belgian. His first language is French. With his family, he speaks Teochew. He also speaks some Cantonese and Mandarin.

He also speaks a lot of other languages, which you can see for yourself on his youtube channel. He has some interesting videos where he shares his advice.

What's impressive for me is the range of language families. Semitic (Arabic, both Classical and Moroccan, and he also dabbled in Lebanese), Sino-Tibetan, Indo-European, Turkic etc. He recently started learning Khmer. Out of all the YT language polyglots I've heard about, he is the one who has the most language diversity represented in his languages.

Look, he doesn't speak them all perfectly, but there's a clear progression scale, the more he puts work and time into it, a couple months down the road, he speaks a lot better. For example see how his Bulgarian improves.
2 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Felix Wang (loki2504)

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:05 am

Without him and Arguelles I would have never bothered trying to learn languages outside of FIGS or want to become a polyglot. I remember he used to have a bunch of Assimil reviews that I would watch when I was in college but I can't find them for some reason.
1 x

ASEAN
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Thai (A0)

Re: Felix Wang (loki2504)

Postby ASEAN » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:53 am

I think this guy deserves a lot more attention.

I have followed Felix Wang (loki2504) for years. When he was in high school his videos were consistent, very informative, and primarily in English, focusing on study routines and resources. Nowadays, many of his videos are chats with native speakers, without subtitles, and he may go months without uploading a video -- all which drives away viewers. This is to be expected since he apparently has a full-time job and is not selling any product.

His recent Cambodia videos were disappointing because he focused the camera on himself instead of the historical site he was filming in and there were a bunch of loud tourists behind him.

Loki2504 made three videos about his trip to Malaysia this year. One video was in English, one in Malay, and one in French. There no subtitles, the audio on the French video is poor, and the English video's title, "How to use the language in the target country?", and description make no mention of the Malay language. I did enjoy the English video. Before his trip to Malaysia, he spent about 45 hours learning Indonesian and he talked about how he had to go the countryside to get anyone to speak with him in Malay.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”