Sans Forgetica - new font to help you remember

General discussion about learning languages
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Sans Forgetica - new font to help you remember

Postby tommus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am

Besides being an interesting play-on-words, the newly invented font Sans Forgetica is an interesting concept that claims to improve memory of written material. It was invented and tested at the RMIT University in Australia, and is free to download.

Sans Forgetica - RMIT University

Some more articles about San Forgetica:

Researchers create 'memory-boosting' font

Sans Forgetica is the Typeface You Won’t Forget

A couple of concerns I have about using Sans Forgetica for second language learning are:

1. Would Sans Forgetica distort the text enough to make reading in your L2 too difficult and perhaps unbearable?

2. If you spent a lot of time learning your L2 by reading in Sans Forgetica, would you be less likely to recognize L2 words in regular font?

Someone wrote a comment to a Sans Forgetica article that said his handwriting would accomplish the same thing!

Anyone going to try Sans Forgetica with their L2 reading?
6 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Izabela
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Esperanto (A language I often think in).
Spanish, Portuguese, French (Some ability to read in)
Italian and Dutch (rather beginner-ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9014

Re: Sans Forgetica - new font to help you remember

Postby Izabela » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:13 pm

I don't know, at least for me it seems so uncomfortable to decode and read that it might discourage me from reading in it any extensive period of time.

OTOH, maybe there is something to the idea that that process will force you to remember it, sort of like a traumatic experience!
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:54 pm

I could see myself using this on occasion.
I remember when the first nice e-ink e-readers came out and we realized we could read much faster than on paper. It didn't take long also to realize that reading so easily had a cost to memory.
This effect is combatable through font changes or just by reading slower & more deliberately. It's interesting to have a font that proves to be the best here, but doesn't make it any sort of magic.
A lot of L2 study is not about memorizing content at all, so in that case you wouldn't want to be slowed down like this, but maybe changing a grammar into this font before reading through it would be helpful.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm

Surely over time your brain would get used to decoding the font and any possible memory benefits would therefore wear off?
5 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:02 pm

I couldn't find any papers from the font developers, which usually isn't a good sign. Maybe another LLORG member with better Google-Fu than me can find it.
However, according to interviews with the creator, Sans Forgetica increased the retention rate by only 7%, which isn't that much, also, according to some scientists hard-to-read fonts aren't as good as they're cracked up to be.
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:08 pm

Fraktur.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:44 am

Setting aside the reliability of the evidence, the first question is really whether the principle applies here, as Ani alludes to.

The principle behind difficult-to-read is about forcing concentration, but it also relies on us being cognitively prepared to fill in the gaps. In your native language, you don't actually have to process the shape of every letter, because your brain happily recognises what it's look at. This even works in words you haven't seen before (foreign borrowings excepted) because you know which combinations of letters are possible.

However, with a relatively new language, you don't have that same background knowledge to help you, which means there's a risk that your brain might misinterpret the word forms based on L1 patterns. Of course, that might not be the case. But then again, if the point of difficult-to-read is to force your brain to make an effort... well, isn't it already difficult to read in a foreign language? There obviously must come a point where layering difficulty upon difficulty leaves things as "too difficult", plain and simple.

If you're talking about isolated vocabulary learning, it looks even more dubious to me, because when reading facts and information, we also have sentence context to help alleviate the difficulty, which is entirely absent in vocab lists, flashcards etc.
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”