LLORG Poll

General discussion about learning languages
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: LLORG Poll

Postby Serpent » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:06 pm

Ok, so how should I answer? I basically got language learning ingrained into my lifestyle as much as possible. Nowadays I mostly just consume content, but I do have an intent of learning more. The closest I get to any formal learning is when I look up words in online dictionaries or use an automatic translation as a parallel text (and actually compare the original and the translation, of course).
I also practise my languages whenever it makes sense but I don't deliberately seek out opportunities (apart from choosing to travel to a country where my L2 is spoken).
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Serpent wrote:Ok, so how should I answer? I basically got language learning ingrained into my lifestyle as much as possible. Nowadays I mostly just consume content, but I do have an intent of learning more. The closest I get to any formal learning is when I look up words in online dictionaries or use an automatic translation as a parallel text (and actually compare the original and the translation, of course).
I also practise my languages whenever it makes sense but I don't deliberately seek out opportunities (apart from choosing to travel to a country where my L2 is spoken).

If you would like to come up with a question that addresses that, be my guest. I can't think of one.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:23 pm

I was referring to "how much time do you dedicate to language learning". Depending on the definition, I can pick pretty much any option (but it feels really strange to pick "less than 5 hours" :shock:)
0 x
Corrections welcome

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:53 pm

Serpent wrote:I was referring to "how much time do you dedicate to language learning". Depending on the definition, I can pick pretty much any option (but it feels really strange to pick "less than 5 hours" :shock:)

I think I'm doomed to be confused by everything anyone says for all eternity. Do you have a better interval for per week then?

I closed the poll today since I forgot about this until today, though luckily it was today and not some other later date.

Here is a spreadsheet where you can view responses to make conclusions about the poll yourself. If you want to help me make a fancy conclusions post, by all means help. I still need feedback because I want to do this again in six months, or whatever interval we decide.

We got 51 responses total.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:20 pm

I ended up picking 10-15. I'm pretty sure other learners didn't exclude the hours spent on input (and indeed I see that many picked 20+, which I also could have picked).

The problem is not with the intervals but with how we define learning. Formal learning should count by definition, but my question was whether input counts and whether it depends on the intent. e.g. plenty of people around the world watch/read stuff in English with no intention of learning/improving. some Swedes also watch stuff in Norwegian. for me it's pretty hard to untangle but the intention to learn is pretty much always there.
0 x
Corrections welcome

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:21 pm

It's time for another poll, I think! Anybody up for one?

If so, what would you like to see this time on the poll? We have a sizeable amount of new members that have joined since October, as well as many people visiting the forum every day that could take part. What would you like to ask them, as well as existing and veteran members of LLORG? Do you want to ask the same questions again? What could I improve on?

Should I start a new thread?
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:58 pm

With regards to the question about "how much time do you spend on language learning" maybe you could split it into two parts something like this:

1) How much time do you spend studying the language (with a course book, bilingual texts, SRS, completing exercises, intensively analyzing native content, etc)

2) How much time do you spend consuming native content or producing the target language for enjoyment? (extensively watching TV/movies, listening to audiobooks/podcasts, reading/speaking/writing in the target language for the purpose of communication)?
2 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

eido
Blue Belt

Postby eido » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:03 am

We have a new poll! Go to this thread to find the poll and answer the questions.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”