Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby David1917 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Weird video. They discuss the book and conceptions of language-learning very little. Instead, one of the guests sort of commandeers Prof A into a personal language consultation. I mean, it's sort of understandable to want to do that, but this certainly wasn't the type of "scholarly discussion circle based on Robert A Hall's book" that Prof A set out to do. I also rolled my eyes when the one person asked him how many languages he speaks.

Upon further investigation, Prof A noted as much in the video description that he felt the discussion veered too much and going forward he has asked that interested parties read the chapters of the book, attend the lecture, and then stick to it more in the Zoom sessions. So, definitely sort of mimicking the university vibe. I'm here for it.

They went into a good bit of discussion on the various learning styles (kinesthetic/visual/auditory) and sort of settled on that while many people clearly are stronger in one way or two, it doesn't negate the usage of other teaching methods entirely. I would have liked to hear more from the person who is an ESL teacher on his experiences in the classroom.

Either way, it's a positive that more videos are coming, that more educational discussions are going to continue, and that more people are going to get to meet and speak with Prof A about languages. I hope the guests next week have a slightly better conversation, though.
3 x

Vordhosbn
Orange Belt
Languages: English, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=194185

Postby Vordhosbn » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:37 am

David1917 wrote:Weird video. They discuss the book and conceptions of language-learning very little. Instead, one of the guests sort of commandeers Prof A into a personal language consultation. I mean, it's sort of understandable to want to do that, but this certainly wasn't the type of "scholarly discussion circle based on Robert A Hall's book" that Prof A set out to do. I also rolled my eyes when the one person asked him how many languages he speaks.

If it makes you feel any better, David, he apologized for that in the comments section.
0 x

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

Postby RyanSmallwood » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:33 am

I haven’t watched the video, but kind of anticipated the video discussion wouldn’t go well. There doesn’t seem to be much of a screening process, and language learning always attracts people with ambitious imaginations who haven’t started to put in the time yet. So I think there’s a strong risk of people asking basic questions and derailing from the original purpose unless something’s done to prevent it.
2 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:19 pm

I want to reiterate it was a decent watch overall. Getting Arguelles' insight into anything is generally welcome. He made it clear in the video description that he wants people to read the material before joining the next discussion. Luckily with Zoom you can just boot somebody out if it's clear they're just taking up space - wonder if he'll get that rough with it haha.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:25 pm

Lectures on Polyliteracy I.2 went up this morning. I have not had a chance to watch yet, but should be interesting of course.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:47 pm

Discussion Circle 2 based on the above video.
2 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:35 pm

I came across this Professor Arguelles video (from Concordia) this morning:

He's got a slide deck with each of his main points on self-learners using Shadowing and Scriptoreum. So, even if you don't have enough time to watch the whole video, jumping through the slides only takes a few minutes and turns up ideas like:

Shadowing - ultimately the goal is to shadow with understanding new material without the need of visuals. (listening/speaking)
Shadowing and Scriptoreum can be used on the same material and are complementary.
One can conceptualize Shadowing as an extensive input/output activity,
and Scriptoreum as an intensive in/output activity. (reading/writing)

There is flexibility in both methods and they are not limited to the above.
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Postby AllSubNoDub » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:47 pm

luke wrote:I came across this Professor Arguelles video (from Concordia) this morning:

I found this a while back as well. I actually found these to be the quickest, easiest to understand explanations of both methods (or at least it nicely summed up everything I had already watched). Also, before watching this video, I was always under the impression that the ultimate form of shadowing was:

Simultaneously Listening to the L2, Reading the L2, Speaking the L2, Understanding the L2

I'm not sure if I misunderstood all these years or if the professor just changed his mind, but it appears the ultimate form is actually:

Simultaneously Listening to the L2, Speaking the L2, Understanding the L2

In other words, the L2 text is actually still a crutch and you should strive to be able to just listen and understand. I did come to this conclusion on my own, but it was nice to see it confirmed.

Also, the way you build up from single words, to multiple words, to whole sentences (the "look away" part) makes sense and I'm glad he elaborated on this. If you try it in your L1, it's actually quite easy to keep longer passages in your short term memory, insanely difficult for newer languages. Scriptorium done in this way helps to build up your mental RAM for the language.
3 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:10 pm

AllSubNoDub wrote:
luke wrote:I'm not sure if I misunderstood all these years or if the professor just changed his mind, but it appears the ultimate form is actually:

Simultaneously Listening to the L2, Speaking the L2, Understanding the L2

In the old hour-long video on Shadowing, he did say that the final stage would be to take the audio from an Assimil course and go on a long walk and shadow the whole thing without the book, and understand everything. Obviously, there were more posts and discussions on the "middle" stages of doing it with an Assimil course, and I too would occasionally forget the final stage of just being able to do the whole thing audio only, coming full-circle to where you theoretically began. And that's sort of what we saw in the "Advanced Shadowing Demonstration" video from a couple weeks back, where it was shadowing Arabic & Latin and understanding perfectly well everything being said. Theoretically, one should also be able to do that with an unknown text as well at some point.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”