New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

General discussion about learning languages
David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby David1917 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:23 pm

Here's a couple new videos I forgot to link.

Interesting general tips on focus, relaxation, etc. Nothing really new or profound though, and the second video sort of revisits things he discussed a lot on HTLAL - literally imagining a file cabinet in your brain with different drawers for each language, etc. Nonetheless, a good review and helpful tip.
2 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:06 pm

No language-learning tips in this one, just some philosophy on navigating globalization, especially in megacities like Dubai or Singapore where he has direct experience.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:07 pm

Hi everyone

I hesitated to keep bumping the thread for these shorter videos, but the most recent video Prof A posted is extremely interesting (see below).

First, the short videos on general study techniques, each is only about 5 min long:
Mental Exercise Analogies
Back and Forth Language Study
Time-Based vs. Task-Based Foreign Language Study

Then he uploaded a continuation of the previous conversation on Arabic literature:
Arabic Literature - Ibrahim Nasrallah

Finally, here is the most recent video. In it, he dramatically announces his departure from Dubai by standing in the snow-covered woods of Minnesota, US where he has taken a position at the Concordia Language Villages. He talks mostly about the logistical problems of leaving Dubai, but also includes some info about the new job and promises for more videos on language techniques. This could very well be the start of his long-envisioned polyglot academy.
6 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:25 am

The return!

This is mostly a promotional video for sending an adolescent/teenager to Concordia to learn Swedish, but we do now get a sample vid of Dr. Arguelles using this language. The audio quality as usual leaves something to be desired, but this does give a little glimpse into his new environs.
2 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:51 am

David1917 wrote:

No language-learning tips in this one, just some philosophy on navigating globalization, especially in megacities like Dubai or Singapore where he has direct experience.

Just a few comments:

Singapore and Dubai are not megacities - the threshold for megacities is 10 million inhabitants and both fall well short of that. That was probably just a slip on your part. They certainly are big, global cities.

I agree with Argüelles’ about the trend to homogenisation in big cities around the world but take issue with his observation that there is “very little Chinese or South East Asian flavour” in Singapore. English and Mandarin are the two main languages spoken at home and they have very nearly the same numbers. Add the Chinese dialects spoken at home and you have more Chinese speakers than English speakers. I know that the dialects are in decline but it seems hard to say that there is little Chinese flavour when the Chinese languages still hold the lead.

I know Argüelles lived in Singapore for a while so it’s surprising to hear him make such a comment - perhaps he stayed inside too much, studying. And shopped at a supermarket and not one of the many local markets. There may be plenty of MacDonald’s but there are way more outlets selling Chinese/Malay/Indian/Singaporean food.

Generally, I think it’s a mistake to equate steel and glass architecture with westernisation or americanisation or even globalisation and Argüelles goes there. You don’t need to have pagodas or kampong architecture to have Chinese or SEA “flavour”.

I think changes to culture are actually more likely to be mediated by film/television/internet than architecture or food. It’s a pity he didn’t touch on those.
6 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:57 am

Professor Arguelles has posted a new video, the first in a series called From Start to Finnish. No language learning strategies in this one, but it's pretty charming. Among the language villages he's now the director of is one whose language he didn't already speak, namely Finnish, so he's learning it as a villager, and here we see him on his first day.

6 x

David1917
Blue Belt

Postby David1917 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:24 pm

Just watched this a little bit ago - should definitely be an interesting series!
1 x

jonm
Orange Belt
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Yeah, I think it's really cool that he's sharing the journey. I've read his account of how he learned his languages (here and on the old forum), but I've never gotten to see him in the early stages with a new language. I wonder if he'll be using his usual methods such as shadowing Assimil or only the activities in the language village. Also curious at what point he'll start reading and working up to classic literature. In any case, it's cool seeing his commitment to Finnish only and the attitude he brings to learning a new language, very "beginner's mind."
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:30 pm

I knew the counting from my time with "Finnish with extra pain" but he didn't seem to say Imonenun much.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:57 pm

jonm wrote:Yeah, I think it's really cool that he's sharing the journey. I've read his account of how he learned his languages (here and on the old forum), but I've never gotten to see him in the early stages with a new language. I wonder if he'll be using his usual methods such as shadowing Assimil or only the activities in the language village. Also curious at what point he'll start reading and working up to classic literature. In any case, it's cool seeing his commitment to Finnish only and the attitude he brings to learning a new language, very "beginner's mind."

How much litterature is there in Finnish? Given Finland spent most of its existence as part of another country, I wouldn't imagine much, but their are certainly exceptions to that rule, Catalan for example.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Return to “General Language Discussion”