New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

General discussion about learning languages
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: New Prof Argüelles Youtube Series

Postby luke » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:24 am

Kraut wrote:
thevagrant88 wrote:Summary: think in the language and read “great” books.

plus: "bilingual texts are such a key to effective language learning"

And "read them before you quit studying". The language will come back when you return.
0 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Vordhosbn
Orange Belt
Languages: English, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=194185

Postby Vordhosbn » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:12 pm

From https://www.youtube.com/user/ProfASAr/community:

Alexander Arguelles wrote:Hello everyone, just letting you know that I will be doing an AMA on r/languagelearning this weekend. Drop by to ask me a question from Friday (7AM Chicago Time) to Sunday. Hope to see you there! https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning
4 x

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:12 pm

Vordhosbn wrote:From https://www.youtube.com/user/ProfASAr/community:

Alexander Arguelles wrote:Hello everyone, just letting you know that I will be doing an AMA on r/languagelearning this weekend. Drop by to ask me a question from Friday (7AM Chicago Time) to Sunday. Hope to see you there! https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearning

Here's a direct link to the AMA, in case anyone wants to check it out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/languagelearni ... nd_former/
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:38 pm

Medieval Literary Languages of Western Europe:

Duration: 43:38

A library tour of resources for learning Celtic, Germanic, and Romance literary languages of the European Middle Ages, together with a comparative-historical / philological discussion of some of their features. This video follows up on a previous presentation of specific texts that might supplement the canon of the Great Books of the Western World.(...)
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:16 pm

The 6-language factor - a benchmark to structure your progress:

Duration: 20:32
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:56 pm

Summary:

There are places in the world (Africa, India) where 10-12 languages are used. However, people speak 'only' 5-6 of them, and not even at the same level. So the brain is probably designed in a way that makes the usage of 5-6-7 languages normal and possible. (You don't need to be extremely intelligent to achieve this.) Those people who live in monolingual cultures can learn and maintain 6 languages even if they don't sacrifice their whole life for language learning. You don't need to have a perfect command of these languages unless you're an interpreter or a spy. There's no ultimate list for the languages, you can choose for yourself. Those who go on and learn more, will find that the learning process becomes easier after 6, the brain doesn't resist anymore.
5 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:11 pm

5-7 wildly diverse languages, or 5-7 languages in close proximity feeding into one another and supporting one another?
1 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:41 pm

He recommends something that has cultural relevance in your country, a heritage language, something exotic, a world language. I listened to it during cooking so I might have missed something, but I had the impression that he suggests people to choose languages that they have some connection with (family, history, interest), and the structure of these languages is not really important. For him it was French, German, Spanish, Latin, Greek and Sanskrit, if I remember well, but he emphasises that this list is not something that we should follow, because it's personal.

If you don't base your choice on similarity (the easier the better) and you follow his advice of 'connection' or think about the possibilities that a language opens for you, you probably end up with a varied list, anyway. Like I'd end up with English (world-culture), German (heritage-neighbour-history-culture), Russian (history-world), Croatian (heritage-neighbour), Spanish (interest-world-culture) and Chinese (world-exotic).

But I guess my current language list is OK, too. And I have to admit that he seems to be right, I feel that that's the most I can maintain. Spanish is already pushing out some of my English, if that makes sense. It's very rare that I remember a word in all of my languages, they come to my mind automatically in a seemingly random way. Although German is partly dormant, it takes the lead surprisingly often.
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:07 pm

BeaP wrote:He recommends something that has cultural relevance in your country, a heritage language, something exotic, a world language. I listened to it during cooking so I might have missed something, but I had the impression that he suggests people to choose languages that they have some connection with (family, history, interest), and the structure of these languages is not really important. For him it was French, German, Spanish, Latin, Greek and Sanskrit, if I remember well, but he emphasises that this list is not something that we should follow, because it's personal.

If you don't base your choice on similarity (the easier the better) and you follow his advice of 'connection' or think about the possibilities that a language opens for you, you probably end up with a varied list, anyway. Like I'd end up with English (world-culture), German (heritage-neighbour-history-culture), Russian (history-world), Croatian (heritage-neighbour), Spanish (interest-world-culture) and Chinese (world-exotic).

But I guess my current language list is OK, too. And I have to admit that he seems to be right, I feel that that's the most I can maintain. Spanish is already pushing out some of my English, if that makes sense. It's very rare that I remember a word in all of my languages, they come to my mind automatically in a seemingly random way. Although German is partly dormant, it takes the lead surprisingly often.

I actually asked about this during this most recent AMA. You can see his response here
4 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:41 pm

I must admit I still don't get this take: "There are some tribes in Africa that can speak in 6 languages, hence you can definitely learn 6 languages, including some exotic ones, to read classical books in them". So, someone can negotiate a deal on the market, or have a small talk in several languages — how on Earth can you extrapolate from that that an average Joe will be able to read, say, Goethe, Proust, Dante, Homer, Koran, and Cervantes in the original?..
Last edited by einzelne on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”